Re: I'm backing JR and his team

17
supporter wrote: May 8th, 2022, 11:59 am Gutted I missed yesterday due to the dreaded lurgy not covid tested negative for that.

It's the first time I've missed applauding the team off at the end of a season since we came back to the football league but had I been there I would've been on my feet because we've had a decent season disappointing end but decent all the same.

I backed MF when the usual suspects were ready to throw him under the bus at the first opportunity and I'll back JR in exactly the same way.

I think we have a historic Newport first with 2 of our own managing our club in succession and that's rare anywhere in football.

MF will always be a Newport legend let's hope JR continues the progress and reaches that status.

My wish for next season is County champions and Walsall runners, they're 2 of our own why would anyone want anything different.
As usual mate, your positivity and optimism is refreshing. I wish I could see it that way.

The realist in me says that if we don’t improve next season we may struggle. We ended in relegation form, in 11th from being second only 7 weeks earlier. It’s way too early to get on JR back and he will obviously have my support. I just hope he is a realist too and can find a way to improve.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

18
I'm backing the County as always, but I have a lot of doubts about Rowberry and Serrant. Neither has much experience playing or managing teams. You could say the same about Flynn when he was appointed County maanger. However, he had a lot of experience playing in the EFL in all 3 divisions. He was appointed County manager from within. Having being at the club as a player under Edinburgh, winning the Conf playoffs. He also had the benefit of both Wayne Hatswell (who played the game for many years and managed a non-league team to promotion) and Lennie Lawrence with him in the dugout. I believe that the rot set in not long after Hatswell went to Walsall.

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees? That's not going help development for next season. Why has Waite been left out of the team recently? He has been a breath of fresh air, and has an eye for goal, unlike Cooper and Cain. Why not bring Ellison on for the last 10 minutes when we were desperately looking for an equaliser? He has a record of scoring late goals. Why keep Street on the pitch when he was playing so badly in front of goal? Maybe Fisher should have been given a chance.

There are more questions than answers.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

19
Blackandamber wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:06 pm I'm backing the County as always, but I have a lot of doubts about Rowberry and Serrant. Neither has much experience playing or managing teams. You could say the same about Flynn when he was appointed County maanger. However, he had a lot of experience playing in the EFL in all 3 divisions. He was appointed County manager from within. Having being at the club as a player under Edinburgh, winning the Conf playoffs. He also had the benefit of both Wayne Hatswell (who played the game for many years and managed a non-league team to promotion) and Lennie Lawrence with him in the dugout. I believe that the rot set in not long after Hatswell went to Walsall.

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees? That's not going help development for next season. Why has Waite been left out of the team recently? He has been a breath of fresh air, and has an eye for goal, unlike Cooper and Cain. Why not bring Ellison on for the last 10 minutes when we were desperately looking for an equaliser? He has a record of scoring late goals. Why keep Street on the pitch when he was playing so badly in front of goal? Maybe Fisher should have been given a chance.

There are more questions than answers.
I have no idea on any of these but there is a counter argument to the 'why play loanees in a dead rubber'. We have a shortened close season with the first game in July so WHY play our players in place of the loanees? Surely better to play loanees and let them have the extra game in their legs and less rest, let them take the risk of injury etc. No one wants to see any player get injured I get that but imagine if one of our younger players had picked up a bad injury in the last game, everyone would slate JR for playing them in a deal rubber.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

20
Blackandamber wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:06 pm

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees?

I like Rowberry. Further new systems, which clearly he is sticking to, will take time to bed in.

There is though only one possible answer to your question. At some stage in the lead up to the Rochdale game, Rowberry swallowed a stupid pill, found he liked the taste and swallowed the entire bottle. My concern though comes more with post his match comments, or rather lack of them. We all do daft things. I would be happier this morning if post match Rowberry had said, "What the [email protected] was I thinking about there".

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

22
IMB wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:38 pm
Blackandamber wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:06 pm I'm backing the County as always, but I have a lot of doubts about Rowberry and Serrant. Neither has much experience playing or managing teams. You could say the same about Flynn when he was appointed County maanger. However, he had a lot of experience playing in the EFL in all 3 divisions. He was appointed County manager from within. Having being at the club as a player under Edinburgh, winning the Conf playoffs. He also had the benefit of both Wayne Hatswell (who played the game for many years and managed a non-league team to promotion) and Lennie Lawrence with him in the dugout. I believe that the rot set in not long after Hatswell went to Walsall.

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees? That's not going help development for next season. Why has Waite been left out of the team recently? He has been a breath of fresh air, and has an eye for goal, unlike Cooper and Cain. Why not bring Ellison on for the last 10 minutes when we were desperately looking for an equaliser? He has a record of scoring late goals. Why keep Street on the pitch when he was playing so badly in front of goal? Maybe Fisher should have been given a chance.

There are more questions than answers.
I have no idea on any of these but there is a counter argument to the 'why play loanees in a dead rubber'. We have a shortened close season with the first game in July so WHY play our players in place of the loanees? Surely better to play loanees and let them have the extra game in their legs and less rest, let them take the risk of injury etc. No one wants to see any player get injured I get that but imagine if one of our younger players had picked up a bad injury in the last game, everyone would slate JR for playing them in a deal rubber.
I would have preferred youngsters were chosen but I suppose JR is also trying to signal to clubs considering us as a destination. He has to show that we will give players a full season, and won’t stop playing them if our promotion bid ends

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

23
IMB wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:38 pm
Blackandamber wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:06 pm I'm backing the County as always, but I have a lot of doubts about Rowberry and Serrant. Neither has much experience playing or managing teams. You could say the same about Flynn when he was appointed County maanger. However, he had a lot of experience playing in the EFL in all 3 divisions. He was appointed County manager from within. Having being at the club as a player under Edinburgh, winning the Conf playoffs. He also had the benefit of both Wayne Hatswell (who played the game for many years and managed a non-league team to promotion) and Lennie Lawrence with him in the dugout. I believe that the rot set in not long after Hatswell went to Walsall.

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees? That's not going help development for next season. Why has Waite been left out of the team recently? He has been a breath of fresh air, and has an eye for goal, unlike Cooper and Cain. Why not bring Ellison on for the last 10 minutes when we were desperately looking for an equaliser? He has a record of scoring late goals. Why keep Street on the pitch when he was playing so badly in front of goal? Maybe Fisher should have been given a chance.

There are more questions than answers.
I have no idea on any of these but there is a counter argument to the 'why play loanees in a dead rubber'. We have a shortened close season with the first game in July so WHY play our players in place of the loanees? Surely better to play loanees and let them have the extra game in their legs and less rest, let them take the risk of injury etc. No one wants to see any player get injured I get that but imagine if one of our younger players had picked up a bad injury in the last game, everyone would slate JR for playing them in a deal rubber.
Yes I agree that that is a possible counter argument. My counter counter argument would be, why not play youngsters instead of the likes of Dolan, Clarke, Norman and Bennett who could do without the extra game time in their legs and risk injury.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

24
landinho wrote: May 9th, 2022, 2:09 pm
IMB wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:38 pm
Blackandamber wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:06 pm I'm backing the County as always, but I have a lot of doubts about Rowberry and Serrant. Neither has much experience playing or managing teams. You could say the same about Flynn when he was appointed County maanger. However, he had a lot of experience playing in the EFL in all 3 divisions. He was appointed County manager from within. Having being at the club as a player under Edinburgh, winning the Conf playoffs. He also had the benefit of both Wayne Hatswell (who played the game for many years and managed a non-league team to promotion) and Lennie Lawrence with him in the dugout. I believe that the rot set in not long after Hatswell went to Walsall.

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees? That's not going help development for next season. Why has Waite been left out of the team recently? He has been a breath of fresh air, and has an eye for goal, unlike Cooper and Cain. Why not bring Ellison on for the last 10 minutes when we were desperately looking for an equaliser? He has a record of scoring late goals. Why keep Street on the pitch when he was playing so badly in front of goal? Maybe Fisher should have been given a chance.

There are more questions than answers.
I have no idea on any of these but there is a counter argument to the 'why play loanees in a dead rubber'. We have a shortened close season with the first game in July so WHY play our players in place of the loanees? Surely better to play loanees and let them have the extra game in their legs and less rest, let them take the risk of injury etc. No one wants to see any player get injured I get that but imagine if one of our younger players had picked up a bad injury in the last game, everyone would slate JR for playing them in a deal rubber.
I would have preferred youngsters were chosen but I suppose JR is also trying to signal to clubs considering us as a destination. He has to show that we will give players a full season, and won’t stop playing them if our promotion bid ends
I see your argument but I would have thought that if other clubs hadn't picked up on that in the previous 45 games a 46th dead rubber was not likely to change their perception.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

26
Blackandamber wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:06 pm I'm backing the County as always, but I have a lot of doubts about Rowberry and Serrant. Neither has much experience playing or managing teams. You could say the same about Flynn when he was appointed County maanger. However, he had a lot of experience playing in the EFL in all 3 divisions. He was appointed County manager from within. Having being at the club as a player under Edinburgh, winning the Conf playoffs. He also had the benefit of both Wayne Hatswell (who played the game for many years and managed a non-league team to promotion) and Lennie Lawrence with him in the dugout. I believe that the rot set in not long after Hatswell went to Walsall.

Saturday's match was a "dead rubber", so why did Rowberry play 5 loanees? That's not going help development for next season. Why has Waite been left out of the team recently? He has been a breath of fresh air, and has an eye for goal, unlike Cooper and Cain. Why not bring Ellison on for the last 10 minutes when we were desperately looking for an equaliser? He has a record of scoring late goals. Why keep Street on the pitch when he was playing so badly in front of goal? Maybe Fisher should have been given a chance.

There are more questions than answers.
I’m in total agreement with you on these points. I think Ellison was really underused and his experience may have been invaluable when CBR was unfit, he may have formed a useful partnership with Telford using his little headed flicks and tricks and as we know from previous he has an eye for goal. Anyway, if Street was the answer, **** knows what the question was!
I found it worrying that Rowberry seemed like a rabbit in the headlights, albeit a smiling rabbit! Why persist with Street? I found our home collapse extremely worrying in that he failed to get them up for the fight cf. Bristol Rovers where the attitude and positivity was diametrically opposite to ours and we know they weren’t a better team, we proved that! Fed up with sounding like a broken record but I feel we need somebody with more experience, I’d like to see Ellison and O’Brien involved if we’re unwilling to look outside the club.L2 is a league in which being on a learning curve is not a viable stance unless you are planning some fixtures with Woking and Weymouth. Get real or get ready for footballing oblivion.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

27
I wish I had the forgiving loyal nature of Supporter but,I haven’t.I have spent £1080 on sponsoring players kit over the last two years,I am not going to do it this coming season.I am pissed off with the way we threw away the chance this year and,I feel let down by the team.BR had a fantastic run to get automatic promotion,all we had to do was beat four mid table teams with nothing to play for at home to beat them for third spot.All we want is for the team to give us competitive commitment then,if we fail then we can clap the team off and give them the credit they deserve.I have not clapped the team off lately,in fact,I left before the lap of honour,lap of shame more like,on Saturday.

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

28
Percy plunkett wrote: May 9th, 2022, 11:00 pm I wish I had the forgiving loyal nature of Supporter but,I haven’t.I have spent £1080 on sponsoring players kit over the last two years,I am not going to do it this coming season.I am pissed off with the way we threw away the chance this year and,I feel let down by the team.BR had a fantastic run to get automatic promotion,all we had to do was beat four mid table teams with nothing to play for at home to beat them for third spot.All we want is for the team to give us competitive commitment then,if we fail then we can clap the team off and give them the credit they deserve.I have not clapped the team off lately,in fact,I left before the lap of honour,lap of shame more like,on Saturday.
And that’s the point! We attracted new fans only to serve up that spiritless rubbish. Your response will no doubt be repeated by many others despite them being devoted fans, they are completely dispirited by what happened. If JR thinks those performances were acceptable then he should go and he should go now before he gets us relegated. Five home defeats on the trot wouldn’t be accepted by many boards, why is our football club any different? I might have taken a different view if Rowberry had been as mad as hell and completely disconsolate about our performances but apparently he’s not upset by the unacceptable dross we’ve had to witness recently. Well I and many others are and I’m sure are totally p!ssed off by the run-in , is it too much to ask that the supposed manager of the collective be a little concerned as well?

Re: I'm backing JR and his team

29
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 9th, 2022, 7:54 am JR could do with a little more humility and less arrogance about his processes which are clearly not working.

Personally I think he has been over promoted at this stage in his career, and ideally should have taken an assistant managers role to help in his development. Even his current No 2 is lacking in management experience, and for that reason I have advocated for sometime a need to have an experienced mentor working alongside.

We seem to have a small army of coaching staff, with an offer for Kev also now on the table. The point being, a little reorganisation could free up funds to bring in an older and wiser head, that is if JR is prepared to listen and recognise when his process is wrong!
I agree that he could with a bit more humility and less arrogance and indeed if he thinks that performance against Rochdale was acceptable
we are really are in deep trouble. I also wish he refrain from the cliches and referring to Cardiff City and his time there all the bleeding time.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users