Re: Retained List

The contract had expired, so we didn't release him. What happened was because of covid we sensibly decided not to offer a new one until the budget could be finallsed. , Once it could, Bennett who was in the same situation signed a renewal but Matt preferred not to wait which was fair enough.

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:01 am The contract had expired, so we didn't release him. What happened was because of covid we sensibly decided not to offer a new one until the budget could be finallsed. , Once it could, Bennett who was in the same situation signed a renewal but Matt preferred not to wait which was fair enough.
You are correct but you can't release someone on contract so if you don't offer a new contract for whatever reason you have essentially released them.

Ugo. wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:15 am
ajs wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:07 am Could afford a 3yr contract for Day who failed in higher divisions when we had two good goalkeepers anyway. should of spent the money Matt!!!

Matt was season before
Beat me to it. Also, when Day signed, we no longer had two goalies as King had signed for Salford.

owlsabout wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:02 pm King was always going the day 3 year deal is a strange one for me ..matt and Bennett never wanted to leave and flynny didn't want them to .powers above intervention hence why Bennett took to social media.
It is probably little coincidence that Day was on Elite Management books, yet we have never been told what the contractual relationship was with the County that was so publicly terminated. Indeed, why did the Club think it necessary to have such an unique arrangement with a football agency in the first place?

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 14th, 2022, 6:56 am Day made sense for me - it's well known he lives locally and has a young family, his options would have been us as a bird in the hand close to home not on a fortune or go on the "have gloves, will travel" circuit for a few years. No-brainer all round.
Follow some of those points, but a 3 year contract for a keeper who had failed to establish himself at either Bristol and Cardiff seems excessive.

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 14th, 2022, 6:56 am Day made sense for me - it's well known he lives locally and has a young family, his options would have been us as a bird in the hand close to home not on a fortune or go on the "have gloves, will travel" circuit for a few years. No-brainer all round.
No brainer if you're Joe Day undoubtedly. No brainer for Newport County? Not so sure.

King wanted to stay he was removed to make way for Day, it's reported on this site somewhere.
The retained list only shows 3 players that JR has signed Wilmott Waite and Clarke, the rest from Flynn's time with us, I wonder how many JR would like to get rid of