Re: Regional Rugby in Wales - Cutting Four Teams to Three

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 6th, 2022, 7:08 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:04 am Access isn't a problem for anyone not just football fans. As for parking I never had a problem and if the Rodney Parade site were to be developed for another purpose the developers would doubtless develop transport infrastructure.

Let's analyse this. This news story may or may not have legs. If it does the problem I have been going on about for years is about to rear up and bite us in the arse.

If however this time it is a false alarm, what about next time? Or the time after that?

So should our response be live in denial, like George Street Bridge? Should our response be simply to imply that nothing can be done, like Colin?

Or should our response be to accept we have a problem? Admit that we at present don't have the answers? And work together as a fans owned club to find those answers?

This is a potentially crucial moment in our history. And it is possible that we face an insurmountable difficulty. But I think that unlikely. What I do think is that times of crisis can be times of opportunity. If we face up to the problem, if we work together, if we refuse to listen to those content with mediocrity then perhaps we can start being in control of our own destiny.
More grandiose word soup. Far from being in denial, I think potentially this is a thumping great opportunity to cement our position as the city's leading sports team.
Leaving aside your usual petulance and uncalled for unpleasant insult I am,as always, interested in your view.

Tell me, how do you suggest we cement our position as the city's leading sports team when we are reliant on the city's secondry sports team to have a stadium to play in?

Unfortunately I do not have an answer for all the mess that Welsh rugby is in.
This has come home to roost this year with poor results from the national side.
What I will say is that Gwent and Welsh rugby has been in a slow decline over the past decade or so.
Regional rugby is of a poor standard, and as for the teams below that it is even worse, teams like Pontypool and Newport used to field 2 sides, so did many of the district sides like Croesyceliog, Cwmbran etc. Newport High School Old Boys used to field 5 sides at one time.
How is it that Dean Ryan the director of rugby at The Dragons is on a salary of over £250K?
So far this season Dragons have won one game drawn one game and lost the rest.
If he was in charge of a soccer club he would of be sacked a long time ago.
There are too many in the regional squads of 45 plus players all earning inflated wages, a 4th string Scarlets 2nd row earns £60k a year for doing nothing.
Not to mention the cost of flying to South Africa to play a couple of games.
The attendance at Dragons is woefully poor, just look at the crowd density compared to when The County play.
The salaries for the regional players are supplemented by the WRU charging high prices for the international matches.
As for Gwent rugby the WRU could not give a toss, Wales to them exists passed Cardiff to the west.

What I fear is that WRU will let it run for a while and we will see the gradual demise of Gwent rugby, what the WRU will do with RP is anyone's guess.

If you read the first post of Stow Hill Sid and his link to the Times article then whatever the outcome it is clear that the Welsh Rugby Football Union are at the very least considering shafting one of the four regional teams in Wales. It won't be Cardiff. Swansea and Llanelli merging? Possible but unlikely. If one of the four regions go the likelihood is that it will be Dragons. My view is that all four regions will survive. But I'm not sure.

George Guest has in my view summed it up really well. The problem for us is insecurity. How can we develop when we could be made homeless at the whim of the WRU? And believe me if the WRU are considering scrapping the Dragons they won't think twice about terminating our licence to play at Rodney Parade if it suits them.

Fu Ming wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:05 am Unfortunately I do not have an answer for all the mess that Welsh rugby is in.
What I will say is that Gwent and Welsh rugby has been in a slow decline over the past decade or so.
Regional rugby is of a poor standard, and as for the teams below that it is even worse, teams like Pontypool and Newport used to field 2 sides, so did many of the district sides like Croesyceliog, Cwmbran etc. Newport High School Old Boys used to field 5 sides at one time.
How is it that Dean Ryan the director of rugby at The Dragons is on a salary of over £250K?
There are too many in the regional squads of 45 plus players all earning inflated wages, a 4th string Scarlets 2nd row earns £60k a year for doing nothing.
The attendance at Dragons is woefully poor, just look at the crowd density compared to when The County play.
The salaries for the regional players are supplemented by the WRU charging high prices for the international matches.
As for Gwent rugby the WRU could not give a toss, Wales to them exists passed Cardiff to the west.

What I fear is that WRU will let it run for a while and we will see the gradual demise of Gwent rugby, what the WRU will do with RP is anyone's guess.
I agree.

Whilst Bangitinthenet is talking utter nonsense about planning law, and is utterly clueless about why buried in his usual garbage there is one salient point, nonetheless the point exists.

Rodney Parade is only a valuable asset if it can be developed. The idea that it couldn't be used for housing or some other purpose or that transport linkd make it unfeasible for anything other than a football stadium is complete bollox.

However.

Rodney Parade is an iconic stadium. Without planning permission for development it has no great value on the open market. Now whilst Newport City Council can grant that planning permission, as I said Bangitinthenet's view that planning law prevents this is total nonsense, nonetheless Newport City Council have the power not to grant such permission to develop.

Newport County and the Dragons need to make common cause. They need to be lobbying the council. They need to be getting the people of Newport on board. Rodney Parade the stadium where New Zealand and South Africa were defeated. Is the city of Newport to lose such a huge part of our history. Why not sell of the transporter bridge for scrap metal whilst we're at it? Is Newport to be a city devoid of first class sport? Those are the arguments that should be used to ensure that the Council don't carry out another act of civic vandalism.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:15 am If you read the first post of Stow Hill Sid and his link to the Times article then whatever the outcome it is clear that the Welsh Rugby Football Union are at the very least considering shafting one of the four regional teams in Wales. It won't be Cardiff. Swansea and Llanelli merging? Possible but unlikely. If one of the four regions go the likelihood is that it will be Dragons. My view is that all four regions will survive. But I'm not sure.

George Guest has in my view summed it up really well. The problem for us is insecurity. How can we develop when we could be made homeless at the whim of the WRU? And believe me if the WRU are considering scrapping the Dragons they won't think twice about terminating our licence to play at Rodney Parade if it suits them.
We simply don't have a licence to play at Rodney Parade. The WRU were not signatories and nore were the Dragon's. What it is now, is just a framework agreement.

If we had a valid licence, it would be registered against the title by the land registry.

Of cource you stopped being a sponge for knowledge when you passed your exams, and things like placing documents at the land registry was not compulsory as part of the transaction.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:37 am
Fu Ming wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:05 am Unfortunately I do not have an answer for all the mess that Welsh rugby is in.

I agree.

Whilst Bangitinthenet is talking utter nonsense about planning law, and is utterly clueless about why buried in his usual garbage there is one salient point, nonetheless the point exists.

Rodney Parade is only a valuable asset if it can be developed. The idea that it couldn't be used for housing or some other purpose or that transport linkd make it unfeasible for anything other than a football stadium is complete bollox.

However.

Rodney Parade is an iconic stadium. Without planning permission for development it has no great value on the open market. Now whilst Newport City Council can grant that planning permission, as I said Bangitinthenet's view that planning law prevents this is total nonsense, nonetheless Newport City Council have the power not to grant such permission to develop.

Newport County and the Dragons need to make common cause. They need to be lobbying the council. They need to be getting the people of Newport on board. Rodney Parade the stadium where New Zealand and South Africa were defeated. Is the city of Newport to lose such a huge part of our history. Why not sell of the transporter bridge for scrap metal whilst we're at it? Is Newport to be a city devoid of first class sport? Those are the arguments that should be used to ensure that the Council don't carry out another act of civic vandalism.
Planning law changed significantly when the unitary authorities came in, because before there were two bodies, the local council (Newport) and the County Council (Monmouthshire) who would have competing agendas and thus planning was a mess.
Now planning has to follow a structure. It has to be demonstrated that there is a need for construction, and no local requirement for what is to be demolished. Also there has to be suitable access to the local roads, and suitable parking for residential. More than two bedrooms equals an additional car space for each further bedroom.

The Council will need to see proposals for a new stadium with better access, better parking etc before they will consider altering the current designated use for the site on the unitary development plan. Rodney Parade is designated for sports use on the plan.
All of these things put together, the plot value is not great enough to viable. As I said, that is why developers are not interested in the cabbage patch, let alone the stadium. That is the simple fact of the matter.

Regardless of the long term questions - it feels like the real problem with this headline is that our deal with RP is up next year. In an ideal world the Dragons would have been in private hands by now and we’d have been pushing for a long term joint deal. Given the risk of the Dragons folding, does any deal now end up being much shorter (1 year? 2?) and potentially more expensive? Can’t see why the WRU would offer more than that if they felt they may need to turf one or both of us out in the future.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:43 am Both the Dragon's and the County rent the city's Premier stadium, as do top Football and Rugby clubs all across the UK. Why is it uniquely a problem for us if we did cement our position?
I am sure that the Dragons and some at the WRU would disagree, but all things considered, in the current Newport sporting climate, it is pretty safe to say that we (County) are the premier sporting club in Newport.

The question is, ‘how do we cement our position as the premier sports club in Newport’, not ‘why is it uniquely a problem for us if we did cement our position’.

Surely, everyone with common sense regarding the County want us to a position whereby we don’t have to fret year on year about where we will be playing this beloved game of ours in the not too distant future. To get to that (cemented) position, whether it be by rental or ownership, (and that is a slightly different argument), takes a lot of goodwill from all agencies. Something that appears to be lacking in spades at the moment. I don’t have the answer, just opinions and ideas, nothing more, nothing less.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:27 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:37 am

I agree.

However.

Planning law changed significantly when the unitary authorities came in, because before there were two bodies, the local council (Newport) and the County Council (Monmouthshire) who would have competing agendas and thus planning was a mess.
Now planning has to follow a structure. It has to be demonstrated that there is a need for construction, and no local requirement for what is to be demolished. Also there has to be suitable access to the local roads, and suitable parking for residential. More than two bedrooms equals an additional car space for each further bedroom.

The Council will need to see proposals for a new stadium with better access, better parking etc before they will consider altering the current designated use for the site on the unitary development plan. Rodney Parade is designated for sports use on the plan.
All of these things put together, the plot value is not great enough to viable. As I said, that is why developers are not interested in the cabbage patch, let alone the stadium. That is the simple fact of the matter.
I have a duty to consider. Having considered this is what I am going to do. If you think that there wilĺ be any difficulty in a local authority deciding that more housing is needed then you are living on a planet other than earth.

You seem to be confusing planning law and planning consent. And you clearly have no idea about the rule against perpetuity.

Interesting how you are forever being critical of me for using legal argument and then write a whole load of pseudo legal gobbledygook.

pembsexile wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:54 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:43 am Both the Dragon's and the County rent the city's Premier stadium, as do top Football and Rugby clubs all across the UK. Why is it uniquely a problem for us if we did cement our position?
I am sure that the Dragons and some at the WRU would disagree, but all things considered, in the current Newport sporting climate, it is pretty safe to say that we (County) are the premier sporting club in Newport.

The question is, ‘how do we cement our position as the premier sports club in Newport’, not ‘why is it uniquely a problem for us if we did cement our position’.

Surely, everyone with common sense regarding the County want us to a position whereby we don’t have to fret year on year about where we will be playing this beloved game of ours in the not too distant future. To get to that (cemented) position, whether it be by rental or ownership, (and that is a slightly different argument), takes a lot of goodwill from all agencies. Something that appears to be lacking in spades at the moment. I don’t have the answer, just opinions and ideas, nothing more, nothing less.
Morning Mike,

I shouldn't worry about not having the answers. If there was an easy solution it wouldn't be a problem.

However if you look at this debate there are two general types of response. One view is that everything will be fine and we have nothing to worry about. As you will have seen, devoid of argument both GSB and Bangitinthenet choose to simply be abusive.

The rest of us see that there is a potential problem and that we are insecure. We don't know what the answers are. We do know that ignoring a very real issue will not make it go away. The first step in solving any problem is to acknowledge that the problem exists.

The question isn't whether a local authority needs more housing, that's just your tired shtick of presenting a simplistic response to a complex question. It's whether the authority would want housing on this site in preference to the amenity that's already there - the home for the only professional team keeping the city's name in circulation. And add to that the traffic congestion it would add to an already intermittently congested area.

What cemented our status in all this was the Dragons walking away from the name "Newport".

pembsexile wrote: May 6th, 2022, 11:54 am

Well you can either choose to worry about something or not.

David Buttress said that this sort of discussion crops up annually with the Professional rugby committee, of which he is a member along with the 3 other regional chairman, 2 WRU directors, and two Co opted members.

The WRU are simply our landlord, in the past we have had Newport Council, who decided to move the Stadium to Spytty, alongside the Cricket and Athletics, that they also relocated.

The WRU didn't express an interest in ownership of the Dragon's until exactly 1 week after planning consent had lapsed, and it was obvious that no one was interested in owning the Dragons/developing the stadium by building towers on the cabbage patch.

The WRU weren't really interested in acquiring Rodney Parade, merely in keeping the TV deal.

Since ownership they have however, invested in Rodney Parade. To me actions speak louder than words.