Re: Cities

mad norm wrote: May 20th, 2022, 9:40 am I'm sure we are all delighted that Wrexham is to become a city :bounce:
To use a football analogy - as with the proliferation of Uefa tournaments (like how now even Wales has 3 or 4 European places for the WPL) and the expansion of the world cup/Euro's the way city status is being dished out (including how it was to Newport) takes the gloss off the status itself - 'and in many ways we are all winners - which is why we have granted city status to Risca'* - North Wales already has a city in Bangor anyway.

That said in the US and other countries like [say] Japan even very tiny places call themselves 'City of'...perhaps its only us Brits who get worked up about it?

*nowt wrong with Risca but a city it ain't

Good Evening

I think it would be a good idea, with so many new cities that now and then existing cities lose that status if they are naughty. If they don’t behave in the fitting manner of a city then the title is taken away. For instance, bad planning decisions or high murder rates/criminality etc.

Who would you take city status away from?

Phil in Northampton

Confusingly there are now 2 Bangor's in the UK - could be a long and expensive taxi ride for someone if their driver mixes it up - 'Bangor - sure mate just you go to sleep in the back' - one ferry ride and a long drive later 'here we are sir Bangor - isn’t it lovely on a day like this...so that'll be £376 please no wait there’s the ferry on top so let’s call it £450 - cash only I'm afraid as my card machine has broken!'…unlikely but in fairness some away fans in our ‘AFC’ days went to Hinkley point for an away game (wrong Hinckley a fair way away from the actual one sadly no 'senior' non league team in the town anymore)

CathedralCounty wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:51 am Confusingly there are now 2 Bangor's in the UK - could be a long and expensive taxi ride for someone if their driver mixes it up - 'Bangor - sure mate just you go to sleep in the back' - one ferry ride and a long drive later 'here we are sir Bangor - isn’t it lovely on a day like this...so that'll be £376 please no wait there’s the ferry on top so let’s call it £450 - cash only I'm afraid as my card machine has broken!'…unlikely but in fairness some away fans in our ‘AFC’ days went to Hinkley point for an away game (wrong Hinckley a fair way away from the actual one sadly no 'senior' non league team in the town anymore)
Some friends of mine live in a tiny village in Cambridgeshire called Chippenham. One day a lorry driver asked for directions to an address in Chippenham Wiltshire. I am sure Newport Shropshire; Gillingham Dorset; St Ives Cambridgeshire or Cornwall,
etc have all led to similarly sad/funny mix ups.