Re: Green County?

32
Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 6th, 2021, 9:29 am Morning Mike,
Another idea on which I would be interested to know people's views. I can understand the 3-00pm kick-off time on Saturday's in the era of when the working week included Saturday mornings. However with changing work patterns I wonder if when the clocks go back whether it might not be an idea to kick-off games at 2-00pm. Saving the energy and cost of flood-lighting.
Hi Brendan, I’ll add that idea to the list. It’s obviously not straightforward though. Fan consultation would be paramount I think. However, in the context of ‘green’ issues it is a win - win.

The more I read this week about club initiatives, the more I understand that there is a lot more as fans and as clubs that we could do.

Re: Green County?

33
That's the thing Mike, lots of ideas turn out to be more complicated than originally thought. As with the idea above of the club running a shuttle bus between Rodney Parade and the railway station. I commend the club for trying. If it failed it was because what to people, who may not be as ambulant as most, are to do when they get of the train or bus at the other end two miles from their home? That said looking ideas and asking people what they think is always good practise.

Re: Green County?

34
Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 11:14 am
pembsexile wrote: November 6th, 2021, 8:55 am Some good suggestions coming in. My contribution to the travel idea was that we reduce the amount of travel or use EV. No way would I want the club to have to fork out for shared travel. If there would be a bus to travel the Newport catchment area, it would be right and proper that the travelling fans pay for it. Needs a lot more thought but it could be done. Colins idea of a Uber type app is great.

I have no idea as to the current Newport transport arrangements (times and routes of buses etc) as I don’t live locally anymore. We could pick up the fans who can’t travel anymore. One of our prominent posters on here doesn’t go to games anymore because of restricted travel arrangements. He may use the facility if it was available.

I have been reliably informed that the efl are about to issue some kind of green initiative to clubs. It will be interesting to see what it is about. Good on them but we don’t want FGR to get too far ahead of us in this table!

Please keep the ideas coming in and I will make a list of the ideas at a later date.

https://www.fflecsi.wales/locations/newport/

This is what is available in Newport, which covers up to 11pm. The idea is to reduce the amount of fixed service buses running next to empty, and is obviously a green initiative, as well as sensible.

Some under fifteens are bussed by the academy, where they have difficult transport options.

Providing an alternative to public transport, is just adding to the problem, not providing a green initiative.

As for starting a bus in Ebbw Vale, I have met County fans who used to come to games from there, as well as Brynmawr, Blaina, Nantyglo and Abertillery. However they were all well into their 80's.

I would suggest that a car sharing service is better for the valleys, along the lines that Colin has suggested.

Finally did the ill fated Ebbw Vale/Newport Rugby franchise deliver many Ebbw Vale based fans?
I don't believe you can just join separate populations together, and assume they will act as one.
Thanks for the link. However, I note that service is for the Newport area. What about transport for people in the Cwmbran, Croesyceilog, Blackwood, Pontypool area. How many people are out there who don’t go to games because of the unavailability of transport from their area. I disagree that alternative transport will necessarily add to the carbon footprint. In my original post I mentioned the use of EV. Now, the infrastructure cost of this would be prohibitive, certainly for the club. Answer - are there any companies out there that run EV (small buses) and would provide this transport for fans of the club. I don’t know but I’m sure someone else will.

I have no views regarding starting a bus in EBbw Vale. I think that is a rugby mindset, not football. That is not to exclude them of course but I was thinking along the lines of the places I mentioned. Also have no idea why car sharing is not promoted better as you suggest. In my work there is a company that promotes car sharing for work. I get regular emails about it as do many others so it could work.

I await the efl green initiative with baited breath.

Re: Green County?

35
Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 6th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 12:31 pm Personally I don't think email is where the UK is at, compared to an app.
I have no idea what it would cost to construct an app, however Peter Managan did have a software company, so would know who to ask.
I would guess that the cost might initially be high, but it would be something that could be licensed to interested third parties. That's assuming that software doesn't already exist.

Should it be decided that it is worthwhile costing, and then going forward, there are COVID Business Bounce Back grants available at present at 2.5% per annum.
Newport County put a small feature in the match programme. Merely saying that if there are fans who travel by car who would be interested in car sharing then the club will pass on email addresses and general area where the journey commences. As there is virtually no cost what can be the harm?

A few years ago I took a man in the last year of his life to about 10 games. He had given up on the idea that he would ever see County again. We 'met' on this board. Sometimes low tech solutions work. Worth a go don't you think?
The programme these days is tiny compared to the days when it was a main source of information. Fans can obtain the actual team lineups from social media and even this forum before the game starts. If you want to get info to the fans, the programme is no longer the way to do it.
If you have used the Uber App you will appreciate how impressive it is compared to standing at a taxi rank/office/bus or train station.
If an oven ready App is not available then I see this as a massive opportunity for the club to licence a product.

Re: Green County?

36
Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Newport County put a small feature in the match programme. Merely saying that if there are fans who travel by car who would be interested in car sharing then the club will pass on email addresses and general area where the journey commences. As there is virtually no cost what can be the harm?

A few years ago I took a man in the last year of his life to about 10 games. He had given up on the idea that he would ever see County again. We 'met' on this board. Sometimes low tech solutions work. Worth a go don't you think?
The programme these days is tiny compared to the days when it was a main source of information. Fans can obtain the actual team lineups from social media and even this forum before the game starts. If you want to get info to the fans, the programme is no longer the way to do it.
If you have used the Uber App you will appreciate how impressive it is compared to standing at a taxi rank/office/bus or train station.
If an oven ready App is not available then I see this as a massive opportunity for the club to licence a product.
[/quote]

Even if you are right, what harm can it do?

No I don't have an Uber Ap. I have no objection, in fact I think it would be a good idea, for the club to look into an Uber Style Ap. I genuinely don't understand why you think County should close down any option.

Re: Green County?

37
Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 6th, 2021, 1:46 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Newport County put a small feature in the match programme. Merely saying that if there are fans who travel by car who would be interested in car sharing then the club will pass on email addresses and general area where the journey commences. As there is virtually no cost what can be the harm?

A few years ago I took a man in the last year of his life to about 10 games. He had given up on the idea that he would ever see County again. We 'met' on this board. Sometimes low tech solutions work. Worth a go don't you think?
The programme these days is tiny compared to the days when it was a main source of information. Fans can obtain the actual team lineups from social media and even this forum before the game starts. If you want to get info to the fans, the programme is no longer the way to do it.
If you have used the Uber App you will appreciate how impressive it is compared to standing at a taxi rank/office/bus or train station.
If an oven ready App is not available then I see this as a massive opportunity for the club to licence a product.
Even if you are right, what harm can it do?

No I don't have an Uber Ap. I have no objection, in fact I think it would be a good idea, for the club to look into an Uber Style Ap. I genuinely don't understand why you think County should close down any option.
[/quote]

Because it has been tried before, the OBE's tried it in the heyday of the forum and email. These days this forum is not used by those that prefer social media, neither is the programme. While it is nice to be inclusive, with anything Green, if you want to attract new fans then the way to do it is via an App.

I would suggest that you download the Uber App next time you are in a big City and perhaps it will open your eyes.

Re: Green County?

38
I still don't understand your argument.

If something can be done at zero cost then a cost benefit analysis will give it the go ahead. It simply doesn't cost the club to act as a conduit for supporters. I still buy a programme whenever I go to a football match. If I still lived in the UK and drove to watch County say 25 times a season, as I once did, I would respond to such a feature in the programme. Living in Crouch End, Witham and Reading over the last 20 years in the UK I would have been delighted to car share. I do agree with your idea of car sharing, it makes perfect sense. It may be that the cost of an App is prohibitive, but I don't know. If without even bothering to look I was to say an App wouldn't work because it would cost too much I'd be wrong because I don't have the relevant facts. Not everyone uses the same forms of communication as I do.

This forum might not be much used by those who use social media. But I use it, you use it. Do you know how many copies of the programme are bought? Or how many people read each copy? Without knowing those figures I fail to see the logic in your argument.

Re: Green County?

39
Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 6th, 2021, 2:45 pm I still don't understand your argument.

If something can be done at zero cost then a cost benefit analysis will give it the go ahead. It simply doesn't cost the club to act as a conduit for supporters. I still buy a programme whenever I go to a football match. If I still lived in the UK and drove to watch County say 25 times a season, as I once did, I would respond to such a feature in the programme. Living in Crouch End, Witham and Reading over the last 20 years in the UK I would have been delighted to car share. I do agree with your idea of car sharing, it makes perfect sense. It may be that the cost of an App is prohibitive, but I don't know. If without even bothering to look I was to say an App wouldn't work because it would cost too much I'd be wrong because I don't have the relevant facts. Not everyone uses the same forms of communication as I do.

This forum might not be much used by those who use social media. But I use it, you use it. Do you know how many copies of the programme are bought? Or how many people read each copy? Without knowing those figures I fail to see the logic in your argument.
Do you know how many copies of the programme are purchased, as it is you advocating this course of action.
More to the point, if County are trying to attract new fans to join existing fans in a green way, then they have to have access to do so. So how exactly does a potential fan buy a programme to see the message?

Because it worked for you, doesn't mean it is easy or even possible for everyone.

Re: Green County?

40
Bangitintrnet wrote: November 6th, 2021, 3:08 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 6th, 2021, 2:45 pm I still don't understand your argument.

If something can be done at zero cost then a cost benefit analysis will give it the go ahead. It simply doesn't cost the club to act as a conduit for supporters. I still buy a programme whenever I go to a football match. If I still lived in the UK and drove to watch County say 25 times a season, as I once did, I would respond to such a feature in the programme. Living in Crouch End, Witham and Reading over the last 20 years in the UK I would have been delighted to car share. I do agree with your idea of car sharing, it makes perfect sense. It may be that the cost of an App is prohibitive, but I don't know. If without even bothering to look I was to say an App wouldn't work because it would cost too much I'd be wrong because I don't have the relevant facts. Not everyone uses the same forms of communication as I do.

This forum might not be much used by those who use social media. But I use it, you use it. Do you know how many copies of the programme are bought? Or how many people read each copy? Without knowing those figures I fail to see the logic in your argument.
Do you know how many copies of the programme are purchased, as it is you advocating this course of action.
More to the point, if County are trying to attract new fans to join existing fans in a green way, then they have to have access to do so. So how exactly does a potential fan buy a programme to see the message?

Because it worked for you, doesn't mean it is easy or even possible for everyone.
Absolutely. Because it worked for doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And no, I don't know how many copies of the programme are sold.

However that is not really addressing the question. Let's break it down.

B believes car sharing is a good idea, both in terms of being green and hopefully increasing attendances.

S agrees with B. And adds that what is required is for as many people as possible should be connected.

B agrees with S and suggests County look at perhaps incorporating an Uber style App.

S agrees with B. And adds why stop there? We need to examine as many ways as possible to connect as many people as possible. Including information on this board, in the Newport County programme, indeed anywhere where this might be viable.

B doesn't agree. Which is fine. I just don't understand why?

Re: Green County?

41
It's not free though, it costs time and app / coding experience to design and launch this. Both of which, we don't have in the County fandom nor club.

I can't even attract someone with basic web skills to help moderate this forum despite pulling in 7.48K unique visitors in the last 7 days.

Great idea but we lack the ability to execute.

Re: Green County?

43
Jack wrote: November 6th, 2021, 4:09 pm It's not free though, it costs time and app / coding experience to design and launch this. Both of which, we don't have in the County fandom nor club.

I can't even attract someone with basic web skills to help moderate this forum despite pulling in 7.48K unique visitors in the last 7 days.

Great idea but we lack the ability to execute.
Perhaps not, however Peter Manigan would know who to ask, and who could provide the skill and at what cost.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: portskewett