Re: Rainbow Wales away jersey?

It seems that Mark Drakeford has double standards with regards to this issue. He condemned the visit of Franklin Graham to Wales, saying he would ban him preaching at the ICC if he had the power to do so. However he is quite happy to allow the Wales football team to play in Qatar.

Is the regime in Qatar or the preacher Franklin Graham doing more harm to human rights?

As a foot note, I went with my family to hear Franklin Graham preach. As far as I was concerned the evening was an overwhelming success, apart from the band calling themselves the News Boys (ear plugs were provided!). My 71 year old sister decided to become a Christian at the end of the event.

I’m sure the finals will throw up the dreadful nature of Qatari regime and the Labour conditions of those building the stadia. I also expect it’ll expose their hypocrisy over alcohol and possibly other moral issues. What I think it will not do, is sanitise the values of that country. What the World Cup will do is raise the profile of Wales football in the world and at home and I’m glad of that.
Re evangelists, I saw Billy Graham preach at Earls Court when I was a young man, I didn’t book my ticket so I’m still the heathen I always was! 😂

Blackandamber wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:29 am It seems that Mark Drakeford has double standards with regards to this issue. He condemned the visit of Franklin Graham to Wales, saying he would ban him preaching at the ICC if he had the power to do so. However he is quite happy to allow the Wales football team to play in Qatar.

Is the regime in Qatar or the preacher Franklin Graham doing more harm to human rights?

As a foot note, I went with my family to hear Franklin Graham preach. As far as I was concerned the evening was an overwhelming success, apart from the band calling themselves the News Boys (ear plugs were provided!). My 71 year old sister decided to become a Christian at the end of the event.
ALL politicians are hypocritical! those on the left [of which I am broadly a part, I'm definitely no Tory!] seem very keen to bash those on the right for perceived transgressions and yet faff about with poor excuses for their own. Drakey was on the news last night about the ‘Qatar issue’ – like most politicians he’ll go for the easy targets but hasn’t the bottle to stand up for real principles – perhaps understandably given Wales needs Qatari investment.

As for the band the 'news boys' are a well know Christian rock band - better ones out there no doubt but a fairly solid worship band I believe?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:47 am I thought shirts with an underlying political message were not permitted under FIFA rules. Didn’t they even object to the poppy?
They’re not, you are right. I wasn’t talking about an ‘official’ shirt. I was suggesting that an astute businessperson could design, manufacture and sell a ‘Wales type’ rainbow WC football shirt. I think it would sell. I would buy one.

pembsexile wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:07 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:47 am I thought shirts with an underlying political message were not permitted under FIFA rules. Didn’t they even object to the poppy?
They’re not, you are right. I wasn’t talking about an ‘official’ shirt. I was suggesting that an astute businessperson could design, manufacture and sell a ‘Wales type’ rainbow WC football shirt. I think it would sell. I would buy one.
Even an 'offcial' shirt could be said to be a 'snazzy design'...'any resemblance to the LGBTQ flag is purely coincidental and the design was chosen to reflect the historical colours of Wales kits through the ages as well as the beautiful colours of Wales' coast and countryside'

lowandhard wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:50 am I’m sure the finals will throw up the dreadful nature of Qatari regime and the Labour conditions of those building the stadia. I also expect it’ll expose their hypocrisy over alcohol and possibly other moral issues. What I think it will not do, is sanitise the values of that country. What the World Cup will do is raise the profile of Wales football in the world and at home and I’m glad of that.
Re evangelists, I saw Billy Graham preach at Earls Court when I was a young man, I didn’t book my ticket so I’m still the heathen I always was! 😂
Talking of Billy Graham, didn’t he do a stint at RP in the 60’s?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:11 pm
lowandhard wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:50 am I’m sure the finals will throw up the dreadful nature of Qatari regime and the Labour conditions of those building the stadia. I also expect it’ll expose their hypocrisy over alcohol and possibly other moral issues. What I think it will not do, is sanitise the values of that country. What the World Cup will do is raise the profile of Wales football in the world and at home and I’m glad of that.
He definitely did Ninian Park in the 80's.

Blackandamber wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:29 am It seems that Mark Drakeford has double standards with regards to this issue. He condemned the visit of Franklin Graham to Wales, saying he would ban him preaching at the ICC if he had the power to do so. However he is quite happy to allow the Wales football team to play in Qatar.

In fairness to Drakeford there is nothing he can do about Wales going to Qatar. Any more than he can prevent Franklin Graham entering Wales.

Where I do agree with you is about freedom of speech. If you disagree with someone you say so and you say why.

This article is worth a read. It seems that players from Wales will be invited to engage in a dialogue with other teams about how to highlight Qatar's poor record on human rights. Relevant excerpt here:
Wales’ players are to be canvassed over their views relating to issues surrounding the Qatar World Cup. The move comes as England skipper Harry Kane aims to hold talks with other national team captains so they can be “unified” in their approach to Qatar’s stance on gay rights and its treatment of migrant workers...

Noel Mooney added that they had liaised with UEFA “for quite a while” even before Wales qualified. “They’ve taken on the mantle as our European confederation, liaising directly with the Qatar Supreme Council, which is organising the World Cup with the Qatari Government. UEFA put together a working group, and we’ve joined it, to pool concerns, raise issues, have ground visits. To see the issues behind the scenes and the laws of the country... How we’re going to communicate with Qatar and the world, but working very much with UEFA as the European body to communicate and liaise.”
Good to read, and more power to their elbow.

Stow Hill Sid wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:30 pm
He definitely did Ninian Park in the 80's.
I'm pretty sure he went to Ashton Gate not NP. On the Billy Graham website it said it was their first visit to Wales. The News Boys band though Newport was in England though.

CathedralCounty wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:06 pm

ALL politicians are hypocritical! those on the left [of which I am broadly a part, I'm definitely no Tory!] seem very keen to bash those on the right for perceived transgressions and yet faff about with poor excuses for their own. Drakey was on the news last night about the ‘Qatar issue’ – like most politicians he’ll go for the easy targets but hasn’t the bottle to stand up for real principles – perhaps understandably given Wales needs Qatari investment.

As for the band the 'news boys' are a well know Christian rock band - better ones out there no doubt but a fairly solid worship band I believe?
I must admit that as a senior citizen I've never heard of them. Even with ear plugs I had to leave the auditorium a few times as it was too loud for me, and I sit behind the drummer at Rodney Parade :lol: .

Don’t know mate but I remember Earls Court was packed. My mate (in University there at the time) and I were out for a drink as we were on many a night and suggested we had a look to see what the fuss was all about. He was a very persuasive speaker and got quite a few scalps that night iirc. We were however not convinced and ended the evening seduced by my usual hostelry off the Kings Road in Chelsea, instead.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 6th, 2022, 11:36 pm
jonescmj1 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:30 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 6th, 2022, 9:36 pm

Shameful that Qatar was given the World Cup. That is the real evil.
wow, we agree on something. Have you red 'The dirty game? it's a fascinating read.
No I haven't read The Dirty game. I shall endevour to do so. I was less than a year old the last time Wales qualified for a World Cup. And for the second time in my life I won't be watching the Welsh games or anybody else's for that matter. I won't be judgemental on those who do, but the human rights record of Qatar is such that I can't bring myself towatch it.
You'll be horrified by the corrupt ion, I read it in one sitting!

jonescmj1 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 10:05 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 6th, 2022, 11:36 pm
jonescmj1 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:30 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 6th, 2022, 9:36 pm

Shameful that Qatar was given the World Cup. That is the real evil.
wow, we agree on something. Have you red 'The dirty game? it's a fascinating read.
No I haven't read The Dirty game. I shall endevour to do so. I was less than a year old the last time Wales qualified for a World Cup. And for the second time in my life I won't be watching the Welsh games or anybody else's for that matter. I won't be judgemental on those who do, but the human rights record of Qatar is such that I can't bring myself towatch it.
You'll be horrified by the corrupt ion, I read it in one sitting!
Colin,

When I was in practise 75% of my work was asylum. I know what theocracy regimes are capable of. There are countries in this world who imprison women who have been raped on the basis that they have committed adultery. Who have the death penalty for apostasy. It's true that gay men are sometimes jailed. Sometimes so called policemen just beat them to death. Knowing that they will never be accountable.

All that horrifies me. The corruption exists the world over. I can cope with mere corruption.