Re: Darren Kelly

I'm not forgetting County, just discussing the subject more broadly. Where would the business logic be for any party in agents bundling players in job lots, players signing up with agents who do that, or clubs dealing with them? OK it's a murky business, but it needs regular throughput. And agents can't themselves hold registrations of out-of-contract players AFAIK.

George Street-Bridge wrote: November 28th, 2021, 7:34 am Where would the business logic be for any party in agents bundling players in job lots, players signing up with agents who do that, or clubs dealing with them? OK it's a murky business, but it needs regular throughput. And agents can't themselves hold registrations of out-of-contract players AFAIK.
Let us examine this. Firstly the business sense.

I am a football agent. You are a football club. I get paid only if the players I act for get a club. You want to sign my star centre forward. As do your local rivals. I say well you can sign Stan 'hot shot' Einstein but only if you take George 'calamitous' Bridge as well. And if you don't well Woodland Grey Rovers will.

As for the registration. Of course I can't hold the registrations. However what possible difference does that make? Calamitous wants a job. He has a contract with me. And notwithstanding that as well as being a useless footballer he's none too bright up top I will get him one. Not only earning me money but enhancing my reputation as a killer agent.

MisterB wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:49 pm
lowandhard wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:45 pm
MisterB wrote: November 26th, 2021, 7:30 pm
lowandhard wrote: November 26th, 2021, 4:44 pm
MisterB wrote: November 26th, 2021, 4:32 pm I was listening about his system and thought of the film Moneyball 🤔
Best of luck getting money out of this club, the only one I know who got out with a profit was Jerry Sherman - he still owes me a pint!
Its not about getting money out, true story and well worth a watch
Thanks I’ll look it up, presumably an American film. My favourite sport film is “ Any Given Sunday “
Yep American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball
The film is worth a viewing. It's from the book "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis. Essentially it's a true story about a failing baseball team that has a habit of buying "dud" players based on the views expressed by their scouting team. There's an Accountant who's new to admin of the baseball team who just happens to catch the ear of the owner of the side where he outlines why last years signings could have been predicted to fail based on their stats in previous years. He suggests to the owner the players he would sign for the coming season and the owner decides it's worth a try. Obviously the coaching team and scouting network oppose the players suggested but the owner manages to reach an accord where a few of the names are employed instead of ones suggested in the "normal way". The players are successful and the following season they commit to employing players using a stat based system as opposed to recommendations from coaches or scouts. It has been employed by football, most famously by Brentford.

George Street-Bridge wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:23 am Stan, you are describing a situation where a player's movements are controlled by someone who isn't allowed to control players' movements.
No George, I'm describing what happens in the real world. You have a very common problem. You are not stupid but because you are never able to admit you are wrong, you are incapable of learning.

If agents didn't have the ability to negotiate with clubs on behalf of players what purpose would they serve? There is a lot if cash swilling around in football, and a lot of people who are lining their pockets. Financed by a million idiots, collectively known as football supporters.

Once a player is out of contract he is going to rely on his agent to get him the best new deal possible. Imagine for one moment you are 25. Imagine you have just been let go by a Championship club. Imagine you're none to bright. (You don't need to imagine that. :grin: ) Imagine your agent says "You're off to Newport County." Imagine it's that or you're on your own and football is the only life you know.

No George, I don't suppose you can imagine that, but I suspect the majority of discerning readers of this board can.

wattsville_boy wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:46 pm
MisterB wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:49 pm
lowandhard wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:45 pm
MisterB wrote: November 26th, 2021, 7:30 pm
lowandhard wrote: November 26th, 2021, 4:44 pm
MisterB wrote: November 26th, 2021, 4:32 pm I was listening about his system and thought of the film Moneyball 🤔
Best of luck getting money out of this club, the only one I know who got out with a profit was Jerry Sherman - he still owes me a pint!
Its not about getting money out, true story and well worth a watch
Thanks I’ll look it up, presumably an American film. My favourite sport film is “ Any Given Sunday “
Yep American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball
The film is worth a viewing. It's from the book "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis. Essentially it's a true story about a failing baseball team that has a habit of buying "dud" players based on the views expressed by their scouting team. There's an Accountant who's new to admin of the baseball team who just happens to catch the ear of the owner of the side where he outlines why last years signings could have been predicted to fail based on their stats in previous years. He suggests to the owner the players he would sign for the coming season and the owner decides it's worth a try. Obviously the coaching team and scouting network oppose the players suggested but the owner manages to reach an accord where a few of the names are employed instead of ones suggested in the "normal way". The players are successful and the following season they commit to employing players using a stat based system as opposed to recommendations from coaches or scouts. It has been employed by football, most famously by Brentford.
Totally agree. Also the same plot as the equally true storyline of 'The Damned United'.

And you've been playing so nicely since your most recent boil-over.

Yes obviously agents are there to represent players in and out of contract and obviously some are crooks, some clubs are out to shaft some players and some players aren't as smart as others. But while a club can dictate that they'll only sell player A to club B if player C goes too, the idea that any agent can dictate the same is a fantasy from the murkier back lanes of Stanworld.