Morecambe away FA Cup

Just watching the EFL programme on Quest..

Watching Oxford tearing open Morecambe gives me hope for next week..... When I saw the draw I dreaded our chances...
Seeing how bad the Morecambe defence looked yesterday I hope we have a good chance with our two in form strikers....
As well as we played yesterday I still think our midfield will look a bit weak against better opposition... We have done well against two poor sides but Morecambe is another level or two up in quality... Will they cope???

Re: Morecambe away FA Cup

My guess is that Rowberry will play the same team barring injuries. He said yesterday that he wants to keep up the moment and he knows how important the FA Cup is to the club. If he weakens the side against what is going to be a difficult opponent for us, and loses, the bubble may burst.

G Guest wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:40 am My guess is that Rowberry will play the same team barring injuries. He said yesterday that he wants to keep up the moment and he knows how important the FA Cup is to the club. If he weakens the side against what is going to be a difficult opponent for us, and loses, the bubble may burst.
I tend to agree with that, a weakened side will pose no threat to Morecambe, our strongest will have enough of a task as it is.

Morecambe isn't an extra game. It's part of the regular Saturday schedule of matches. Why on earth would Rowberry rest first choice players to give fringe players some game time? A bizarre idea, especially when the rotations of Flynn’s last couple of months seem to have been a problem, not a solution.

I agree that the main team will not be rested for the FA Cup game , no game fir the main team until the following Friday , as for Swindon in the Papa Johns , Townsend, Hall, Collins , Woodiwiss , Hylton , Abrahams, Livermore , Ellison ,Greenidge, Twamley will make up the crux of the team , still strong for that competition
Last edited by Jdw4127 on October 31st, 2021, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jdw4127 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 3:07 pm I agree that the main team will not be rested for the FA Cup game , no game fir the main team until the following Friday , as for Swindon in the Papa Johns , Townsend, Hall, Ellison , Collins , Woodiwiss , Hylton , Abrahams, Livermore , Ellison ,Greenidge, Twamley will make up the crux of the team , still strong for that competition
Would suggest an ideal match to re_introduce Dolan ,if fit, rather than change a winning side against Morecombe.

excessbee wrote: October 31st, 2021, 2:53 pm Morecambe isn't an extra game. It's part of the regular Saturday schedule of matches. Why on earth would Rowberry rest first choice players to give fringe players some game time? A bizarre idea, especially when the rotations of Flynn’s last couple of months seem to have been a problem, not a solution.

11 changes at Ipswich didn't do to bad

Jdw4127 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 3:07 pm I agree that the main team will not be rested for the FA Cup game , no game fir the main team until the following Friday , as for Swindon in the Papa Johns , Townsend, Hall, Ellison , Collins , Woodiwiss , Hylton , Abrahams, Livermore , Ellison ,Greenidge, Twamley will make up the crux of the team , still strong for that competition
I would stick Missilou in that squad rather than play Kev in two positions but yes,that would be the starting eleven for Swindon.

UPTHEPORT wrote: October 31st, 2021, 5:24 pm
excessbee wrote: October 31st, 2021, 2:53 pm Morecambe isn't an extra game. It's part of the regular Saturday schedule of matches. Why on earth would Rowberry rest first choice players to give fringe players some game time? A bizarre idea, especially when the rotations of Flynn’s last couple of months seem to have been a problem, not a solution.

11 changes at Ipswich didn't do to bad
The FA cup is worth far more than the League Cup and a Saturday is provided for it. The League Cup is played mid week and since prize money is minimal everybody these days puts out fringe players. In the FA cup Morecambe will put out a strong third division team. If we weaken ours we will most likely be out of the cup by 5p.m.

Percy plunkett wrote: October 31st, 2021, 6:15 pm
I would stick Missilou in that squad rather than play Kev in two positions but yes,that would be the starting eleven for Swindon.
Hands up I totally forgot about Missilou, but I thought it a bit light on defenders even though I wasn’t naming a starting 11, just pointing out some alternatives to the starting team at present . Agree it would be good to get Matty in if needing game time after his injury , also possibly Scot if he’s not to far away ??

Good Morning

I think this cup tie has gone under the radar a bit, hardly any reaction to the draw being made. Probably because it’s thought that’s our cup run over before it’s started. Or at least that was the case before the manager change. I like the FA Cup and ordinarily would make every effort to attend, but this one I just can’t get excited for. It’s kind of like holding ones breath until it’s over and see where we are.
The distance is also a factor, it’s a long way up there!
I hope we can achieve at least a draw, ( are there replays?) and I will eagerly await the second round draw with renewed anticipation.

Phil in Northampton