Re: Rumours ( seen on other message boards / forums ) ---County related

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:43 pm If I was Dom, and the contract offer was right, I’d want to stay at County as something obviously clicked for him this season, personally I think it was his attacking relationship with CBR and I hope both stay. He’s had one superb season after a few years where he was either inconsistent or in/out of the team.

If he did leave, depending on where he lives, Exeter might be a good option.

On the others -

I’d want Haynes to stay as, when on form, he gets forward and isn’t afraid to have a shot from distance, something we lacked in previous seasons.

I’d prefer to retain Townsend and release Day, if Walsall or others show an interest.

Mickey and Benno are a dilemma - both good, reliable senior pros but are either good enough to form part of a promotion seeking team? Mickey gets too many OGs for my liking, but his strengths outweigh this. Dolan has also been a good servant to the club and is the best at dead-ball situations.

Both Bristol City and Cardiff will be making wholesale squad changes in the summer - BCFC forced because of FFP and Cardiff have growing debts. There will be some experienced and younger players released who will be worth a look.

Definitely worth nurturing the relationship with Stevie G at Villa also, seeing how well Azaz developed this year he may want to send another player our way.

I also hope we’ve taken a look at some NI talent - several other teams have bought some cheap stars from across the water so there are stars out there who would love the chance of a pro career.

Finally, onto coaching - I hope we can make use of Fraser Franks, MoB, Podge, Pipey or Kev, but not all of them. All have something different to offer in terms of strength and conditioning or training ground coaching. It’s obvious we have an inexperienced management duo and while this hasn’t held back FGR or MK Dons this season, it won’t always be successful. Pulis in as a Lennie-type consultant may help.
Some interesting points there DeePee. Like the ideas but I think your last sentence is a bit of wishful thinking. Tony Pulis is a big name and obviously a Newport boy. However, I don’t think that his and JR style of play and management are compatible. He is of the old fashioned school and likes the long ball whilst JR is a ‘new’ type of manager. However, whilst they appear to be opposites in their style of play, you never know, it could work. Hmm.

Also, love the idea of Stevie G having a connection with the County.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:04 pm Azas deal with us was struck long before SG went to Villa.
Yes that’s obvious, but it still doesn’t stop Stevie G and his academy loan manager recognising the progress Azaz has made this season at our club, so are possibly more likely to send another one our way.

On Mr Day, if he gets the nod that MF is interested in taking him to Walsall on a 2 year deal on the same money (because MF will know what he earns) and he’s told he’s not guaranteed a first team spot at County, then my guess is he’ll want the guaranteed playing time elsewhere, particularly after he spent 2 years at Cardiff barely even making the bench.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 11th, 2022, 12:09 am
Justanordinaryfan wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:04 pm Azas deal with us was struck long before SG went to Villa.
Yes that’s obvious, but it still doesn’t stop Stevie G and his academy loan manager recognising the progress Azaz has made this season at our club, so are possibly more likely to send another one our way.

On Mr Day, if he gets the nod that MF is interested in taking him to Walsall on a 2 year deal on the same money (because MF will know what he earns) and he’s told he’s not guaranteed a first team spot at County, then my guess is he’ll want the guaranteed playing time elsewhere, particularly after he spent 2 years at Cardiff barely even making the bench.
Yes it's the academy loan manager that is likely to be advising Stevie G on teams to send players out to. But the loan players are likely to be the last to be sorted out. Having said that County seem to have a decent relationship with Brizzle City, Swansea and hopefully Liverpool and Villa after this season. If you're talking loans though Forest seem to be a decent place to look at the moment and with Steve Cooper there could be amenable.

It's a complete rebuild again for next season. One GK needs to go and a youngster on the bench/playing in cup games. Defensively possibly 2 centre backs, Demetriou needs competition because he can't be expected to play every game, Farky injury prone and Clarke too slow (though good positional sense) and one full back (either Lewis or Haynes to go). Too many sloppy goals conceded last season - that needs to be stopped.

Midfield. Too many loans in this area last season, it solved what has been a running sore for many years in the County side but essentially it's back to Dolan, Bennett, Robbie and Waite (and ?Senior). Out of that I'd get rid of two which means bringing in another four or five.

Forwards. Telford will go. CBR doesn't do enough work for me and often has a poor first touch. Fisher has been a waste of time IMO, poor first touch and lazy. Collins has gone backwards and Abrahams just awful. That's a lot of forwards that need to be jettisoned and replaced. All on a small budget for League Two.

Oh and any players coming in have to be better than those departing/being released.

Good luck Rowberry, you'll need it.