Re: Players contracted for 2022/23 season

Percy plunkett wrote: April 25th, 2022, 4:17 pm The loan system is a benefit to us when the right players are brought in.Azaz and Cooper have been a reason why we have been up there.
Percy,

The point you don't seem to understand is that every other club in League 2 uses the loan system. You say that we have been up there because of Azaz and Cooper. Have you considered that the reason we have faded is because other League 2 clubs made better loan signings?

It is a nuanced point. Whether we make good signings or not is irrelevant. It is the system which is rotten. It works against the interest of clubs at our level.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: April 25th, 2022, 10:13 pm According to this website, we’ve got 16 players out of contract or due to return to their parent clubs this summer, oddly it doesn’t include Podge.

That’s quite a big squad overhaul.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newport ... on_id/2021

Mind you, the same website suggests Swindon only have one player on the books next season so maybe our situation isn’t so bad!
Robbie has signed a new deal,Norman was definitely two years.

I think we'd struggle next season if we started with that eleven! OK, both the keepers can't play, but I'd want to see only one of Norman/Lewis and Bennett/Dolan and I don't see Collins being anywhere other than another club, on loan. Three new signings and three loanees are needed to build a fresh team. Probably five of each will make up the squad.

excessbee wrote: April 26th, 2022, 9:15 am I think we'd struggle next season if we started with that eleven! OK, both the keepers can't play, but I'd want to see only one of Norman/Lewis and Bennett/Dolan and I don't see Collins being anywhere other than another club, on loan. Three new signings and three loanees are needed to build a fresh team. Probably five of each will make up the squad.
It’s a shame that Collins hasn’t kicked on after having such an important impact at the end of last season. I personally hope he stays and gets a regular place in the starting XI, but if things aren’t working out then maybe a loan to a NL side will help him and us.

Stan is right of course but it’d be mad to be the only team not taking a few good loans. Sadly we have largely failed in using our own youngsters and in the past year have lost no fewer than two really promising midfielders in Jeffries and Livermore, I expect others could mention others we’ve neglected. A club like ours should be seeking to develop players to sell on as well as taking other bigger clubs players who are not quite ready for league football. As said above those clubs at no risk to themselves get their players developed for free. Use just a couple no more. Imho Street and quite a few others we’ve had over the years are no better than our own, the Ben White types are not that common sadly and of course if one looks good early like Twine, they’re taken back at Xmas and disrupt the season.