Re: Grandstand: Sutton United v Newport County (Away)

We were the better of two poor sides today, although for all our possession and reasonably tidy passing we created little. I thought Norman did well winning a lot of headers but no one around him to win the second ball. Azaz looked lively. Street looked way out of his depth.

I actually didn’t think the penalty was that harsh a decision against us. Yes they’re guy played for it but I’m not sure anyone would be complaining if we had a similar one given. Sutton offered nothing else all game though and should get blown away in the play offs, if they make it.

I would say our season is done and dusted barring a miracle.

UPTHEPORT wrote: April 18th, 2022, 6:40 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: April 18th, 2022, 6:32 pm
flat4 wrote: April 18th, 2022, 4:58 pm Looking like we may well be welcoming Wkrexham to Rodney Parade next season, now there`s a thought.!!

They’ll spend big in the summer, can see them getting promoted next season too.
I'd pi$$ myself if they missed out in po again 🤣
Time you grew out of this silly obsession with Wrexham, UTP.

Fu Ming wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:03 pm If Wrexham make to league 2 next season then they will bring a fair number of supporters down, which would help to make up for the potential short fall from Exeter and or Bristol Rovers away fans (should they get promoted).
Also Stockport get a good crowd.
So not all gloom and doom on potential large away crowds.
Compared to the famously small followings of L1 clubs such as Portsmouth, Bolton, Ipswich and Charlton.
And that's just the teams who definitely won't go up. Sunderland, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth Argyle are also in L1. Derby were relegated to L1 today. Promotion would almost certainly see bigger crowds all around.
The problem is getting our fans in. If you can't win when good crowds turn up, you will not get good crowds. Wrexham got 10,000 today - what's our strategy to attempt to close the gap to those sorts of attendances?

KingOfGwent wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:11 pm
Fu Ming wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:03 pm If Wrexham make to league 2 next season then they will bring a fair number of supporters down, which would help to make up for the potential short fall from Exeter and or Bristol Rovers away fans (should they get promoted).
Compared to the famously small followings of L1 clubs such as Portsmouth, Bolton, Ipswich and Charlton.
And that's just the teams who definitely won't go up. Sunderland, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth Argyle are also in L1. Derby were relegated to L1 today. Promotion would almost certainly see bigger crowds all around.
The problem is getting our fans in. If you can't win when good crowds turn up, you will not get good crowds. Wrexham got 10,000 today - what's our strategy to attempt to close the gap to those sorts of attendances?
Blame someone

mad norm wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:30 pm
Blame someone
Blaming is easy. What is difficult is having the courage to ask difficult questions. If towns far smaller than Newport can attract five figure crowds, then we need to accept that we can and should be able to do the same.

So that we are not doing so is because we are failing to do something which other clubs are not. I don't know what the solution is but I do know finding excuses is not the solution. In no particular order.

The people of Newport are more interested in booze and bingo.

We lost a whole generation by being non league for 25 years.

We have to compete with the rugby.

Newport is not a football town.

Newport is poor.

Newport don't have a sugar daddy.

I could go on.

mad norm wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:30 pm
Blame someone
I know I'm the last person you want to hear from, but the club has had plenty of opportunities. Now is the right time for the directors to disclose everything. Since they have taken over running the club, the mistakes they have made. I know there are a few positives.

Let us have a proper rundown on all the directors.

It amazes me that no credit is ever given to opposing teams when we don’t win. Does everyone think we should roll over every team we play and that other teams don’t plan to frustrate our game plan A game plan B etc.
Played well today against a good side - league places this time of year do not lie - we are also a good side. We maybe just lack a bit of pace / accuracy on the final ball. It was a penalty but the last man tackle on CBR should have been a red would have last few minutes interesting.
Last six games have been disappointing people say and yes probably blown play offs but but three good away performances a decent home performance against a very good Exeter side and two poor games so let’s have some perspective.
We are not in the top four L2 teams but hey the best we’re turned over 4-0 last time out but we are in the next group of six, likely to miss out this year but we are a decent team. Playing against good teams will mean we cannot control every game every week and go the season unbeaten - credit to other teams but be grateful we are not that bad.
Core of a good team a few new faces with a bit more pace in defence / wing back and loan players of this years standard will see us go again in contention next season.

I only watched on iFollow but frankly we were awful and if you picked the best 11 on the pitch they would nearly all be Sutton players - if you look at how effectively they did what they were there to do. Two good saves by Bouzanis early on but after that did he even have to make a save? From about 25 yards out they had us in their pockets. Without major surgery next season could be a struggle.

[Edit: Second half stoppage time was ridiculously short at 4 minutes.]

George Street-Bridge wrote: April 19th, 2022, 6:18 am I only watched on iFollow but frankly we were awful and if you picked the best 11 on the pitch they would nearly all be Sutton players - if you look at how effectively they did what they were there to do. Two good saves by Bouzanis early on but after that did he even have to make a save? From about 25 yards out they had us in their pockets. Without major surgery next season could be a struggle.

[Edit: Second half stoppage time was ridiculously short at 4 minutes.]

Sorry but it sounds like you were watching a different game. Although not great, we were by far the better side.
With the exception of the penalty, how many saves did Day have to make? Zero.
Not one shot on target in 90 mins from the home side.

We were the better side but lacked any threat in the final third of the pitch. Sutton had one ploy which was to play a long diagonal ball to the winger and they were terrible in executing that. Really hope they don't get promoted by scraping through the playoffs. The ground is very non league. I thought a safety certificate would insist upon an audible PA system in all parts of the ground. There was some garbled announcement of the pre-match minute's applause which to some it may have seemed the Newport supporters were deliberately ignoring. That wasn't the case. Even when it went quiet, we couldn't hear what was announced.