Re: Port Vale v Bradford

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 13th, 2021, 12:46 pm Interesting thing about Flynn.

In just over four years he achieved; the great escape, three great Cup runs, defeating and drawing with some really big clubs, two Play-Off finals, and unlucky in both.

And yet when he departs, there doesn't seem to be much by way of sorrow, does there?
He did a great job at Newport. This season though he seemed to be struggling a bit, not helped no doubt by contracting Covid. I am one of Flynn's fans but I think a break will do him good. I think his next managerial role will be at Bristol Rovers.

As they say, the king is dead long live the king. It's early days but it's possible that JR will take the on step that MF failed to take.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 14th, 2021, 8:43 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: November 14th, 2021, 8:11 am Only watched the last hour but there was an undercurrent of nastiness. Either could have won but neither deserved to. Is it a huge pitch or was it just the camera position?
Not sure if it still is, but I recall for many years it was the largest pitch in the Football league.
They have ‘dabbled’ with the width of the pitch in the past few years with the last few managers. They narrowed it then widened it again. At 70.5 meters it is the second widest in L2 after Orient. It did look wide and impressive for yesterday’s game. Very green as well. It is also the second highest in the whole of the leagues. I think WBA is at the highest elevation. Good quiz question that.

One thing I picked up from the commentary was that the manager has a replication of the pitch painted on the dressing room floor for tactical discussions. I wonder if he uses the players or cutouts?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 13th, 2021, 12:46 pm Interesting thing about Flynn.

In just over four years he achieved; the great escape, three great Cup runs, defeating and drawing with some really big clubs, two Play-Off finals, and unlucky in both.

And yet when he departs, there doesn't seem to be much by way of sorrow, does there?
Stayed too long and I think off pitch issues impacted on his ability to manage players - fell out with far too many just look at Telford. Ask Spurs fans cup runs are fun but it is the league that counts - not unlucky in play off finals 240 minutes without scoring is why he failed.
The players have had a cloud lifted off them - Flynn benefitted from lifting the Westley cloud and madness but sadly left his own cloud. I hope he will but will be surprised if he gets another manager position in which he succeeds.

George Street-Bridge wrote: November 14th, 2021, 8:11 am Only watched the last hour but there was an undercurrent of nastiness. Either could have won but neither deserved to. Is it a huge pitch or was it just the camera position?
Port Vale was one of the few times I experienced real nastiness in a crowd. Went there in our 'Season of Triumph'. Miserable November day, we lost 2-0. Tommy Tynan being guilty of the worst miss I've ever seen from a County forward. But that's not why I felt it a really nasty place. In a crowd of less than 3,000 a huge proportion of Vale fans seemed up for a fight. I was charged by a baton wielding policeman on a horse who hurled abuse at me and saw a minibus with County supporters get bricked.

I've been to exactly 70 League grounds. Still have hopes of making the 92. Can't think I'll ever go back to Vale Park.

I think it must be an inward-looking place, how often do you meet someone from Stoke? Maybe because you don't go through it to get anywhere else. And it was the epicentre of the campaign to reduce young Brits' opportunities to work abroad.

The son of a friend of a friend - I know, that's getting a bit tenuous - was a young pro at Vale not long ago and apparently there was a strong drinking culture in the squad at the time.