Re: An open letter to the chair of Newport County.

lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:27 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:52 pm
lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:34 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:31 am
lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:17 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:50 am
lowandhard wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:54 pm It occurs to me that reasoning that the council would be unwilling to spend money on sport because it has other responsibilities is nonsense for a number of reasons a couple of which are
a) History. It spent ten times the cost of buying RP on a white elephant shopping mall
b) common sense. The city traders would lose a lot of revenue if the main sporting venue was removed.
There are others of course like the possibility of making it a multiple use venue and the prestige and profile that sport teams bring to a city but it seems obvious that the risk of a city the size of Newport losing its only ( in reality ) sporting venue would be unthinkable.
The Council provided the money to construct Friers Walk as the city centre wasn't attracting shoppers. It was done on the basis that it would be sold to a private investment company - which it has. So new asset including bus station and car park now run privately. The Council first looked for a development partner, and when that proved difficult because of the existing empty shops, arranged the required borrowing. What is termed catalyst funding.
Rodney Parade is an existing asset that is just privately owned.
As that company now has a complete white elephant on its hands with even the flagship store as empty as a mid west ghost town and other major stores disappearing rapidly, perhaps we could offer them a quid for it and build a stadium next to the bus station. 😂
Perhaps we should just ask your lad to buy Rodney Parade, he has the money, and it seems like he is having difficulty with selling the Dragon's as a viable package.
It’s not my money and neither is it my business so don’t assume by my posts what his wishes or intentions happen to be. , you assume you know his worth too it seems. You further assume that the WRU are willing a) to sell b) to do so at a price that makes sense. I have a really good relationship with my son, how far that would survive my meddling in his affairs I know not. Anyway, out of courtesy and mutual respect - I don’t.
Which I understand and respect.

My substantive point remains, that you and Stan are doing exactly that with Council Funding. Suggesting that they should spend money (which is not yours) when it has a backlog of statutory obligations to meet.

Just concider for a moment if David went to the Council asking for money, I would be disappointed if that was not met with : spend your own first.

The Council did provide Newport Rugby with the means to redevelop Rodney Parade with the linked planning consent. If the university campus had been based in Newport (as was invisaged at the time) then there would have been a need for the student tower blocks on the cabbage patch, to fund it.

The conference centre at the Celtic Manor has provided a need for more facilities in the city centre , hence government assistance for the redevelopment of the chartist tower into a new hotel which opened this week. The revamped market has also had assistance, and is excellent, up there with similar in London, Manchester and Bristol that I have visited.
Why not spend money on a “ sporting quarter” including the stadium to provide leisure and sporting activities for the city? It could also function as an entertainment venue. Retail isn’t the only thing they should spend money on after all and local businesses benefit from sport in any case.
That's not what he has asked for in his letter is it?
That is the major issue isn't it? You can't call Gavin gormless for not following Stans plan, when he doesn't have one, apart from whataboutism. What about this team? and that team? and this Government? or this council? .

Why can't we have the same? is not a plan, it's ignoring the fact that it's only in the WRU's gift, and that is only likely to be triggered by David Buttress, as it is solely his remit.

How can you expect anyone to work on number crunching to find out if it is viable? Can we afford to support it? Where do we take the money from? Etc etc with no actual plan, no responsibility,no accountability, representing no one.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:24 pm
lowandhard wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:54 pm It occurs to me that reasoning that the council would be unwilling to spend money on sport because it has other responsibilities is nonsense for a number of reasons a couple of which are
a) History. It spent ten times the cost of buying RP on a white elephant shopping mall
b) common sense. The city traders would lose a lot of revenue if the main sporting venue was removed.
There are others of course like the possibility of making it a multiple use venue and the prestige and profile that sport teams bring to a city but it seems obvious that the risk of a city the size of Newport losing its only ( in reality ) sporting venue would be unthinkable.
The Council provided the money to construct Friers Walk as the city centre wasn't attracting shoppers. It was done on the basis that it would be sold to a private investment company - which it has. So new asset including bus station and car park now run privately. The Council first looked for a development partner, and when that proved difficult because of the existing empty shops, arranged the required borrowing. What is termed catalyst funding.
As that company now has a complete white elephant on its hands with even the flagship store as empty as a mid west ghost town and other major stores disappearing rapidly, perhaps we could offer them a quid for it and build a stadium next to the bus station. 😂
Perhaps we should just ask your lad to buy Rodney Parade, he has the money, and it seems like he is having difficulty with selling the Dragon's as a viable package.
It’s not my money and neither is it my business so don’t assume by my posts what his wishes or intentions happen to be. , you assume you know his worth too it seems. You further assume that the WRU are willing a) to sell b) to do so at a price that makes sense. I have a really good relationship with my son, how far that would survive my meddling in his affairs I know not. Anyway, out of courtesy and mutual respect - I don’t.

My substantive point remains, that you and Stan are doing exactly that with Council Funding. Suggesting that they should spend money (which is not yours) when it has a backlog of statutory obligations to meet.

Just concider for a moment if David went to the Council asking for money, I would be disappointed if that was not met with : spend your own first.

The Council did provide Newport Rugby with the means to redevelop Rodney Parade with the linked planning consent. If the university campus had been based in Newport (as was invisaged at the time) then there would have been a need for the student tower blocks on the cabbage patch, to fund it.

The conference centre at the Celtic Manor has provided a need for more facilities in the city centre , hence government assistance for the redevelopment of the chartist tower into a new hotel which opened this week. The revamped market has also had assistance, and is excellent, up there with similar in London, Manchester and Bristol that I have visited.
Why not spend money on a “ sporting quarter” including the stadium to provide leisure and sporting activities for the city? It could also function as an entertainment venue. Retail isn’t the only thing they should spend money on after all and local businesses benefit from sport in any case.
That is the major issue isn't it? You can't call Gavin gormless for not following Stans plan, when he doesn't have one, apart from whataboutism. What about this team? and that team? and this Government? or this council? .

Why can't we have the same? is not a plan, it's ignoring the fact that it's only in the WRU's gift, and that is only likely to be triggered by David Buttress, as it is solely his remit.

How can you expect anyone to work on number crunching to find out if it is viable? Can we afford to support it? Where do we take the money from? Etc etc with no actual plan, no responsibility,no accountability, representing no one.
I hold no brief for Stan but surely he’s asking for somebody ( Newport County ) to get the ball rolling. Not a lot to ask ( perhaps they already have, I don’t know ) and all this nonsense about not being anything to do with the council is a distraction. Of course Sport and leisure is in the brief as far as councils are concerned and it comes within their duty to provide facilities for same. If RP disappeared because of a decision by the WRU to go into house building as a little hobby for themselves, the impact on Newport as a city and its commercial and social life would be considerable. Part of the history and achievements of the city have been provided by the sporting teams and it’s time the council realised it.

Feels a bit awkward, I don't really like the way this has been directed at DB. He's already trying to take on the Dragons (who lose £800k a year). It's clear he's not going to make money from this endeavour and is only doing it because of his love for the area and sport.

It's one thing, as tax paying residents, to ask the Council to step up, but I don't really like the idea of asking his family about his wealth and whether he could spend even more money. I have a lot of respect for the money he's put in (and not sought back) already.

landinho wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:58 pm Feels a bit awkward, I don't really like the way this has been directed at DB. He's already trying to take on the Dragons (who lose £800k a year). It's clear he's not going to make money from this endeavour and is only doing it because of his love for the area and sport.

It's one thing, as tax paying residents, to ask the Council to step up, but I don't really like the idea of asking his family about his wealth and whether he could spend even more money. I have a lot of respect for the money he's put in (and not sought back) already.
Quite.

David Buttress is now chair of Dragons. It is in my view perfectly in order to suggest that the chair of Newport County contact the chair of Dragons to see whether they can make common cause. David Buttress has a duty to act for the benefit of Dragons not Newport County. If and I stress if, David Buttress were to decide he were not interested that is the end of the matter. It would be wrong to be critical of him were he to make that decision.

Asking his family members, or more accurately a family member, about his wealth, what his views are, or any other personal matter is disgraceful.

In this thread there are two posters who seem unable to answer one very simple question. So once more I will ask Bangitinthenet and GSB one simple question which if they choose to answer, I would be grateful if they would just answer the question.

If you want something, regardless of whether you get it or not, what is the harm of asking?

Edit.

Going back to the 'phone call, end not beginning in the very worst circumstance.

So what d'ya think Dave?

I see where your coming from Gav' but I'm not interested.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you don't mind me asking?

Of course not. Always a pleasure to talk to you

And you,.Bye Dave.

Bye Gav.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on May 19th, 2022, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:39 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:24 pm

I hold no brief for Stan but surely he’s asking for somebody ( Newport County ) to get the ball rolling. Not a lot to ask ( perhaps they already have, I don’t know ) and all this nonsense about not being anything to do with the council is a distraction. Of course Sport and leisure is in the brief as far as councils are concerned and it comes within their duty to provide facilities for same. If RP disappeared because of a decision by the WRU to go into house building as a little hobby for themselves, the impact on Newport as a city and its commercial and social life would be considerable. Part of the history and achievements of the city have been provided by the sporting teams and it’s time the council realised it.
Rodney Parade is a facility that is already there.

Stan mentioned David Hando. Well David had to meet the challenges head on, as they occurred. Had to be reactive, rather than proactive as events out of his control mounted up in front of him, and overcame them one by one.
What he didn't do was go looking for a problem that at this point in time is unlikely to occur.

David Buttress has the remit to sell the Dragon's as a going concern, a viable option for a party to take forward. At present he is hampered in that the other regions are able to pay more as the system is in their favour. That is what needs to be addressed, how to develop players equally across the regions and be successful, then when he can map out a future, it will be easier to sell. At present all that is happening is the better internationals earn more. How does that develop individuals?
How does Stan deciding that the WRU are going to close down the Dragon's help David Buttress in his quest? How does it help the WRU develop better individuals?

The bottom line is it's David Buttress' remit, and therefore for him to resolve, not be passed over to someone else, how will that sit with David Buttress?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:21 pm In this thread there are two posters who seem unable to answer one very simple question. So once more I will ask Bangitinthenet and GSB one simple question which if they choose to answer, I would be grateful if they would just answer the question.

If you want something, regardless of whether you get it or not, what is the harm of asking?

Edit.

Going back to the 'phone call, end not beginning in the very worst circumstance.

So what d'ya think Dave?

And you,.Bye Dave.

Bye Gav.

Because it is not in the gift of Gavin, the Council or David Buttress, and it makes the almighty assumption that they don't discuss issues that may impact, but won't divert resource to, as it is unlikely (as you yourself indicated in the letter).

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:35 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:21 pm In this thread there are two posters who seem unable to answer one very simple question. So once more I will ask Bangitinthenet and GSB one simple question which if they choose to answer, I would be grateful if they would just answer the question.

Edit.

So what d'ya think Dave?

And you,.Bye Dave.

Bye Gav.

Because it is not in the gift of Gavin, the Council or David Buttress, and it makes the almighty assumption that they don't discuss issues that may impact, but won't divert resource to, as it is unlikely (as you yourself indicated in the letter).
Try answering the question.

What is the harm of asking?

And look at what I have said. I think the chairman of Newport County should approach the chair of Dragons to see if the Dragons would be interested in a joint approach to Newport City Council?

I come back to my analogy of the worlds most beautiful woman. It is not in my gift that she agrees to have dinner with me, that his her decision. It is in my gift to ask her. That is my decision.

Or to put it more bluntly if you don't try you reject yourself.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 5:47 pm You're simply trying to justify what you have already done.

It the same as me going on the Dragon's forum, as a non season ticket holder, demanding that David Buttress makes it unpalatable for Newport County to remain at Rodney Parade. Because without screwing them into oblivion the Dragon's will obviously fail to attract the players to develop a successful team.

Just answer the question. :roll:

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 5:47 pm You're simply trying to justify what you have already done.

It the same as me going on the Dragon's forum, as a non season ticket holder, demanding that David Buttress makes it unpalatable for Newport County to remain at Rodney Parade. Because without screwing them into oblivion the Dragon's will obviously fail to attract the players to develop a successful team.
Can’t see the equivalence there at all, I must admit. And why would asking actually be a problem? After all, it’s pretty simple to deal with if you’re the recipient of the enquiry. Again the “ attractive ladies “ were an illustration not an actuality. Just why would you be so against such a communication.

lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:45 pm

Can’t see the equivalence there at all, I must admit. And why would asking actually be a problem? After all, it’s pretty simple to deal with if you’re the recipient of the enquiry. Again the “ attractive ladies “ were an illustration not an actuality. Just why would you be so against such a communication.
Because it gives validity to a fantasy.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm There is no actual, tangeable real problem, so YES there is a massive problem with asking.

You can't see that, because you live your life fantasizing about problems, and asking attractive Ladies out to dinner.

You say there is no problem I believe there is.

If I am right then what is the problem with asking?

If I am wrong what is the harm in asking?

You see ever since I have posted on this board I have highlighted the problem as I see it that we have either not had a stadium which was fit for purpose or since 2012 have not had a stadium with which we had security. Indeed Kevin Ward himself has been critical of the terms of the licence to play at Rodney Parade.

From 2003 until our move to Rodney Parade the ambition of the club was to play in the football league. Those with charge of our club did not acknowledge that this was not possible whilst we were at Spytty. It is to David Hando's credit that once in the Football League he stated that it would have been impossible for us to be a league at Spytty. I regret very much that this fact obvious to me seemed beyond those with charge of our club for over 20 years.

Still at least we know one director at Newport County knows we have at the very least a potential problem. Whether he has the gumption to do anything about this remains to be seen. At least, unlike yourself, he can see the problem.

There is no problem, you are a fantasist who dreams that writing open letters on a fans forum is going to solve all your problems.
I remember weeks and weeks of posts about the Stanifesto, full of things that you were going to do if elected. However when it came to election time and you realised that you might have to actually deliver on this fantasy, suddenly living away stopped you putting your name forward. Pathetic fantasist always worried how Newport County are going to go bust, and the solution is to copy what made us go bust.