Jerry Sherman parallel

Great story on the BBC sport website today. I think the programme is on BBC soon. It is about the demise of Bangor City FC. They were taken over by an Italian ‘pop star’. The pop star, the football club and the Mafia link it is called. It is on the BBC sport website. Not an exact copy of what happened to us with JS but bloody hell, it doesn’t half make you think.

The really important point that is made is that Welsh clubs do not have the same system in England to check the validity of an owner. The fit and proper person test. The WFA need to get some checks in place I think.

Re: Jerry Sherman parallel

But the strange thing is the FAW has licensing which includes finances and clubs are regularly denied promotion for the lack of it, and can be relegated if they lose it. So they must have expected to get their licence back!

I haven't read up on this guy but Bangor went into decline before him, around the time a - how to put it? - controversial family from Liverpool was involved. Amazing he wasn't run out of town as Sherman surely would have been even if he'd turned up even 10 years later.

The story even made the main 6.a.m. news on R4 but I wonder if the level of public interest in the club warranted that.

Re: Jerry Sherman parallel

An interesting insight into corruption in football in leagues which are not under close scrutiny.
It was still not clear why Serafino acquired Bangor but the suggestion seems to be that bet fixing would be made easier. Not sure that that is the right answer though.
The list of former LoW clubs who have gone to the wall seems to be quite a long one.
Last edited by G Guest on May 24th, 2022, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.