GRANDSTAND: Hartlepool United, Away (Match-day Thread)

15 Nov 2013 Newport County v Hartlepool United W 2-0 League Two
15 Feb 2014 Hartlepool United v Newport County L 3-0 League Two
01 Nov 2014 Hartlepool United v Newport County D 2-2 League Two
03 Apr 2015 Newport County v Hartlepool United D 2-2 League Two
18 Aug 2015 Hartlepool United v Newport County L 1-0 League Two
15 Mar 2016 Newport County v Hartlepool United D 0-0 League Two
27 Aug 2016 Hartlepool United v Newport County D 2-2 League Two
28 Jan 2017 Newport County v Hartlepool United W 3-1 League Two
Last edited by flat4 on November 12th, 2021, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: GRANDSTAND: Hartlepool United, Away (Match-day Thread)

Preview of tonight's game taken from the official Newport County web site

"County make the 279-mile trip to Victoria Park on Friday in superb league form, as a 5-0 win over Stevenage on October 30 extended our unbeaten run in the league to six games.

James Rowberry has an early 100% record in League Two as County manager, with that thrashing of Stevenage coming after a 3-1 victory at near-neighbours Bristol Rovers in his first game in charge.

The Exiles need to respond from some disappointment this week though, following defeats to Morecambe and Swindon in the FA Cup and the EFL Trophy respectively, with focus around Rodney Parade now fully on achieving its aims in League Two.

Hosts Hartlepool are in a transitional phase after manager Dave Challinor recently departed the club for ambitious National League outfit Stockport County. Caretaker manager Antony Sweeney has not lost either of his two games in temporary charge of the Pools, with a 1-0 win over Everton's U21s in the EFL Trophy being followed up by a 2-2 draw at League One Wycombe in the FA Cup.

The two sides are level on 23 points in League Two after 15 games but County's superior goal difference of 7 compared to Hartlepool's -3 has County in 8th with Hartlepool in 10th.

United need a pick-me-up in the league as, while County go into the game off the back of a 5-0 win, on the same weekend, Hartlepool lost 5-0 at Leyton Orient. Hartlepool's home form will be envied by many though, as they are unbeaten at Victoria Park so far this season and have won 19 of their last 24 matches at home.

Hartlepool will be without Gavin Holohan through injury while Jamie Sterry has been labelled "touch and go" ahead of the Friday night football in County Durham."

Preview of tonight's match taken from the official Hartlepool United web site

Following positive results in the cup against Everton U23s and League One Wycombe Wanderers, Hartlepool United turn their attention back to the league with the visit of Newport County. Friday night’s game (KO 7.45) sees Pools face The Exiles for the first time since 2017.

The Opposition

Newport currently sit two places above Pools in eight, though the Exiles are currently level on points with Tony Sweeney’s side. Like Pools, they’re one of five sides on 23 points, alongside Leyton Orient, Harrogate, and Sutton.

Led by manager James Rowberry, the Newport side features players with plenty of experience, including Hartlepool-born skipper Matty Dolan, veteran attacker Kevin Ellison, and top scorer this season, Dominic Telford.

The History

The teams have meet 44 times in the past, with Pools winning 11 of the previous encounters. 13 games have ended in a draw, while Newport have been victorious on 20 occasions, including the last match in 2017. Goals from Ryan Bird, Aaron Williams, and Dan Butler were answered by a consolation goal from Padraig Amond for Pools. The striker would go on to joint Newport following Pools’ relegation.

Team News

Tony Sweeney’s selection headache grows stronger every day with Fela Olomola and Jamie Sterry both returning to training, but Mark Cullen and Reagan Ogle continuing to provide excellent performances in the first team. Zaine Francis-Angol is also close to a return to fitness, while peripheral players such as Will Goodwin and Jake Lawlor will be hoping for a place on the bench to kickstart their season.

Good Evening
I’m looking forward to actually watching a game, even if only via I-follow tonight. Hats off to supporters who have made the epic trip to the North East today!
I’m sure it will be a close game, but I’ve had a tip off that we will win 4-0.
Hopefully a busy Grandstand tonight, extra supplies of chocolate hob nobs are on order and if we don’t score it’s just Rich Tea’s I’m afraid…

Phil in Northampton