From Protestant Pope to Hate Preacher

About 40 years ago Billy Graham filled football stadia up and down the country. In the main the media applauded him and what he was preaching. He was almost the protestant pope. He was backed up by local lad Cliff Richard. Now, just one generation later, his son Franklin has only been allowed to preach in 4 much smaller venues, including the ICC Newport tomorrow. His message is the same as that of his father, but he is being branded as a hate preacher. Even our first minister spoke out against him.

In the last 40 years the bible hasn't changed, but society has changed massively.

The message of both Grahams is that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven, and sin is sin, but our acceptance of our Jesus Christ means that our sins are forgiven, whatever they may be.

Re: From Protestant Pope to Hate Preacher

Blackandamber wrote: May 20th, 2022, 9:49 am About 40 years ago Billy Graham filled football stadia up and down the country. In the main the media applauded him and what he was preaching. He was almost the protestant pope. He was backed up by local lad Cliff Richard. Now, just one generation later, his son Franklin has only been allowed to preach in 4 much smaller venues, including the ICC Newport tomorrow. His message is the same as that of his father, but he is being branded as a hate preacher. Even our first minister spoke out against him.

In the last 40 years the bible hasn't changed, but society has changed massively.

The message of both Grahams is that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven, and sin is sin, but our acceptance of our Jesus Christ means that our sins are forgiven, whatever they may be.
Could I suggest you read 'The heart of the matter' a novel by Graham Greene. The question posed and the answers given are these.

Your husband has committed a mortal sin. He has died without the forgiveness of Christ. What will happen to him?
He will burn in Hell for eternity.
Can there be no forgiveness now that his earthly life is over?
No.
Would you forgive him if it were in your power to do so?
Yes.
Don't you think you are being arrogant?
How am I being arrogant?
You are claiming to be more merciful and compassionate than God?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:33 am
Blackandamber wrote: May 20th, 2022, 9:49 am About 40 years ago Billy Graham filled football stadia up and down the country. In the main the media applauded him and what he was preaching. He was almost the protestant pope. He was backed up by local lad Cliff Richard. Now, just one generation later, his son Franklin has only been allowed to preach in 4 much smaller venues, including the ICC Newport tomorrow. His message is the same as that of his father, but he is being branded as a hate preacher. Even our first minister spoke out against him.

Could I suggest you read 'The heart of the matter' a novel by Graham Greene. The question posed and the answers given are these.

Your husband has committed a mortal sin. He has died without the forgiveness of Christ. What will happen to him?
He will burn in Hell for eternity.
Can there be no forgiveness now that his earthly life is over?
No.
Would you forgive him if it were in your power to do so?
Yes.
Don't you think you are being arrogant?
How am I being arrogant?
You are claiming to be more merciful and compassionate than God?
The message of the Bible is of a loving and just God offering forgiveness to all of His creation. As with a human legal system, each person must pay the penalty for their crime. It's like a man being sentenced to death for murder, but before the sentence can be carried out an innocent person takes his place and is executed in his place. In the Bible the innocent person is God's son Jesus Christ. God sent his son to die on our behalf. However if we still thumb our nose to God and reject His offer of forgiveness , then the punishment will still fall on us. If you reject God in this life, then why would you want to spent eternity with God in the next life.

Blackandamber wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 2:56 pm
excessbee wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 11:59 am As I understand it, he's had to tone down his content to be allowed to conduct this tour. I think that says it all.
Yes I think it says it all. It's no longer acceptable to proclaim the bible in the UK.
In fairness I agree with you on that. It is a very dangerous road we go down, when we silence people because they say things we dislike, disagree with or even find offensive. To make my position clear hate speech should be illegal as in, let's kill homosexuals. But even though I disagree with the following sentiment for someone to say I believe in the Bible's teachings and therefore I believe homosexuality to be wrong, in my view freedom of expression.

Having said that I believe the late Desmond Tutu got that right. His view was that he would see what Jesus had to say on the subject of homosexuality. The good Bishop said that as Jesus was silent on the matter, he thought Jesus probably didn't think it a sin.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 8:31 pm
excessbee wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 11:59 am As I understand it, he's had to tone down his content to be allowed to conduct this tour. I think that says it all.
Yes I think it says it all. It's no longer acceptable to proclaim the bible in the UK.
In fairness I agree with you on that. It is a very dangerous road we go down, when we silence people because they say things we dislike, disagree with or even find offensive. To make my position clear hate speech should be illegal as in, let's kill homosexuals. But even though I disagree with the following sentiment for someone to say I believe in the Bible's teachings and therefore I believe homosexuality to be wrong, in my view freedom of expression.

Having said that I believe the late Desmond Tutu got that right. His view was that he would see what Jesus had to say on the subject of homosexuality. The good Bishop said that as Jesus was silent on the matter, he thought Jesus probably didn't think it a sin.
Just to make it clear, the Bible is very clear that Christ's followers are instructed to love all people. For example Jesus said that adultery is a sin, but we must still love and forgive adulterers. We even have to love Wrexham supporters!

Exile 1976 wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 11:12 am Nah, he's a homophobic *******.
I have certain religious beliefs but am not personally fussed about people’s sexuality (100’s of other things to worry about in the context of religion & society) - he and others on the 'Evangelical right' would I hope take a line of 'hate the sin not the sinner' - nobody should be made to suffer for their sexuality under the guise of religion BUT people should have the right to object to their lifestyle as that is what rubbing along together in a free society is all about – a very fine and nuanced balance isn’t it?

Blackandamber wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:24 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 8:31 pm

Just to make it clear, the Bible is very clear that Christ's followers are instructed to love all people. For example Jesus said that adultery is a sin, but we must still love and forgive adulterers. We even have to love Wrexham supporters!
Indeed to quote Shia Lebouf's character on the excellent WWII movie 'Fury' God would forgive [even] Hitler (although that does not mean he and any other evil doers would nor should escape man's judgment/justice on earth)