Re: Hidden world of football

lowandhard wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:19 pm There are some referees over the years I’ve had some real doubts about - whether it was their honesty, eyesight or competence it’s difficult to say but I’ve seen some absolute stinkers.
Have you seen anything in your days refin Mike that looked out of place shall we say?

I've on welsh league had some strange ones I've been on the line and heard spectators saying the result would be 2-1 in a game because they'd heard loads of stuff on line it ended up 2-1 I spoke to the ref half time in fairness he called the faw integraty officer I was asked for a statement on the Monday never heard anything since.

About 7-8 years ago I was told that Haverfordwest would win a game 5 nil to stay up they did I heard lots made loads out of the result.

Then there was port Talbot few years back players not paid load of them where caught putting money on result John Hartsons sister was caught up in it as well

Don't think she was charged mind

Re: Hidden world of football

UPTHEPORT wrote: May 20th, 2022, 6:11 pm
lowandhard wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:19 pm There are some referees over the years I’ve had some real doubts about - whether it was their honesty, eyesight or competence it’s difficult to say but I’ve seen some absolute stinkers.
Have you seen anything in your days refin Mike that looked out of place shall we say?

I've on welsh league had some strange ones I've been on the line and heard spectators saying the result would be 2-1 in a game because they'd heard loads of stuff on line it ended up 2-1 I spoke to the ref half time in fairness he called the faw integraty officer I was asked for a statement on the Monday never heard anything since.

About 7-8 years ago I was told that Haverfordwest would win a game 5 nil to stay up they did I heard lots made loads out of the result.

Then there was port Talbot few years back players not paid load of them where caught putting money on result John Hartsons sister was caught up in it as well

Don't think she was charged mind
I’m forty years out of the “ thick of it “ now mate so wouldn’t know but the sort of result you mention do rather make you wonder. There was a certain referee we had a few times at Somerton who so incensed the fans that as a boy, I saw grown men willing to get on the pitch and do him harm. I can’t remember it well but in one incident I believe a referee was smuggled out of the ground.
The major scandal when I was young was the infamous match-fixing episode in the sixties when I believe 10 players were gaoled. Of course bungs etc for transfers are commonplace - allegedly 😂.
At the level I reffed it would have been difficult to influence outcomes because that would assume the players were competent enough to carry out instructions or score from any gifted free kicks and penalties ( be difficult to award too many in one game, wouldn’t it? 😂 ). Mind you I often felt tempted to give them a hand by doing a bit of finishing for them, there were a few incidents where the ball broke for me and I felt like getting on the score sheet! In those days the ref “ wasn’t there “ so the game would have stood. I resisted the temptation but it must have occurred to a few other refs because it was the subject of a tv play “ Another Sunday and sweet FA “.