Microsoft word

Good Morning

I really don’t think I belong in the technological world!

We recently bought a new laptop to replace our older one. The old one had Microsoft word on and we could create our own things to print out. The new one doesn’t have it and instead keeps asking us to subscribe or something.

My question is this, what is the best way to get a basic word programme. What are the costs, if any?

Any advice or information appreciated!

Phil in Northampton

Re: Microsoft word

Morning Phil!

The joys of buying PCs eh? Most computers don’t have MS Office installed as standard these days, in an attempt to get you to pay for a package. If that happened to me I’d be asking the local IT/phone repair shop or a mate ‘in the know’ to help install a bootleg version, or perhaps have a look on the internet to see if you can buy a security package (which protects against hacking etc) as some of those will offer free MS Office* when you sign up.

* Most people only want and use the Word, Excel and Teams parts of MS Office, I wouldn’t bother with the other bits as they’re rarely used.

Good luck.

phil_in_npton wrote: March 10th, 2022, 8:32 am Good Morning

We recently bought a new laptop to replace our older one. The old one had Microsoft word on and we could create our own things to print out. The new one doesn’t have it and instead keeps asking us to subscribe or something.

My question is this, what is the best way to get a basic word programme. What are the costs, if any?

Phil in Northampton
Libre Office is a free version of Microsoft Office, works ok and is quite similar.

Otherwise there are free trials of Microsoft Office 365 that you can download. Usually free for 12 months, after which you can buy for 'life' for about £95.

Nobody likes to pay for anything that they previously had for free. But that's life eh?

Failing that, get a teenager to download a moody version. Its very unlikely that the Microsoft police will send you to Microsoft prison........

If Word/Office was preinstalled on your old PC/laptop it was likely not free; rather, the price (whether an OEM version or retail version) was hidden in the PC purchase price.

If it was a retail version installed on the old one, then you should be able to run it on the new PC. But there are caveats: it will need to come off the old PC and you'll need the discs or whatever medium it was on to install it on the new PC (but even there there are more caveats).

However, there are at least two ways you can legally run MS Office on a PC for free:

(1) If you have a stable and reasonably fast internet connection you could sign up for MS Office Web (and you get 5GB of OneDrive space free with the account). It's not quite the desktop version but should be OK for general use, and it's basically MS's version of Google Docs and uses your web browser to access online versions.

(2) You could download and run BlueStacks (just Google it) and then download the Android MS Office app (which is free, in meaning it "is" free). How successful this might be I can't say. It might be slower than a native desktop version (or web version) as it runs in what is effectively an emulator. But people do use it to run Android games in a PC environment.

Personally, I've gone the Office365 subscription route, since I need it on 3 PCs and a laptop; but as the link indicates, there is a single person/PC version option too.

whoareya wrote: March 12th, 2022, 8:47 am
phil_in_npton wrote: March 10th, 2022, 8:32 am Good Morning

Phil in Northampton
Libre Office is a free version of Microsoft Office, works ok and is quite similar.

Otherwise there are free trials of Microsoft Office 365 that you can download. Usually free for 12 months, after which you can buy for 'life' for about £95.

Nobody likes to pay for anything that they previously had for free. But that's life eh?

Failing that, get a teenager to download a moody version. Its very unlikely that the Microsoft police will send you to Microsoft prison........

Hi Phil, I recommend Libre Office its just as good as MS Office. There are a few youtube videos on Libre Office. I see what I can find and put it on this forum for you to watch.