Re: Livermore

So what is the full storey before having a pop at the club - two parties involved plus possibly an agent. Talk of attitude and drink issues elsewhere.
The talk of giving youngsters a chance is of course mad unless they are good enough - question has anybody released by County from the academy made it as a professional first team player?
Could be worse could be Cardiff or Bristol releasing Poole, Evans and Collins to give us substantial fees a few months /years after - so I don’t think our academy has done badly nor missed out on anyone yet.

George Street-Bridge wrote: April 24th, 2022, 6:50 am We never know what goes on in situations like this but I'll repeat the two old chestnuts I always trot out. We can't contract any player who doesn't want to sign for us and if any player we'd like to sign or extend would rather play for another club, I'd prefer he did too.
I agree entirely with the first limb of your post.

Being a romantic I would like to agree with the second limb. Unfortunately the days when player wanted to play for a particular club are long gone, if they ever existed. Footballers have no preference of who they're going to play for. They will sign for the club who offers them the best deal.

County ranger wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 5:27 pm So what is the full storey before having a pop at the club - two parties involved plus possibly an agent. Talk of attitude and drink issues elsewhere.
The talk of giving youngsters a chance is of course mad unless they are good enough - question has anybody released by County from the academy made it as a professional first team player?
Could be worse could be Cardiff or Bristol releasing Poole, Evans and Collins to give us substantial fees a few months /years after - so I don’t think our academy has done badly nor missed out on anyone yet.
We win some we lose some, no club is exempt from it including PL or CS sides.
And FWIW I wish people would stop idolising players who 'kiss the badge' but are gone as soon as another club offers a bit more on the wage packet.

George Street-Bridge wrote: April 24th, 2022, 8:17 am Who said anything about particular clubs? Someone who turns us down and wants to keep playing will by definition prefer to play for some other club. There's no contradiction.
I didn't say there was any contradiction in what you said. I merely said I disagree with you.

Your view is that if a player would rather play for another club you would not want him. My view is that players are doing a job and will like the rest of us will take the best offer.

I regret when County are unable to keep good players, when other clubs are in a position to offer a better deal. You don't. There is no contradiction in your view. In my opinion your view is demonstrably wrong but not self contradictory.

County-at-the-races wrote: April 24th, 2022, 8:53 am
County ranger wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 5:27 pm So what is the full storey before having a pop at the club - two parties involved plus possibly an agent. Talk of attitude and drink issues elsewhere.
We win some we lose some, no club is exempt from it including PL or CS sides.
And FWIW I wish people would stop idolising players who 'kiss the badge' but are gone as soon as another club offers a bit more on the wage packet.
I agree.

But let's not blame the players. I follow the shirt. All i ask of any County player is that he gives of his best when playing for County. When a player moves on, good luck to him but I cease to care what he goes on to do.

There's nobody that we've 'lost' to higher clubs that have gone on to be a success in the EFL - any that have, we've made good money from them. Livermore looked good during his cameos, but it's one thing doing it for 20 minutes or so, but doing it week in, week out in senior football is completely different. If he's as good as some of the posters on here suggest he is, we'd have lost him ages ago to a club higher up in the leagues.

The likeliest story is that he rejected an offer from us, so we've told him he can sort his future out.

DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:25 pm There's nobody that we've 'lost' to higher clubs that have gone on to be a success in the EFL - any that have, we've made good money from them. Livermore looked good during his cameos, but it's one thing doing it for 20 minutes or so, but doing it week in, week out in senior football is completely different. If he's as good as some of the posters on here suggest he is, we'd have lost him ages ago to a club higher up in the leagues.

The likeliest story is that he rejected an offer from us, so we've told him he can sort his future out.
I can't comment on the abilities of Livermore.

You are correct, the likeliest story is that he rejected an offer from us. The reason being that he believes he will get a better offer elsewhere.

With respect to your assertion that no Newport County player has gone on to be succesful elsewhere in the EFL I'm afraid any number have ended their contracts and gone on elsewhere, Dan Butler, Jamille Matt spring to mind. I do agree that we did pick up a few decent paydays from transfers, Poole, Washington, Evans. Although sadly not recently.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:36 pm
DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 12:25 pm There's nobody that we've 'lost' to higher clubs that have gone on to be a success in the EFL - any that have, we've made good money from them. Livermore looked good during his cameos, but it's one thing doing it for 20 minutes or so, but doing it week in, week out in senior football is completely different. If he's as good as some of the posters on here suggest he is, we'd have lost him ages ago to a club higher up in the leagues.

You are correct, the likeliest story is that he rejected an offer from us. The reason being that he believes he will get a better offer elsewhere.

With respect to your assertion that no Newport County player has gone on to be succesful elsewhere in the EFL I'm afraid any number have ended their contracts and gone on elsewhere, Dan Butler, Jamille Matt spring to mind. I do agree that we did pick up a few decent paydays from transfers, Poole, Washington, Evans. Although sadly not recently.
None of those came through our academy.

DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 1:09 pm

Again I agree. The academy has not produced in the way we hoped it would. My view, or rather my fear, is that the academy has not been used as it should have been. It seems to me that it has never been seen as a system for developing the most promising youngsters. And you can underdtand why. Let us assume that Livermore is the outstanding talent some believe. First chance he's off.

Together with the loan system it is crippling clubs like Newport. Big clubs hoover up and loan out the potential talent. The good get taken back after the Newport's of this world develop them. And if the odd good player does occasionally slip through the bigger clubs can just nick them.

So there is a rumour that Ny may not have worked hard enough in training,I am more interested about what happens on the pitch match day.Whenever I saw him,be it first team or academy,there was nothing wrong with his attitude,in fact,he looked above many of his peers.This culture of being a training ground international is nonsense,so is this idea of players wearing a woman’s crop top under their shirts to measure how much running they do.Ny would let the ball do the work with lovely diagonal long passes and simple short balls as well as putting in the yards in.It seems managers prefer yesmen who will run around like headless chickens so as their crop top has the desired mileage on it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 24th, 2022, 1:28 pm
DT1892 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 1:09 pm

Again I agree. The academy has not produced in the way we hoped it would. My view, or rather my fear, is that the academy has not been used as it should have been. It seems to me that it has never been seen as a system for developing the most promising youngsters. And you can underdtand why. Let us assume that Livermore is the outstanding talent some believe. First chance he's off.

Together with the loan system it is crippling clubs like Newport. Big clubs hoover up and loan out the potential talent. The good get taken back after the Newport's of this world develop them. And if the odd good player does occasionally slip through the bigger clubs can just nick them.
It hasn't because it can't be. Until we have an actual physical training base to call our own, we will have to rely on getting lucky with players that Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol City have missed. I wouldn't stand in the way of any of our young players moving to a club further up the pyramid and, if we had their best interests at heart, would actually encourage them to do so.

Rowberry's a very good coach, particularly when it comes to youth development. The number of kids coming through at Cardiff recently can't be a coincidence. My biggest hope with him being appointed is that we that side of the club taken more seriously.