We don't panic and 'go again' #2

If we were on the outside looking in on a team we had a 'soft spot' for and they were in our position i.e., a mathematical and likely a 50/50 chance of things going our way we'd think 'hope they do it'.

I was deflated after Friday but hopeful for Monday but felt very down on Monday evening - pathetic perhaps but that's what football means (I didn’t go to Sutton and haven’t seen any of that game) and now of course thigs are well out of our hands and we MUST win all our games and one of those by a big score to up that goal difference – of course its improbable but not impossible but stranger things have happened in sport (as we should know!).

Whatever happens we are guaranteed another season in the football league and have had an interesting season with drama potentially yet to come which for a club like ours with all the battering we have taken off the field over the past 25 years, ground changes, small budget, apathetic local population leading to small crowds (another debate), etc. and we can be thankful we are not fans of [say] Barry Town or Derby County, etc. both relegated this weekend or indeed Arbroath whose fairy tale promotion as champions to the Scottish Premiership may be snatched away by big bad Kilmarnock (they still have the play off’s of course).

Will still hurt at the final whistle of the next game we lose (which could of course be out first in league 1 v Sunderland at home?!).

Re: We don't panic and 'go again' #2

Agree with this.

I went yesterday still up in London having a break.

Make no mistake we were by far the better side yesterday which gives me confidence going into the last 3 games which we need to win.

If we win Friday we put pressure back on sides and have the advantage of going to Port Vale knowing exactly what we need to do, win there and its going to the last game of the season.

Big ask yes but we've defied the odds before.

UPTHEPORT wrote: April 19th, 2022, 12:33 pm Still got faith we can do this
You have my admiration mate. I lost mine a while ago and our recent attacking efforts have made me lose not only my faith in getting to the playoffs but also all hope of doing so! I tend to believe the evidence before my eyes and a goal glut looks a decidedly unlikely scenario in my opinion. I suppose we could hope for a sort of collective madness where defenders like the Sutton defender yesterday start lashing efforts at their own goalkeeper, I’m not holding my breath however.

I haven't had any faith in getting into playoffs ever since Rowberry took over. Whilst excepting there has been some great entertainment, football that has been pleasing on the eye, and many high quality goals at times throughout his tenure, our defense has too often been found wanting and we have recently been physically 2nd best in midfield too frequently.
I do think that some , probably only a minority, have been overly-dazzled by some of our attractive play and goals and convinced themselves that we are promotion quality.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:13 pm I haven't had any faith in getting into playoffs ever since Rowberry took over. Whilst excepting there has been some great entertainment, football that has been pleasing on the eye, and many high quality goals at times throughout his tenure, our defense has too often been found wanting and we have recently been physically 2nd best in midfield too frequently.
I do think that some , probably only a minority, have been overly-dazzled by some of our attractive play and goals and convinced themselves that we are promotion quality.
I don't think its Rowberry I feel its a core of young players who have masses of talent but heads drop when we concede a goal(s) - if anything we have too much quality and too little fight but one consolation at lest we aren't where we are playing bad football

CathedralCounty wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:22 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:13 pm I haven't had any faith in getting into playoffs ever since Rowberry took over. Whilst excepting there has been some great entertainment, football that has been pleasing on the eye, and many high quality goals at times throughout his tenure, our defense has too often been found wanting and we have recently been physically 2nd best in midfield too frequently.
I don't think its Rowberry I feel its a core of young players who have masses of talent but heads drop when we concede a goal(s) - if anything we have too much quality and too little fight but one consolation at lest we aren't where we are playing bad football
Could have worded my post better. I'm not blaming Rowberry in any way. It's only my theory, but believe Flynn didn't have any faith in this particular squad gaining promotion either. Absolutely agree that we are where we are by playing for the most part playing entertaining football. As I've said in other posts I've been entertained more this season, than those seasons where we have made the playoffs, which is why I'm not too downhearted at our current position.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 19th, 2022, 4:27 pm
Could have worded my post better. I'm not blaming Rowberry in any way. It's only my theory, but believe Flynn didn't have any faith in this particular squad gaining promotion either. Absolutely agree that we are where we are by playing for the most part playing entertaining football. As I've said in other posts I've been entertained more this season, than those seasons where we have made the playoffs, which is why I'm not too downhearted at our current position.
Don’t get me wrong I'm no disciple of Rowberry but we need to give him and his methods another season at least - we may all be singing his praises in a few weeks’ time at Wembley after all! even if we are not we are pretty much guaranteed an upper mid table finish and a good season - we'd feel FAR worse if we were big old Swindon fans (a 'bigger' club than us) who look set to trickle out of the play offs with a whimper

CathedralCounty wrote: April 20th, 2022, 9:22 am
Don’t get me wrong I'm no disciple of Rowberry but we need to give him and his methods another season at least - we may all be singing his praises in a few weeks’ time at Wembley after all! even if we are not we are pretty much guaranteed an upper mid table finish and a good season - we'd feel FAR worse if we were big old Swindon fans (a 'bigger' club than us) who look set to trickle out of the play offs with a whimper

Yes. Agree with that.
I know I'm somewhat going off on a tangent here, but still have a nagging doubt if we were to gain promotion, increase our playing budget yet have a poor season and come straight back down it would have a negative affect on our current financial stability. That's not to suggest for a moment we shouldn't strive for promotion.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 20th, 2022, 12:22 pm

Yes. Agree with that.
I know I'm somewhat going off on a tangent here, but still have a nagging doubt if we were to gain promotion, increase our playing budget yet have a poor season and come straight back down it would have a negative affect on our current financial stability. That's not to suggest for a moment we shouldn't strive for promotion.
Get what you mean and rapid promotions and relegations have damaged Yeovil, D&R, killed off Rushden mark I, etc so see the argument but promotion would guarantee at least 2 seasons more in the football league for us/ANother league 2 club

CathedralCounty wrote: April 20th, 2022, 1:44 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 20th, 2022, 12:22 pm

Yes. Agree with that.
Get what you mean and rapid promotions and relegations have damaged Yeovil, D&R, killed off Rushden mark I, etc so see the argument but promotion would guarantee at least 2 seasons more in the football league for us/ANother league 2 club
Of course. Didn't look at it that way, but I'm confident ad I can be that the current board would prudent enough to avoid such damage.