Re: Signings?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 16th, 2022, 6:36 am
lowandhard wrote: June 15th, 2022, 10:10 pm
Ugo. wrote: June 14th, 2022, 11:45 pm Lemonheigh-Evans has signed for Stockport County
Damn! Sort of player I was hoping we’d get especially since playing in the south for Torquay.
Only last Friday I was speaking with a sport reporter from Torquay who told me that he believed Lemonheigh-Evans was indeed going to sign for Newport. Perhaps we’ve been gazumped by a team with deeper pockets, or the reporter was just simply wrong.

Given all the statements from Rowberry about the advanced planning on signings carried out by him and Kelly, I had expected us to have had news on a few more since the window opened on the 10th June. Indeed, what’s even happening with Dom?
Indeed regarding Dom.
No news, seems to me that he is either holding out for a better pay rise or hoping that someone will come knocking.
If he had renewed his contract it would of be posted by now.
I would of thought that if a team was interested by now, he would of gone, personally I don't think that he is being sort after that keenly, bear in mid he wasn't snaffled up in the January window when he was scoring and he dried up in the latter part of the season.

Fu Ming wrote: June 16th, 2022, 9:15 am

Indeed regarding Dom.
No news, seems to me that he is either holding out for a better pay rise or hoping that someone will come knocking.
If he had renewed his contract it would of be posted by now.
I would of thought that if a team was interested by now, he would of gone, personally I don't think that he is being sort after that keenly, bear in mid he wasn't snaffled up in the January window when he was scoring and he dried up in the latter part of the season.
Telford is weighing up his options. He undoubtedly has them, including re-signing for Newport County. And that for me is a problem. I don't blame Telford, he is looking out for himself and that is what we all do. But from a Newport County point of view it once again makes an individual bigger than the club. And the long running Flynn saga tells us how that usually ends.

If it were my decision this is what I would have done.

In March I would have made it clear that he is highly regarded and he would be offered a new contract. At the end of the season I would have offered the best contract I could afford. I would have said, that's our final and best offer you have two weeks to think it over. If at the end of two weeks Dom Telford hadn't signed I would withdraw the offer, thank Dom for his hard work and look elsewhere for a striker.

I don't blame Telford any more than I blamed Flynn. But nobody can be bigger than the club.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: June 16th, 2022, 10:40 am I had the impression he had until the 10th June to accept our offer, or we would look elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me though if it's not that cut and dried.
When a contract is running out either party is at liberty to walk away at the end of the contract. Clubs such as Manchester United will often sign a player on a long contract. If they want to keep him they renegotiate with over a year remaining.

The reason I would give two weeks only thinking time is that imagine if an ideal replacement was available and we missed out because we were waiting on Telford. And if Telford at his leisure then says thanks but no thanks, where would that leave us?

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 16th, 2022, 11:21 am For the life of me I can't remember who the player was or even the manager but I can remember one summer when we publicly courted one player long after we should have dropped it and wound up being knocked back. Anyone?
Funnily enough, yes I do but like you I don’t have a name. Got a feeling it was local though

JR stated 22 senior players that means 5 more if I'm correct, 2 players for each position would require 2 left backs, 1 midfield, and 2 forwards, hopefully we don't have 5 loan players again. Williams in midfield would exciting with the youngsters we have. Another Butler would be good, up front haven't a clue but the Wimbledon striker Corie Andrews is still available.

I don't mind five loans but it's crazy to have more and then have to pick the side around only being allowed to name five. If most clubs return to training around the time we do I'd guess they need a while to decide who they want to farm out. Unless this is something the SD has been working on in advance.