Walsall taken over by Alabama-based investment fund

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61705832

Obviously we’ve moved on from MF but still an important development in terms of competition in L2 next year. They were apparently in discussions 12 months ago so have to assume MF was made aware of this when he interviewed for the job (maybe better explains him making the sideways move).

Interesting comparisons to make with us in terms of their stated aim of buying the freehold, but also Walsall having made a profit for years. Arguably they didn’t need this takeover, as a relatively healthy club. New owners won’t come without new debts, bit of a gamble. They definitely seem like an investment group seeking to make a return on the football business rather than wanting to own a trophy asset.

Re: Walsall taken over by Alabama-based investment fund

Trivela is incorporated in Georgia not Alabama, although Lance J Wilkerson who is described as the "organizer" operates out of Alabama.

Presumably they paid the previous owner a few bob for his shares but how much is not public. Quite why an American investment fund ( which is only about one year old BTW) would want to buy a L2 football club which makes only £13k a year profit and needs investment I can't imagine. I don't see the desire to buy the freehold of the stadium as a positive point. If I was a Walsall fan I would be concerned.

G Guest wrote: June 6th, 2022, 4:09 pm Trivela is incorporated in Georgia not Alabama, although Lance J Wilkerson who is described as the "organizer" operates out of Alabama.

Presumably they paid the previous owner a few bob for his shares but how much is not public. Quite why an American investment fund ( which is only about one year old BTW) would want to buy a L2 football club which makes only £13k a year profit and needs investment I can't imagine. I don't see the desire to buy the freehold of the stadium as a positive point. If I was a Walsall fan I would be concerned.
Thanks for the clarification, hadn’t realised that. There are alarmingly few public records of Wilkerson. It seems he is the Amanda Staveley of the setup, to be a JV by Polk and Boycott

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:21 am I've never been there, only the old ground, but note the stadium is on a site an attractive distance from the M6.
Got its own station which serves it and industrial area around it - Also think Walsall has a few nice galleries and is trying to re brand itself - probably a nice enough place and do feel Walsall FC have a lot of potential - think they should be a solid league 1 club lots of potential supporters in what is a big catchment.

As for the 'investment' sad to say it may not end well...US investors have sent Burnley down and seen a decline [albeit from a very high start point] of Man Utd - US investors in my view and in the main simply do not understand 'soccer' in a UK and in particular regional/lower league context with perhaps the exception, dare I say it, of 'our friends in the North'.

Exile 1976 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:34 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 7th, 2022, 10:37 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:44 am At least it doesn't look quite as dodgy as Crawley's US backing.
I agree. Nor anywhere near as dodgy as Interbet for that matter. 😁
Still at least with those chancers they only disgraced our shirt.

Why was Interbet dodgy? They paid us and the company is still trading..
Interbet South Africa are still trading. I can't find the interbet who 'sponsored' us. More than happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:07 pm
George Street-Bridge wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:44 am At least it doesn't look quite as dodgy as Crawley's US backing.

Interbet South Africa are still trading. I can't find the interbet who 'sponsored' us. More than happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

https://www.interbet.com/#/lobby

Pretty sure they’re still about. This be them isn’t it?

Exile 1976 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:42 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:07 pm

https://www.interbet.com/#/lobby

Pretty sure they’re still about. This be them isn’t it?
It would appear to be so.

I noticed it is registered in Malta. It gives a registration number which it says is the with the British Gambling Commission . When I checked the link and registration number I was put me through to another betting company registered this time in Cyprus.

Whether a gambling company in the UK which is operating out of Malta and/or Cyprus using the same name of another gambling company registered in South Africa is dodgy or not is I suppose a matter of opinion.