Re: Retained List

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:43 pm Notice that Pask wasn't mentioned as being offered a contract, but might that be because he is still technically a Coventry player?
He has been released.I did see on the key dates release that the summer transfer window opens on June 10.I hadn’t heard of that before,I thought that signings can happen anytime,does it mean that no transfers can be announced before that date,seems odd that one.As for Pask,he seems to lack physicality which cost the goal at PV.I think we can do better than him.

Percy plunkett wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:06 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:43 pm Notice that Pask wasn't mentioned as being offered a contract, but might that be because he is still technically a Coventry player?
He has been released.I did see on the key dates release that the summer transfer window opens on June 10.I hadn’t heard of that before,I thought that signings can happen anytime,does it mean that no transfers can be announced before that date,seems odd that one.As for Pask,he seems to lack physicality which cost the goal at PV.I think we can do better than him.

Thought it a little strange as JR is reported as saying he would like to sign him. Could this mean that he has declined any interest in signing for us.?

I'd have kept Haynes, but it was a judgement call and if JR and Darren Kelly have got someone specific in mind who they think is better value then fair enough. I'd have kept Livermore too, but as discussed previously it sounds like he has engineered himself a move elsewhere.

The rest is pretty much as expected. I'd love to see Telford and CBR re-sign but doubt they will. I'd like to see us sign Pask permanently, and suspect it'll happen. Beyond that, it's up to JR and to Darren Kelly.

This window is a big test, I think.

Percy plunkett wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:06 pm
Doesn't make any sense at all. You can sign anyone whenever you please. The only power the League can have would be to prevent a club from playing someone signed outside the transfer window. I don't know but it seems to me a case of inelegant semantics. In terms the League pointing out that contracts last until 10 June.

Kairdiff Exile wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:28 pm I'd have kept Haynes, but it was a judgement call and if JR and Darren Kelly have got someone specific in mind who they think is better value then fair enough. I'd have kept Livermore too, but as discussed previously it sounds like he has engineered himself a move elsewhere.

The rest is pretty much as expected. I'd love to see Telford and CBR re-sign but doubt they will. I'd like to see us sign Pask permanently, and suspect it'll happen. Beyond that, it's up to JR and to Darren Kelly.

This window is a big test, I think.
That’s identical to my sentiments on the matter. Additionally I’d venture to suggest that he had a squad that almost ( and indeed should have ) got us promoted, I’ll expect better as this’ll be all his choices so his summer dealings are indeed a test. No pressure. 😂

Fuming has a very good point about strikers I think, they get you out of trouble! Problem is they usually cost, especially if they’re strikers that actually score! Not sure if we’ve got the pull or the cash to get somebody effective in but it’s importance can’t be overestimated, if we manage to achieve that elusive formula, we still need a midfield that chips in too. Not much to ask 😂 and just about everybody in the leagues are also seeking these mystical creatures. Over to you SD

Yes, we don’t have long to recruit half a new squad: the league is starting earlier next season (July I think) because of the World Cup, so the pre-season rest will be 3-4 weeks at the most.

It’s clear what we need - a 10-15 goal striker, two if Dom leaves, I wonder if Jamille Matt might be tempted to return, as I’m not sure he’s got what it takes to thrive in Lge1. Also need some skill and pace in the midfield and more flexible defenders at the back.

I’m hoping Farky and Waite have good seasons.

One of JR’s challenges will be to make a player out of Farquharson. Farquharson has some of the attributes of a decent centre-half but can be closed down too easily and is prone to losing the ball in dangerous areas as a result. JR built his reputation at Cardiff as a coach, so it will be interesting to see whether he can improve this aspect of Priestley‘s game.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 11th, 2022, 10:44 pm Yes, we don’t have long to recruit half a new squad: the league is starting earlier next season (July I think) because of the World Cup, so the pre-season rest will be 3-4 weeks at the most.

It’s clear what we need - a 10-15 goal striker, two if Dom leaves, I wonder if Jamille Matt might be tempted to return, as I’m not sure he’s got what it takes to thrive in Lge1. Also need some skill and pace in the midfield and more flexible defenders at the back.

I'd have Jamma back in a heartbeat but I can't think they'd release the club captain. It says on Wiki that we released him at the end of his 2 year contract. Is that correct??! BIt punchy if so!

Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:11 am
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 11th, 2022, 10:44 pm Yes, we don’t have long to recruit half a new squad: the league is starting earlier next season (July I think) because of the World Cup, so the pre-season rest will be 3-4 weeks at the most.

I'd have Jamma back in a heartbeat but I can't think they'd release the club captain. It says on Wiki that we released him at the end of his 2 year contract. Is that correct??! BIt punchy if so!
Officially we released him but only because we couldn't afford fo offer him a new contract because of Covid and we probably already knew he was being offered a lot more money elsewhere.. We released Bennett at the same time too due to our budget being unknown but offered him a contract later by which time Matt had signed for FGR