Re: Wales v Ukraine

What a fantastic achievement by 'little old Wales'. A day I admit I thought I would never see. Can't help but to reflect back to those not too distant days when Wales played in front of a few thousand supporters, with half the players representing us at that time mumbling incoherently along to the Athemn a la John Redwood, and even the crowd unable to make a barely discernable rendition. But what a transformation in recent years. What an atmosphere.
How poignant indeed is the chorus to 'yma o hyd' to the current situation.

llanwern exile wrote: June 6th, 2022, 12:53 pm Great effort by wales right through the group stage and the play off games led all the way by robbie page, so its now time to bin this caretaker managers job bin the woman beater and give the job to robbie on a full time contract.
Christ I'd forgotten he was still only caretaker manager it seems ages ago.
Couldn't agree more Llanwern

When the euphoria has died down and the players are back in training tomorrow (I'm guessing they have a day off today, Monday) I hope Page makes the very important point that if members of the squad want to go to Qatar then they need to be playing regular football. And if that means some of the players going out on loan, or players such as Bale and Ramsay playing for less money in the Championship for a year then so be it. We need all to be fit and firing.

wattsville_boy wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:16 pm When the euphoria has died down and the players are back in training tomorrow (I'm guessing they have a day off today, Monday) I hope Page makes the very important point that if members of the squad want to go to Qatar then they need to be playing regular football. And if that means some of the players going out on loan, or players such as Bale and Ramsay playing for less money in the Championship for a year then so be it. We need all to be fit and firing.
Bale and Ramsay to the County, that’ll toughen ‘em up!

lowandhard wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:33 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:16 pm When the euphoria has died down and the players are back in training tomorrow (I'm guessing they have a day off today, Monday) I hope Page makes the very important point that if members of the squad want to go to Qatar then they need to be playing regular football. And if that means some of the players going out on loan, or players such as Bale and Ramsay playing for less money in the Championship for a year then so be it. We need all to be fit and firing.
To be honest Johnny Williams and Chris Gunter played in League 1 last season and still got in the Wales squads. Class is permanent, form is temporary.

wattsville_boy wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:54 pm
lowandhard wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:33 pm
To be honest Johnny Williams and Chris Gunter played in League 1 last season and still got in the Wales squads. Class is permanent, form is temporary.
Johnny Williams played for Swindon in League 2 last season

Many congratulations to Wales for reaching the World Cup Finals, for only the second time ever. This time they did it through a proper qualification process. In 1958 they only qualified because other countries refused to play Israel.

To achieve this with only 4 players starting regularly at the highest level is truly amazing, with the so-called star players Bale and Ramsey playing very little football for their clubs this season, and Allen now playing in the championship. Of the 4 players at the top level, Ampadu's club Venezia finished bottom of Serie A, Roberts was relegated with Burnley, and James only just escaped relegation with Leeds. Only Ben Davies played for a club at the top end of the table.