Re: Open Meeting

Unless my instincts are wrong, and they might be, I suspect the club are going to announce at this meeting that a new deal has been agreed with the owners of Rodney Parade that Newport County's license to play at the stadium has been extended.

If this is the case, and I stress if, there are two questions I would want answered. How much have Newport County forked out in rent since 2012. And how much is it intended that we pay out during the course of the new agreement.

From the last trust minutes......

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
PM asked whether an open meeting for supporters was planned now most Covid restrictions had been lifted. GF said we were looking at a meeting towards the end of November. NS to book the date and venue, with announcement to follow in due course.

Also when the Dragons Chairman - David Buttress - did his podcast, (where he discussed the future of the relationship between the Dragons the County and Rodney Parade), he mentioned that the Dragon's needed to first be separated from the WRU, and then sign a new "lease" and at the same time County would sign a new "lease".

I therefore think that your crystal ball needs a bit of a polish.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 7th, 2021, 3:23 pm From the last trust minutes......

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
PM asked whether an open meeting for supporters was planned now most Covid restrictions had been lifted. GF said we were looking at a meeting towards the end of November. NS to book the date and venue, with announcement to follow in due course.

Also when the Dragons Chairman - David Buttress - did his podcast, (where he discussed the future of the relationship between the Dragons the County and Rodney Parade), he mentioned that the Dragon's needed to first be separated from the WRU, and then sign a new "lease" and at the same time County would sign a new "lease".

Why do we need to wait for the Dragon to separate from WRU? That might never happen. We need to start talking to the WRU ourselves now. Who is he to tell us we should wait until their future is ok?

Torquay Exile wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Why do we need to wait for the Dragon to separate from WRU? That might never happen. We need to start talking to the WRU ourselves now. Who is he to tell us we should wait until their future is ok?
I think what you have to remember is that we are beholden to the rugby. And that for me is the problem. It makes sense for a city the size of Newport for the rugby and football club to share the stadium. However no relationship every works unless power is balanced. You are right in your analysis that the Dragons and the WRU may never separate. It is possible but very unlikely that the WRU might throw Dragons under a bus, it is far less unlikely that the WRU won't throw Newport County under a bus.

I don't know the relationship between David Buttress and the WRU. However the relationship between the WRU and Newport County. It's Master and supplicant.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 7th, 2021, 3:23 pm From the last trust minutes......

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

It's not David Buttress calling the shots, it's the Landlord. Why should the Landlord do anything with regards Leases? They have shown their commitment with expenditure not required by the lease.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:51 pm

I think what you have to remember is that we are beholden to the rugby. And that for me is the problem. It makes sense for a city the size of Newport for the rugby and football club to share the stadium. However no relationship every works unless power is balanced. You are right in your analysis that the Dragons and the WRU may never separate. It is possible but very unlikely that the WRU might throw Dragons under a bus, it is far less unlikely that the WRU won't throw Newport County under a bus.

I don't know the relationship between David Buttress and the WRU. However the relationship between the WRU and Newport County. It's Master and supplicant.
How many Landlords throw their tenants under a bus? Newport Rugby chose to leave, as the facilities were too much for them to afford. Same as Coventry City, if you play at at level that doesn't require the expenditure, then you have to move.

Stan, you are right. It does feel as if we are slaves to the master (or gatekeepers in our case). That is why we need to sign at least a new ten-year agreement starting from 2023 until 2033. We shouldn't be waiting for the Dragon to sort themselves out first. Am I wrong in remembering a while back, someone mentioned the Dragons might be moving to north wales (or thinking about moving)?

Jack wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:58 pm Published May 2021;

I can re-upload the Buttress interview to 1912 Exiles if anyone wishes to re-listen?

I will likely reach out to him at the end of this season again to chat Dragons / County, it gave great insight.

Yes please, I would like to listen to it.

Torquay Exile wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Stan, you are right. It does feel as if we are slaves to the master (or gatekeepers in our case). That is why we need to sign at least a new ten-year agreement starting from 2023 until 2033. We shouldn't be waiting for the Dragon to sort themselves out first. Am I wrong in remembering a while back, someone mentioned the Dragons might be moving to north wales (or thinking about moving)?
Stan also thought that the Dragon's would lay a plastic pitch to kick us out. They didn't and the WRU haven't. Why spend the money they have, when laying a plastic pitch next year would suffice?
Of Course they could still arrange for a large bus to drive over us, or some other catastrophic event that the legal industry fantasize so much about.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 7th, 2021, 7:19 pm
Torquay Exile wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Stan also thought that the Dragon's would lay a plastic pitch to kick us out. They didn't and the WRU haven't. Why spend the money they have, when laying a plastic pitch next year would suffice?
Of Course they could still arrange for a large bus to drive over us, or some other catastrophic event that the legal industry fantasize so much about.
And let us not forget that we paid half of the bill also.

Torquay Exile wrote: November 7th, 2021, 7:07 pm
Jack wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:58 pm Published May 2021;

I can re-upload the Buttress interview to 1912 Exiles if anyone wishes to re-listen?

I will likely reach out to him at the end of this season again to chat Dragons / County, it gave great insight.

Yes please, I would like to listen to it.
Okay, I'll post a re-release in this thread when I get around to it.

landinho wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:29 pm Pretty sure the board will be bound by confidentiality and unable to disclose the lease terms. As said above though, a long lease would be positive. The WRU may well be more willing to do that once private ownership is realised by the Dragons.
First of all as I said above my feeling is that a deal may well have already been done. If it hasn't been the license only has 18 months left to run. So we are cutting it fine.

Nothing wrong with this but we haven't got, nor will be be buying a lease, it will be a license.

My concern really lies in the immediate future in something that you allude to in your post. You say the WRU may well be more willing to do........ the problem with may is that it recognizes the possibility at the very least of may not.