Rainbow Wales away jersey?

I’ve spoken about my feelings on the hypocrisy around virtue signalling and browbeating football fans on matters “woke” BUT equally I strongly feel that the Qatar regime is questionable at best - now is time for the Welsh FA to front up and work with Adidas to produce a rainbow away jersey fir the World Cup and pledge to wear it at least once in the tournament now that’s a real “protest”

Re: Rainbow Wales away jersey?

Mrp wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:46 pm Leave politics out of it terrible idea first time in 64 years put on that red Welsh jersey FFS an wear it every game
Politics is already “in” it and Wales won’t wear the red home jerseys in every game regardless as Adidas will insist on them wearing the alternate jerseys for 1 of the games so why not a rainbow one?

If the football authorities in Wales truly care about the values they so loudly & readily espouse then they have to show it - LGBT fans are already saying they won’t go to Qatar, we need a subtle or indeed not so subtle two fingers up to fifa & Qatar-a protest is only a protest if it’s against the rules and it’d be well worth a £50k fine

Yeah I’d be all for it. They bribed their way to winning the host status, the least we can do is stick it to them. Plus it directly confronts their pretty horrible policies. That said, I can appreciate there may be legitimate barriers (E.g. resources, kit agreements) that prevent a change of kit

I like the gesture and sentiment behind your thinking but it would have to be the most irresponsible action ever taken in the history of player and fan safety if any team ever thought seriously about doing this.

You’d be exposing the players wearing that sort of shirt to a dangerous backlash from home fans and endangering any player or supporter wearing it around town, in their hotels etc.

Football and politics ought to be separate and never coming together but I guess that’s also a naive opinion nowadays.
Whether we like it or not (and I vehemently disagree with it) they have certain views and laws in their country which their population seemingly largely support. But these same views and laws (except for the nature of punishment for ‘commuting those crimes’, and I wish I didn’t have to type that) existed in our own country only a few decades ago.

We need to educate countries like theirs rather than
ramming our more liberal views down their throats. That education will come with time and as their generations learn to live with Western views.

CathedralCounty wrote: June 6th, 2022, 6:39 pm I’ve spoken about my feelings on the hypocrisy around virtue signalling and browbeating football fans on matters “woke” BUT equally I strongly feel that the Qatar regime is questionable at best - now is time for the Welsh FA to front up and work with Adidas to produce a rainbow away jersey fir the World Cup and pledge to wear it at least once in the tournament now that’s a real “protest”

Brilliant! Thank you!

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:55 pm I like the gesture and sentiment behind your thinking but it would have to be the most irresponsible action ever taken in the history of player and fan safety if any team ever thought seriously about doing this.

You’d be exposing the players wearing that sort of shirt to a dangerous backlash from home fans and endangering any player or supporter wearing it around town, in their hotels etc.

Football and politics ought to be separate and never coming together but I guess that’s also a naive opinion nowadays.
Whether we like it or not (and I vehemently disagree with it) they have certain views and laws in their country which their population seemingly largely support. But these same views and laws (except for the nature of punishment for ‘commuting those crimes’, and I wish I didn’t have to type that) existed in our own country only a few decades ago.

ramming our more liberal views down their throats. That education will come with time and as their generations learn to live with Western views.
I agree.

Shameful that Qatar was given the World Cup. That is the real evil.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 6th, 2022, 9:36 pm
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:55 pm I like the gesture and sentiment behind your thinking but it would have to be the most irresponsible action ever taken in the history of player and fan safety if any team ever thought seriously about doing this.

I agree.

wow, we agree on something. Have you red 'The dirty game? it's a fascinating read.

jonescmj1 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:30 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 6th, 2022, 9:36 pm

wow, we agree on something. Have you red 'The dirty game? it's a fascinating read.
No I haven't read The Dirty game. I shall endevour to do so. I was less than a year old the last time Wales qualified for a World Cup. And for the second time in my life I won't be watching the Welsh games or anybody else's for that matter. I won't be judgemental on those who do, but the human rights record of Qatar is such that I can't bring myself towatch it.

landinho wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:44 pm Yeah I’d be all for it. They bribed their way to winning the host status, the least we can do is stick it to them. Plus it directly confronts their pretty horrible policies. That said, I can appreciate there may be legitimate barriers (E.g. resources, kit agreements) that prevent a change of kit
Fifa kit regulations preventing the wearing of more than 4 colours on a shirt for a start. Plus the need to have a light shirt and a dark shirt.

I'm sort of contradicting myself here in that I agree with most of what you said (not the danger bit as I think the Qatari authorities will go very softly softly) BUT if football wants to prove it’s not just doing mealy mouthed woke washing gesture politics (which I believe in most cases it is and to the wrong audience as its not the vast majority of [in this case] Wales fans/football fans in general who have an issue with LGBT in fact Wales has a very diverse fan base) then they need to take direct action which YES will have some consequences, a fine, booing, being kicked out of the tournament?

The rainbow jersey is just a thought and the rainbow in the context of this world cup symbolic not only of LGBT issues but against all that Qatar stands for and pricking the hypocritical pomposity of FIFA as well.

As for ‘certain views and laws in their country which their population seemingly largely support’ they are entitled to them and I’d support them as vehemently as any (I totally disagree with ‘cultural/moral colonialism’) but they should not in the context of a world sporting competition with players, fans and officials of various, races, religions (don’t forget Christians are not exactly welcomed there), sexualities, etc have ever been awarded this world cup – too late to cry about that but not too late for a genuinely risky and therefore truly meaningful protest. My view and likely a very naïve one.

I have never really been convinced by the ‘keep politics out of sport’ argument. It has its merits but it is not absolute. Politics is in everyday life, we can’t escape it. We don’t say, ‘let’s keep politics out of music’, or, ‘let’s keep politics out of literature’. Why is sport different? It worked (boycotting) for South Africa, pre Mandela.

That said, I have no doubt of peoples sincere dislike of FIFA awarding the WC to Qatar. Some gay people (groups) have said they won’t attend, they feel excluded. I like the idea of a rainbow shirt. However, as already highlighted, FIFA and the sports sponsors would never allow it. Money rules.

There is another way. I see a business opportunity. Without infringing any copyright rules, I am sure that there would be a market for a ‘Welsh type’ World Cup football jersey in the rainbow colours. I’m not a businessman so would not know where on earth to start. However, if one was available at reasonable cost, I would buy one. Cmon Wales.