Re: Exeter City keen keep hold newports Padraig Amond

I think he’d be better off the bench than our other “ strikers “. And of course the “Exeter factor” may have helped cf Robbie Willmott.
At any rate he could hardly be worse than Abraham and probably Fisher and if he were to be given a decent service then we know what he’s made of.
It’s whether he wants to return and whether Rowberry wants him as it seems Padraig seems to have future plans.

lowandhard wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:57 pm I think he’d be better off the bench than our other “ strikers “. And of course the “Exeter factor” may have helped cf Robbie Willmott.
At any rate he could hardly be worse than Abraham and probably Fisher and if he were to be given a decent service then we know what he’s made of.
It’s whether he wants to return and whether Rowberry wants him as it seems Padraig seems to have future plans.
I think he deserves another chance. With his experience, he would be a good partner upfront with Telford.

Re: Exeter City are keen to keep hold of Newports Padraig Amond

I think the main issue with him leaving, was budget related, and I feel that, that again will be one of the main reasons behind whether he comes back or not (in addition to whether he actually wants to). I think he fits our style of play more now than ever before. Can’t remember where I saw where someone posted our wages for this season (not sure I believe these infos anyway), but if it it’s true Cain is one of top earners, for what we are getting out of him, him returning to his parent club, could free up a bit of Jan movement.

Also dont think Amond has been used in their FACup schedule as yet, so club could be plotting a call back ?? All guesswork I suppose.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: December 1st, 2021, 8:59 am I think the main issue with him leaving, was budget related, and I feel that, that again will be one of the main reasons behind whether he comes back or not (in addition to whether he actually wants to). I think he fits our style of play more now than ever before. Can’t remember where I saw where someone posted our wages for this season (not sure I believe these infos anyway), but if it it’s true Cain is one of top earners, for what we are getting out of him, him returning to his parent club, could free up a bit of Jan movement.

Also dont think Amond has been used in their FACup schedule as yet, so club could be plotting a call back ?? All guesswork I suppose.
Don’t know about Cain’s earning but he was a squad player at Liverpool so I suspect the money will be significant. He had a lot of promise when he came here. We haven’t seen as much of him as I would have liked although when he did play recently he did well from what I heard. Hopefully he will get some more chances this month before the Jan movement in/out happens.

Amond could not play in the FA Cup because of being cup tied. I thought he would have been available for their replay(s) as we were, by then, out of the competition but apparently you can't play someone in a replay if he wasn't available for the original tie. As for Cain, it's consistency that seems to be the problem.he doesn't fit the bill of being an effective substitute as in the few twenty minute appearances I've seen, he has been rather anonymous. He has played a couple of excellent starting games but that's not his place in the pecking order.

The trouble with wages unless they are published it is all hearsay.
Does anyone know if we are paying Cain's or any other loan player's full salary, making a contribution, or even having them for free (parent club playing their wages) or just paying their expenses?

It could be the possibility that a top premiership club can afford to send players out on loan an continue to pay them, which is small change in their financial world. Whereas having a player in on loan from a lower division that parent would want our club to contribute to their salary.

excessbee wrote: December 1st, 2021, 9:25 am Amond could not play in the FA Cup because of being cup tied. I thought he would have been available for their replay(s) as we were, by then, out of the competition but apparently you can't play someone in a replay if he wasn't available for the original tie. As for Cain, it's consistency that seems to be the problem.he doesn't fit the bill of being an effective substitute as in the few twenty minute appearances I've seen, he has been rather anonymous. He has played a couple of excellent starting games but that's not his place in the pecking order.
I’d we had no intention of calling him back couldn’t we have given permission for him to play in the cup ?

lowandhard wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:57 pm I think he’d be better off the bench than our other “ strikers “. And of course the “Exeter factor” may have helped cf Robbie Willmott.
It looks like a couple of clubs are sniffing around Matt Jay so they could be looking for a back up striker to Sam Nombe

Good point GSB, although I personally think that Podge will be looking for a dual player/coach role in his next contract.

He has done tremendously well for County and several other clubs, is a good bloke and very respectful (I know this having refereed an academy team he was coach for).

Longer term maybe he’d like to return to Ireland and manage over there but he clearly still has a lot to offer in terms of passing on his experience to younger players and as an impact player who can find the net quite often.

Top bloke.