Re: Pre season friendlies

UPTHEPORT wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:10 pm Are we able to play any at RP this season coming

There not for me but I guess good income if we can get decent opposition
Looking at the other thread showing extensive pitch renovation, I’m more concerned about the early start to the season this year. I really can’t see there being friendlies at RP can you? After all we’re almost in June and the season starts in July!

Percy plunkett wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:22 pm The highlight has to be when 18 trialists,who will never be seen again,don a club shirt to play Undy to help the coffers of Undy with no benefit to NCAFC at all.
I think we should vary the club, but I have no issue with us turning up to a local club in pre-season to help them earn a bit of a payday. In fact, I would say that we have a responsibility to the community to help local football wherever we can. We constantly hear about how the Premier League should be helping clubs in the EFL, we should be doing the same to clubs local to us.

Plenty of clubs higher up than us do so, I know that Bristol City have a community day every season where they play a friendly at a local club.

DT1892 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 6:00 pm
Percy plunkett wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:22 pm The highlight has to be when 18 trialists,who will never be seen again,don a club shirt to play Undy to help the coffers of Undy with no benefit to NCAFC at all.
I think we should vary the club, but I have no issue with us turning up to a local club in pre-season to help them earn a bit of a payday. In fact, I would say that we have a responsibility to the community to help local football wherever we can. We constantly hear about how the Premier League should be helping clubs in the EFL, we should be doing the same to clubs local to us.

Plenty of clubs higher up than us do so, I know that Bristol City have a community day every season where they play a friendly at a local club.
I have no problem with it but,why always Undy,why not Llanwern,Cwmbran Celtic,Rogerstone etc and,at least play squad players and a couple of senior players.We know that none of the so called trialists will ever play for the club,it may as well be me and you turning out in a shirt.

Percy plunkett wrote: May 30th, 2022, 6:24 pm

I have no problem with it but,why always Undy,why not Llanwern,Cwmbran Celtic,Rogerstone etc and,at least play squad players and a couple of senior players.We know that none of the so called trialists will ever play for the club,it may as well be me and you turning out in a shirt.
Disgraceful Percy. Make sure you make your views known at the AGM.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 30th, 2022, 7:04 pm
Percy plunkett wrote: May 30th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Disgraceful Percy. Make sure you make your views known at the AGM.
Edit
And don't forget to send an official letter whilst you're at it. :grin:

G Guest wrote: May 30th, 2022, 8:41 pm Playing Cardiff at Leckwith. But not clear whether this will be open to the public.

www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/football/newportcounty/
I suppose for those of us of a certain age. (Old) We remember a time when the season ended with the FA Cup final. Starved of football for the best part of three months, the chance to see the two or three summer signings and perhaps a few stars if we could attract a top side meant that pre season friendlies had some meaning.

That's changed and for fans at least pre season games are of little interest.

I hadn't noticed that this news had already been posted on this thread. Sorry to repeat something that is already known.
I do find it a bit puzzling though. Two 60 minute halves. Not unusual in practice matches behind closed doors with a lot of players involved. But unusual, I think , for an evening match which does appear to be open to the public. At one time playing Cardiff in such circumstances would have worried me concerning crowd control but perhaps it is OK nowadays.