Re: Next 10 years

lowandhard wrote: April 21st, 2022, 11:37 pm I will just say this, I doubt we would have achieved our ambition of regaining our league status without the move to RP. Subsequently our relationship with our landlords has apparently become mutually advantageous and the relationship is good. Given that building a stadium is currently beyond our means and I’m informed that to service and maintain a stadium of our standard involves crippling costs, so what next? Now of course a pitch on the Glebelands is admittedly a possible home but from where the development money comes I know not and neither do I know whether that’s what most of us would want anyway. It’s why I do the lottery with Jim in the unlikely possibility that one day that we can give RP an offer attractive enough to at least obtain a shared ownership of what has now become our home. In the meantime the pitch and stadium has improved markedly since we arrived and I know it’s not «  ours « but neither was Somerton Park in the end sadly. Unless a minor miracle happens or Elon Musk gets an affinity for black and amber I can’t see the football club or its supporters affording a new home in the foreseeable future. Given the continued presence of the athletics track at Spytty for at least the next 70 years, I think we can rule that possibility out as well, don’t you?
I agree with much that you say, however your Son does seem more positive and determined in trying to acquire RP, so why can’t we be part of a joint approach?
Listening to PMQ’s this week a question was asked by Wrexham’s MP about Government funding for their stadium. The answer provided was that Wales had already been given £100m to support sport in the Principality, has any worthy cause in the Newport area benefitted, if not could that be a potential source of funding to be tapped into? I bet that Wrexham will now be wasting no time in making an approach.

As long as we continue to beholden to the WRU then uncertainty of tenure will continue to exist, working positively alongside the Dragons could radically help to change that, and also cement a great future for both codes.

I agree with Highandwide that we would not have become a League club had we not moved to Rodney Parade. I say this not to spare his feelings but because it is true that I don't doubt the sincerity of Highandwide's son. But that is not the point. The point is that our destiny is in the hands of the WRU.

So that poses two questions. Do we believe that the WRU will always be benign landlord's who will ensure that County have a secure home at a reasonable rent for ever?
If anyone thinks the answer to that is yes, then please explain why. I would love the answer to be yes but that is a bridge too far for me.
The question then becomes what are we going to do if and when Rodney Parade does become either untenable or unavailable. Again if someone has a viable alternative let me know.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 11:53 am I agree with Highandwide that we would not have become a League club had we not moved to Rodney Parade. I say this not to spare his feelings but because it is true that I don't doubt the sincerity of Highandwide's son. But that is not the point. The point is that our destiny is in the hands of the WRU.

So that poses two questions. Do we believe that the WRU will always be benign landlord's who will ensure that County have a secure home at a reasonable rent for ever?
If anyone thinks the answer to that is yes, then please explain why. I would love the answer to be yes but that is a bridge too far for me.
The question then becomes what are we going to do if and when Rodney Parade does become either untenable or unavailable. Again if someone has a viable alternative let me know.
Don’t get me wrong I’d be delighted if by any device the club somehow achieved a level of interest in the stadium by receiving adequate funding from whatever source, that’s why I’m contributing to Jim’s lottery. It’s just that the sort of money we’d need to achieve the goal is unlikely to be realised by fans contributions unless we attract our own pair of profligate Hollywood heroes. That’s just my view, I’m sure others are available.