Re: An open letter to the chair of Newport County.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:50 am
lowandhard wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:54 pm It occurs to me that reasoning that the council would be unwilling to spend money on sport because it has other responsibilities is nonsense for a number of reasons a couple of which are
a) History. It spent ten times the cost of buying RP on a white elephant shopping mall
b) common sense. The city traders would lose a lot of revenue if the main sporting venue was removed.
There are others of course like the possibility of making it a multiple use venue and the prestige and profile that sport teams bring to a city but it seems obvious that the risk of a city the size of Newport losing its only ( in reality ) sporting venue would be unthinkable.
The Council provided the money to construct Friers Walk as the city centre wasn't attracting shoppers. It was done on the basis that it would be sold to a private investment company - which it has. So new asset including bus station and car park now run privately. The Council first looked for a development partner, and when that proved difficult because of the existing empty shops, arranged the required borrowing. What is termed catalyst funding.
Rodney Parade is an existing asset that is just privately owned.
As that company now has a complete white elephant on its hands with even the flagship store as empty as a mid west ghost town and other major stores disappearing rapidly, perhaps we could offer them a quid for it and build a stadium next to the bus station. 😂

lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:17 am
lowandhard wrote: May 18th, 2022, 10:54 pm It occurs to me that reasoning that the council would be unwilling to spend money on sport because it has other responsibilities is nonsense for a number of reasons a couple of which are
a) History. It spent ten times the cost of buying RP on a white elephant shopping mall
b) common sense. The city traders would lose a lot of revenue if the main sporting venue was removed.
There are others of course like the possibility of making it a multiple use venue and the prestige and profile that sport teams bring to a city but it seems obvious that the risk of a city the size of Newport losing its only ( in reality ) sporting venue would be unthinkable.
The Council provided the money to construct Friers Walk as the city centre wasn't attracting shoppers. It was done on the basis that it would be sold to a private investment company - which it has. So new asset including bus station and car park now run privately. The Council first looked for a development partner, and when that proved difficult because of the existing empty shops, arranged the required borrowing. What is termed catalyst funding.
As that company now has a complete white elephant on its hands with even the flagship store as empty as a mid west ghost town and other major stores disappearing rapidly, perhaps we could offer them a quid for it and build a stadium next to the bus station. 😂
Perhaps we should just ask your lad to buy Rodney Parade, he has the money, and it seems like he is having difficulty with selling the Dragon's as a viable package.

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 19th, 2022, 9:35 am I'd argue it's important readers know where people are coming from and what their track record is. Otherwise it winds up like Boris counting on the public's memory banks being wiped clean every couple of months.
I agree.

For years I argued that Spytty Park was unfit for purpose. Eventually most people agreed with me including David Hando who admitted that Newport County could never have become a League club had we remained at Spytty.

So whose words are these?

For many of us, the installation of two demountable stands last season tipped the scales between Spytty Park being an athletics stadium hosting a football club and a football stadium which happens to have an athletics track...... which again give Spytty some of the best end on views Blue Square Premier....... Supporters were delighted.

So the argus say: "(WRU) paid £2.85million for Rodney Parade, wiped off an existing £900,000 loan and gave the Black and Ambers a cash sum of £600,000." Totalling £4.35m. The 2018 accounts then show its value as £5.296m, so bought at a 900k discount, I think.

But since then land has stayed the same value but fixtures and fittings have depreciated 10-25% each year, from £1.14m in 2018 to £0.524m in 2021. Keen to see if 2022 adds the pitch value. The whole asset is as a result now only worth a total of £4.6m (still more than they paid).

Thought I'd mention too - Welsh Gov just spent £4m on a field used by Green Man Festival in the Brecon Beacons. Different genre sure, but shows that the public sector can and will support arts/sports/culture. Will be interesting to find out what terms they’ve done this on. https://www.thenational.wales/environme ... cons-farm/

landinho wrote: May 19th, 2022, 12:34 pm So the argus say: "(WRU) paid £2.85million for Rodney Parade, wiped off an existing £900,000 loan and gave the Black and Ambers a cash sum of £600,000." Totalling £4.35m. The 2018 accounts then show its value as £5.296m, so bought at a 900k discount, I think.

But since then land has stayed the same value but fixtures and fittings have depreciated 10-25% each year, from £1.14m in 2018 to £0.524m in 2021. Keen to see if 2022 adds the pitch value. The whole asset is as a result now only worth a total of £4.6m (still more than they paid).

Thought I'd mention too - Welsh Gov just spent £4m on a field used by Green Man Festival in the Brecon Beacons. Different genre sure, but shows that the public sector can and will support arts/sports/culture. Will be interesting to find out what terms they’ve done this on. https://www.thenational.wales/environme ... cons-farm/
Interesting for me as I am staying on the Glan Usk Estate this weekend. At £17k an acre it must include the farm house accommodation which is available for rental. In Talybont the farm house could easily be worth upwards of 1 million.

I find the communication channels between us and fans and the club, so much more improved, whether it can be improved more il leave it to the experts to debate.

There’s obviously certain lines of communication & topics that are strictly confidential, but I see lots of concerns around Our lease and lack of Ground ownership on various SM mediums (not necessarily on this platform in fairness), and I find it absolutely incredible that “some” fans actually think that the club aren’t in dialogue with the relevant parties around lease extension and training location ideas etc.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:31 am
Perhaps we should just ask your lad to buy Rodney Parade, he has the money, and it seems like he is having difficulty with selling the Dragon's as a viable package.
It’s not my money and neither is it my business so don’t assume by my posts what his wishes or intentions happen to be. , you assume you know his worth too it seems. You further assume that the WRU are willing a) to sell b) to do so at a price that makes sense. I have a really good relationship with my son, how far that would survive my meddling in his affairs I know not. Anyway, out of courtesy and mutual respect - I don’t.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:24 pm I find the communication channels between us and fans and the club, so much more improved, whether it can be improved more il leave it to the experts to debate.

There’s obviously certain lines of communication & topics that are strictly confidential, but I see lots of concerns around Our lease and lack of Ground ownership on various SM mediums (not necessarily on this platform in fairness), and I find it absolutely incredible that “some” fans actually think that the club aren’t in dialogue with the relevant parties around lease extension and training location ideas etc.
The chair and board of Newport County are aware of my post and the follow up to it. It is a suggestion nothing more, nothing less. It is entirely a matter for them as to whether they choose to act on my suggestion. It is entirely a matter for them whether they choose to state what if any action they propose to take. Shareholders and Trust members are entitled to ask questions at the GM. (To call it an AGM would imply these meeting take place on an annual basis.)

As usual, whenever a suggestion is made on this board, there are three types of response. Those who endorse such a move, those who offer constructive criticism, and those who simply obfuscate and distort. Your post falls in my view into the second category. So let me answer your point as best I can.

I am not privy to what discussions the board may or may not have. It is entirely possible that the phone call I suggest has been made. It is entirely possible the suggestion has been considered and discounted. It is entirely possible that the offer has been made and rebuffed either by the Dragons, NCC or the WRU. But it is entirely possible that it wasn't thought of.

And that final, and regrettable eventuality has now be ameliorated.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on May 19th, 2022, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:34 pm
It’s not my money and neither is it my business so don’t assume by my posts what his wishes or intentions happen to be. , you assume you know his worth too it seems. You further assume that the WRU are willing a) to sell b) to do so at a price that makes sense. I have a really good relationship with my son, how far that would survive my meddling in his affairs I know not. Anyway, out of courtesy and mutual respect - I don’t.
Which I understand and respect.

My substantive point remains, that you and Stan are doing exactly that with Council Funding. Suggesting that they should spend money (which is not yours) when it has a backlog of statutory obligations to meet.

Just concider for a moment if David went to the Council asking for money, I would be disappointed if that was not met with : spend your own first.

The Council did provide Newport Rugby with the means to redevelop Rodney Parade with the linked planning consent. If the university campus had been based in Newport (as was invisaged at the time) then there would have been a need for the student tower blocks on the cabbage patch, to fund it.

The conference centre at the Celtic Manor has provided a need for more facilities in the city centre , hence government assistance for the redevelopment of the chartist tower into a new hotel which opened this week. The revamped market has also had assistance, and is excellent, up there with similar in London, Manchester and Bristol that I have visited.

If we look at Bangitinthenet's post it is in his view, perfectly proper for Newport City Council to spend capital on Newport Market, Chartist Tower and Celtic manner for the benefit of the citizens of Newport but to even suggest that monies be spent on the purchase of Rodney Parade for the benefit of the citizens of Newport is somehow wrong.

For the avoidance of doubt, the upgrade of Newport Market I certainly don't object to, even though the money could have been spent on health or education. I don't know the details with respect to Chartist Tower or Celtic Manor so can't comment on either of these.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:02 pm If we look at Bangitinthenet's post it is in his view, perfectly proper for Newport City Council to spend capital on Newport Market, Chartist Tower and Celtic manner for the benefit of the citizens of Newport but to even suggest that monies be spent on the purchase of Rodney Parade for the benefit of the citizens of Newport is somehow wrong.

For the avoidance of doubt, the upgrade of Newport Market I certainly don't object to, even though the money could have been spent on health or education. I don't know the details with respect to Chartist Tower or Celtic Manor so can't comment on either of these.
It is money that the Welsh Government have provided to assist with Development

So you are asking the club directors to go to the Council begging them to solve what issues exactly?

Is it development?....... ER um no

Is the ground for sale?....... ER um no

Are the Dragon's for sale?.... Yes

Well that sits with David Buttress doesn't it, but thank you for your call, have a pleasant day.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:52 pm
lowandhard wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:34 pm
Which I understand and respect.

My substantive point remains, that you and Stan are doing exactly that with Council Funding. Suggesting that they should spend money (which is not yours) when it has a backlog of statutory obligations to meet.

Just concider for a moment if David went to the Council asking for money, I would be disappointed if that was not met with : spend your own first.

The Council did provide Newport Rugby with the means to redevelop Rodney Parade with the linked planning consent. If the university campus had been based in Newport (as was invisaged at the time) then there would have been a need for the student tower blocks on the cabbage patch, to fund it.

The conference centre at the Celtic Manor has provided a need for more facilities in the city centre , hence government assistance for the redevelopment of the chartist tower into a new hotel which opened this week. The revamped market has also had assistance, and is excellent, up there with similar in London, Manchester and Bristol that I have visited.
Why not spend money on a “ sporting quarter” including the stadium to provide leisure and sporting activities for the city? It could also function as an entertainment venue. Retail isn’t the only thing they should spend money on after all and local businesses benefit from sport in any case.

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:11 am Stan, this keeps coming up but remind us which forum user loves his home town so much he posted this: "Typical Newport. Quite prepared to give out stick, whines like a piglet at the merest hint of criticism."

I don't know where you get this "counsel of despair" nonsense from. As part of your tired attempt to pass yourself of as some sort of visionary supporter, you come up with a statement of the blindingly obvious - boiling down to it would be a good idea to be in contact with all potentially interested parties about the ground's future ownership - and present it as a heroic insight. It's about as insightful as saying today is Thursday.

And because your own thought processes rarely get much beyond grandstanding, your instinct is to conduct this dialogue in public right from the off. While thinking it has only been a live issue for a few weeks.
George,

It has only been a live issue since it became public knowledge that at the very least the WRU were contemplating cutting the Welsh regions to three.

And I love my home town so much. But being an adult I don't pretend my home town is without fault. I don't shy away from being critical. I know when I see the monumental f@ck up that town planners made of the centre of Newport throughout the 1960s and '70s that my love of the place demands that I say that's not good enough we can do better. When people whine and say we can't compete with Cardiff or Bristol, my response is that we can't compete if you have that attitude.

Love is when you know all the faults, when you see the ugly side, and when all the pretence has gone, when all disguise is gone. If then, and only then, if you still care, that is love.