Rugby ref at RP today.

During the game between the Dragons and Lions the referee frequently marked the pitch by dragging her boot four or five times across the turf. She did this dozens of times all over the pitch when giving a penalty or a scrum etc. This behaviour was unnecessary and damaging to the pitch. She could not have done this at Cardiff where the rugby pitch is plastic.

It would be a good idea to give rugby refs foam spray like football refs have to avoid them scraping the grass off million pound pitches.

Re: Rugby ref at RP today.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:25 am I would have thought that sixteen heavily set men in the first contested scrum, ruck or maul digging their heals into the turf would have caused more damage in ten seconds than a referee making the occasional mark on the pitch.

It's a rugby pitch for f@ck's sake not a silken wedding gown.
A ridiculous comment. The referee was deliberately doing unnecessary damage to the pitch. If it had been a plastic pitch she could not have done it and using a foam spray would mark the pitch better without damaging it and could be used on a plastic pitch as well.

I have not noticed that rugby players themselves have done any damage this season. But she certainly did.

G Guest wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 2:21 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:25 am I would have thought that sixteen heavily set men in the first contested scrum, ruck or maul digging their heals into the turf would have caused more damage in ten seconds than a referee making the occasional mark on the pitch.

It's a rugby pitch for f@ck's sake not a silken wedding gown.
A ridiculous comment. The referee was deliberately doing unnecessary damage to the pitch. If it had been a plastic pitch she could not have done it and using a foam spray would mark the pitch better without damaging it and could be used on a plastic pitch as well.

I have not noticed that rugby players themselves have done any damage this season. But she certainly did.
So a ref has made more damage marking the scrum than the players have in the actual scrums? Wow, fair play.
Most refs mark out the scrum/penalties etc dragging their feet across the turf, that said, a spray would be better.

Watching the PGA from America. The damage being done to the fairways, surely the only way to prevent these wonderful courses from being destroyed is if the golfers only use a putter.

Or you can take the view that grass is organic, it grows, and employed groundstaff repair sporting pitches all the time without a problem.
The spray football referees use is to clearly mark where players stand. Not to save the pitch from wear and tear.

CathedralCounty wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:56 am Its what rugby refs do at scrum time - as someone else said a [as it happens] female referee half the size of the players wasn't the one doing most of the damage!

I suppose in fairness to the twin George's this was probably the first time watching a rugby match that they had spent much time ogling the referees legs. I only hope that potential sponsors of Newport County are not led to believe that all Newport County fans are like this, more interested in fantasies of long legged female authority figures ordering men about rather than watching a game. Disgusting I calls it, not only that but liable to drive sponsors away. :grin:

pembsexile wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:34 am Use a spray I say. A scrum is part of the game and that is not going to alter. Unless they change the rules of course. The ref sliding their foot across the grass is not part of the game. Just get them to use a spray. Simples.
Mike,
It doesn't make any difference. During the course of a game of rugby 30 men in studded boots churn up the surface of the pitch. Whether or not a fereree makes the odd scrape is neither hete nor there. Grass is organic. It grows. If you notice at half time people such as my late friend Gareth go on to the pitch and replace divots.
Now I'm not per se against referees using spray, if they did I suspect the damage to the ozone layer would be minimal. However in football spray is only used for free kicks that pose an immediate threat to the defending team. In rugby the position of the scrum needs to be controlled. So if the innovation you suggest were incorporated there would be a lot more spray used. Which in the schemes of things doesn't matter. But really this is finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:51 am
pembsexile wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:34 am Use a spray I say. A scrum is part of the game and that is not going to alter. Unless they change the rules of course. The ref sliding their foot across the grass is not part of the game. Just get them to use a spray. Simples.
Mike,
It doesn't make any difference. During the course of a game of rugby 30 men in studded boots churn up the surface of the pitch. Whether or not a referee makes the odd scrape is neither hete nor there. Grass is organic. It grows. If you notice at half time people such as my late friend Gareth go on to the pitch and replace divots.
Now I'm not per se against referees using spray, if they did I suspect the damage to the ozone layer would be minimal. However in football spray is only used for free kicks that pose an immediate threat to the defending team. In rugby the position of the scrum needs to be controlled. So if the innovation you suggest were incorporated there would be a lot more spray used. Which in the schemes of things doesn't matter. But really this is finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:51 am
Mike,
It doesn't make any difference. During the course of a game of rugby 30 men in studded boots churn up the surface of the pitch. Whether or not a referee makes the odd scrape is neither hete nor there. Grass is organic. It grows. If you notice at half time people such as my late friend Gareth go on to the pitch and replace divots.

An obvious and sensible idea, that may need serious consideration as shared football/rugby pitches are increasingly common.
It appears to me that the situation was highlighted on this occasion by a very dry pitch which took a few heavy drags of the foot to make a discernable mark, by a referee who probably had no regard to the pitch being used by football.
I don't see what the ref's gender has to do with it.

A sensible and obvious solution. After all pitches used for both football and rugby appears to becoming more common. Believe this particular incident was highlighted by a very dry pitch which required several hard scrapes to make a discernable mark.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:22 am
CathedralCounty wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:56 am Its what rugby refs do at scrum time - as someone else said a [as it happens] female referee half the size of the players wasn't the one doing most of the damage!

I suppose in fairness to the twin George's this was probably the first time watching a rugby match that they had spent much time ogling the referees legs. I only hope that potential sponsors of Newport County are not led to believe that all Newport County fans are like this, more interested in fantasies of long legged female authority figures ordering men about rather than watching a game. Disgusting I calls it, not only that but liable to drive sponsors away. :grin:
I watch a fair bit of rugby and think that particular ref isn't that great [not just because she is female] tries a bit too hard I think and yes does love to scrape for scrums - in fact she lost a boot on Saturday! (maybe loosened due to the dragging)