Re: Wrecsaphobia

I’m going to play devil’s advocate with regard to my opinion on Wrexham. I know some eminently reasonable people who, whilst having balanced opinions about most things in life, absolutely detest Wrexham. I know they’ve experienced poor treatment at the hands of Wrexham ‘fans’ and are rightly irritated by the undoubted media bias towards the club. However, if I’m going to be objective, when I was at the FA Cup tie at Wrexham a few years back I saw a big ground, fitting of league football, and partisan, if unpleasant, fans who created an intimidating atmosphere. Isn’t that what Rodney Parade is all about: creating a partisan atmosphere that provides an advantage to the home team? Wrexham’s crowds have been up around the 10k mark recently and they have a reasonably small catchment area to call on, so it could be argued that they would enhance the EFL to a greater extent than some of the clubs currently in the 92. (I don’t necessarily subscribe to this view, as all clubs, with the exception of MK Dons, have earned their place in the EFL). I remember the cup and league exploits of the Wrexham teams of the 70s and I wanted them to do well then. I think the return of the 4th Welsh club to the football league would be good for Welsh football. I’m looking forward to seeing them alongside us, back where they belong.

It's pretty funny watching them struggle to get promoted.

I put on Facebook yesterday, that since they last played in the football league, there have been 4 different US presidents.

I just hope someone like York spends big next season, and they are forced into the play-offs again.

lowandhard wrote: May 28th, 2022, 11:50 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: May 28th, 2022, 8:50 pm No “phobia” just exasperation & exhaustion it took us 20 odd years and a cup run to get BBC Wales or s4c to as much as spit our name and that was when we were a football league team!

They’ll win the national league next season anyway…
Yes it is exasperating I agree. It’s a tough league to get out of, there’ll be somebody else willing to splash the cash, just hope those Filmstars with more money than sense get fed up with soccerball and take up baseball.
in relative terms football [Soccer] is cheap some baseball pro's get more in year than Wrexham's whole budget!

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:35 am I’m going to play devil’s advocate with regard to my opinion on Wrexham. I know some eminently reasonable people who, whilst having balanced opinions about most things in life, absolutely detest Wrexham. I know they’ve experienced poor treatment at the hands of Wrexham ‘fans’ and are rightly irritated by the undoubted media bias towards the club. However, if I’m going to be objective, when I was at the FA Cup tie at Wrexham a few years back I saw a big ground, fitting of league football, and partisan, if unpleasant, fans who created an intimidating atmosphere. Isn’t that what Rodney Parade is all about: creating a partisan atmosphere that provides an advantage to the home team? Wrexham’s crowds have been up around the 10k mark recently and they have a reasonably small catchment area to call on, so it could be argued that they would enhance the EFL to a greater extent than some of the clubs currently in the 92. (I don’t necessarily subscribe to this view, as all clubs, with the exception of MK Dons, have earned their place in the EFL). I remember the cup and league exploits of the Wrexham teams of the 70s and I wanted them to do well then. I think the return of the 4th Welsh club to the football league would be good for Welsh football. I’m looking forward to seeing them alongside us, back where they belong.
They have a huge catchment area: anyone in North Wales who couldn't bare to support an English club.

neilcork68 wrote: May 31st, 2022, 8:49 pm Not a good last few weeks for the new city of Wrexham

The football club

Lost the FA Trophy Final

Missed out on promotion

and tonight

the City
Missed out on the City of Culture
on the last one I actually feel genuinely sorry for them! all those out of work actors and 'arts coordinators' in North Wales will be gutted too!

Big love in just now in ITV Wales news about Wrexham not getting promoted and losing the City of Culture status in 2025. You have to ask would we have had the same coverage if it was us. In my opinion it is all about positive discrimination in that the media luvvies have to prove that they do broadcast stories on the Gogledd.

pembsexile wrote: June 1st, 2022, 6:19 pm Big love in just now in ITV Wales news about Wrexham not getting promoted and losing the City of Culture status in 2025. You have to ask would we have had the same coverage if it was us. In my opinion it is all about positive discrimination in that the media luvvies have to prove that they do broadcast stories on the Gogledd.
😂 the contrast with their coverage of all things Newport ( unless it’s derogatory of course ) couldn’t be more stark. Nobody loves us we don’t care.