Can I ask

The picture which greets us every time we come on this board. Clearly County attacking the railway end at Somerton Park. Taking the shot? None too sure, possibly Neil Baily? The number eight. Again maybe Steve Lowndes? Haven't the slightest clue who the opposition player is, for some reason assume Gillingham but that's no more than a wild guess.

Rather than remain in ignorance, if you know, or indeed can make a more educated guess, as always I'd be delighted to learn.

Re: Can I ask

The picture is larger when first logged in, and there is an 8 on the back. Was 8 Neil Bailey's Number? Looking at it again, the bum looks to big for Steve Lowndes. 🤔

I think Nigel Vaughan was 7, but it depends if he was playing in the match or had moved to Cardiff by then.

Interesting this. When I first looked at it I thought it was a photo of the shed terrace on the left side of the Grandstand looking from the pitch. On closer reflection, it isn’t, it is a photo of the pob bank as you can notice the small enclosure on the left hand side of the photo that was in front of the grandstand.

It must have been taken from the corner flag by the speedway pits, probably the least used part of the ground. We’re they sat on the straw/coconut mats I wonder?

I reckon that the player in the foreground is Nigel Vaughan, could be wrong though.

Having had a ferret through programmes of the era, I can confirm it was indeed Walsall who were the opponents, but in 1982-83 season when the badge on the shirt was centrally placed. The caption confirms it is Neil Bailey with the shot and the "8" shirt wearer is John Aldridge.

The photo is in the Millwall programme of that season, the away team featuring a certain Mr Allardyce at centre-half.

The programme advertises tickets for the FA Cup 3rd round tie with Everton, where a grandstand seat would have set you back £3 and a field ticket £1.50. The player feature is goalkeeper Ian Watson, who had not played for the club due to a knee injury sustained in a pre-season training collision with Steve Lowndes. Who said the lad could'nt tackle!

I believe the only season Neil Bailey played in a Patrick kit for us was 1982-83, which narrowed it down a bit. I think we played in Patrick kit from 1982-85 but didn't have a shirt sponsor (SWA) until 1983-84. Bailey moved to Wigan for the 1983-84 season. Historical kits is a helpful resource.