Re: Livermore

DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 2:13 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 24th, 2022, 1:28 pm
DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 1:09 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:36 pm
DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:25 pm There's nobody that we've 'lost' to higher clubs that have gone on to be a success in the EFL - any that have, we've made good money from them. Livermore looked good during his cameos, but it's one thing doing it for 20 minutes or so, but doing it week in, week out in senior football is completely different. If he's as good as some of the posters on here suggest he is, we'd have lost him ages ago to a club higher up in the leagues.

The likeliest story is that he rejected an offer from us, so we've told him he can sort his future out.
I can't comment on the abilities of Livermore.

You are correct, the likeliest story is that he rejected an offer from us. The reason being that he believes he will get a better offer elsewhere.

With respect to your assertion that no Newport County player has gone on to be succesful elsewhere in the EFL I'm afraid any number have ended their contracts and gone on elsewhere, Dan Butler, Jamille Matt spring to mind. I do agree that we did pick up a few decent paydays from transfers, Poole, Washington, Evans. Although sadly not recently.
None of those came through our academy.
Again I agree. The academy has not produced in the way we hoped it would. My view, or rather my fear, is that the academy has not been used as it should have been. It seems to me that it has never been seen as a system for developing the most promising youngsters. And you can underdtand why. Let us assume that Livermore is the outstanding talent some believe. First chance he's off.

Together with the loan system it is crippling clubs like Newport. Big clubs hoover up and loan out the potential talent. The good get taken back after the Newport's of this world develop them. And if the odd good player does occasionally slip through the bigger clubs can just nick them.
It hasn't because it can't be. Until we have an actual physical training base to call our own, we will have to rely on getting lucky with players that Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol City have missed. I wouldn't stand in the way of any of our young players moving to a club further up the pyramid and, if we had their best interests at heart, would actually encourage them to do so.

Rowberry's a very good coach, particularly when it comes to youth development. The number of kids coming through at Cardiff recently can't be a coincidence. My biggest hope with him being appointed is that we that side of the club taken more seriously.
All I can say in response to your post is again I don't take issue with any of it. I believe that in the getting on for 55 years I have followed County we have never put infrastructure at the top of our agenda. Which for me is the real reason why we underachieve. A city the size of Newport and a county the size of Gwent should be capable of doing so much more.