Re: 20-0

Top level Ladies football in England is now professional and is one of the best leagues in the world. Latvia are amateurs and had a number of their "better" players missing. The gulp between these teams is only going to get greater unless their FAs throw money at it which they probably won't. Belgium (According to TalkSport pundit aren't a great team) won 19 nil vs Armenia.

excessbee wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 6:25 pm It'll never happen, but it would be fascinating to match England women against a decent level under 16 team.

The USA womens team lost 5-2 to Dallas FC under 15’s back in 2017 and The Welsh women’s team lost something like 13-0 to Merthyr Town under 19’s a couple of years ago.

Exile 1976 wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 6:57 pm
excessbee wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 6:25 pm It'll never happen, but it would be fascinating to match England women against a decent level under 16 team.

The USA womens team lost 5-2 to Dallas FC under 15’s back in 2017 and The Welsh women’s team lost something like 13-0 to Merthyr Town under 19’s a couple of years ago.
Didn't realise there had been such matches. I understand why under 19 opposition would be an unfair contest, and I'm urprised that insurance considerations would have allowed it to happen. I don't suppose there would be any chance that the current, successful, England women's team would play an under 16 male team. The result might force the media to reassess their level of excitement at recent results. I watched their match against Latvia. Lining up for the national anthems, the Latvian team looked absolutely petrified.

County-at-the-races wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 7:28 pm Games should be stopped if it gets to 10.
It serves no purpose to totally embarrass another team, and I really can't see what England women learnt from that either.
Agree but what can you do? I once reffed a game that ended 17-0 in a local mens league. At the final whistle both captains approached me, the losers claimed it was 0-16 and the winners 18-0. I just laughed and showed them my notebook and the numbers and times of the scorers - perhaps for one or both there was a relegation/promotion issue. For me it was merely a boring farce. While such a result may have some significance in a league, a friendly though…

lowandhard wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 8:34 pm
County-at-the-races wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 7:28 pm Games should be stopped if it gets to 10.
It serves no purpose to totally embarrass another team, and I really can't see what England women learnt from that either.
Agree but what can you do? I once reffed a game that ended 17-0 in a local mens league. At the final whistle both captains approached me, the losers claimed it was 0-16 and the winners 18-0. I just laughed and showed them my notebook and the numbers and times of the scorers - perhaps for one or both there was a relegation/promotion issue. For me it was merely a boring farce. While such a result may have some significance in a league, a friendly though…
Even in the men's game when it comes to Euros or World Cup, the organisers put the Gibraltars and San Marinos etc in for no other purpose than to see how many the others can score against them. That's not a competition it's shooting fish in a bucket

County-at-the-races wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:42 am
Even in the men's game when it comes to Euros or World Cup, the organisers put the Gibraltars and San Marinos etc in for no other purpose than to see how many the others can score against them. That's not a competition it's shooting fish in a bucket
Disagree I can remember Iceland being whipping boys of European football they've come on you have to give smaller nation's the chance to play

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:52 am
Disagree I can remember Iceland being whipping boys of European football they've come on you have to give smaller nation's the chance to play
Latvia has only been an independent nation for 30 years.

About 20 years ago, on a group walk in Surrey, I found myself talking with a young woman who turned out to be the daughter of the President of Latvia!
She was working on secondment in the Foreign Office. This, as we discussed, was part of "capacity building". The same applies to football I suppose, and womens football would be pretty far down the priority list. I guess visibility would be seen as important in the first instance, but the pressure must be very hard for young women with such a small sporting infrastructure..

Mind you, I doubt that the UK would be regarded as much of a constitutional role model for other countries anymore. Wales, perhaps?

You can't blame the English Women, they can only beat what is in front of them.
The world of sport is littered with disparencies in quality.
Take New Zealand over putting 100 points against USA in rugby a couple of weeks ago.
Cricket is only played to a quality level by a few nations.
I would suggest that for these sports that have a gulf of class between nations is to have some sort of pyramid seeding leagues system (similar to the football pyramid) where teams can play meaningful sport against sides of similar status and then progress up and down the leagues.
This would save those poor Lativian ladies the embarrassment of suffering heavy losses.

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 8:52 am
And France in rugby union.