Re: Our own ground?

The last line was interesting. I have no problem with those who wish to believe that the Newport County of today is a different club from the one I started watching in the mid 60s. However for me they are the same club.
In the scheme of things I doubt it causes many of us to lose sleep. It would be interesting to see how many people think it's one club and how many think it's two.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:44 pm The last line was interesting. I have no problem with those who wish to believe that the Newport County of today is a different club from the one I started watching in the mid 60s. However for me they are the same club.
In the scheme of things I doubt it causes many of us to lose sleep. It would be interesting to see how many people think it's one club and how many think it's two.

I'm with you, same club

Good Morning

I do consider it the same football club, however at first, through ignorance, I didn’t.
The club I had started supporting in the early seventies had disappeared. Before the internet and being some way from Newport I had no idea of the re-birth. Only some years later did I gain the knowledge of the clubs steady rise up the non league system.
A chance meeting with a sales rep, visiting my work who supported the County and the spark was re-ignited. A decision to take my son to the first match of a Conference South season at Bishops Stortford and I was back under the influence. It seemed to me then that this was the same club, the football team that represents the town of Newport. I didn’t know of one single other Newport County supporter.
The internet had by now arrived and match days in the “Grandstand “ were great fun with a jovial worldwide community to share the experience with. I have since made many good friends who share the passion for a lowly football team and I couldn’t dream of following a more glamorous team.
I’m proud to drive the only car in Northampton with a Newport County car sticker!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:09 am Good Morning

I do consider it the same football club, however at first, through ignorance, I didn’t.
The club I had started supporting in the early seventies had disappeared. Before the internet and being some way from Newport I had no idea of the re-birth. Only some years later did I gain the knowledge of the clubs steady rise up the non league system.
A chance meeting with a sales rep, visiting my work who supported the County and the spark was re-ignited. A decision to take my son to the first match of a Conference South season at Bishops Stortford and I was back under the influence. It seemed to me then that this was the same club, the football team that represents the town of Newport. I didn’t know of one single other Newport County supporter.
The internet had by now arrived and match days in the “Grandstand “ were great fun with a jovial worldwide community to share the experience with. I have since made many good friends who share the passion for a lowly football team and I couldn’t dream of following a more glamorous team.
I’m proud to drive the only car in Northampton with a Newport County car sticker!

Phil in Northampton
Hi Phil, I suspect your experience of not knowing a single Newport County fan is not unique. At various points in the County’s history it was possible to live in Newport and not know another County fan.

For me as I said it's not a question which has a definitive answer. For those of us who think it's one club it is one club, for those who think it's two, it is two.
Here's my slightly odd reason for thinking it's just one. If you go on Youtube you will find black and white grainy film of Newport County playing some works team in the FA Cup in the autumn of 1938. Every player on the pitch that day is dead. Of the crowd shots of smiling excited faces even the youngest child will be well into their 90s but the overwhelming majority perhsps all are no longer with us. But watching the old newsreel I still wanted County to win. And when I see kids at games today, it is somehow comforting to think that when I'm under the sod because of them our club will go on.
Thats all.

phil_in_npton wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:09 am Good Morning

Phil in Northampton
I don't think BBC wales even knew we existed for quite a long time in the 1990's!

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:44 pm The last line was interesting. I have no problem with those who wish to believe that the Newport County of today is a different club from the one I started watching in the mid 60s. However for me they are the same club.
Same club for me really - I supported County MKI (as a quite little un), 'AFC' as a youngster when 600 was a good crowd for us and the lads at school took the p out of me [for supporting NAFC] and then County MKII but to me they are essentially one club a bit like an old favourite brand (sadly diminishing as multinationals buy them all up!) like Cadburys chocolate of course they have passed through a few hands but to me its still good old Cadburys (bad analogy but you get my point).

Technically a number of clubs such as Middlesbrough are different clubs to their original ones ditto Glasgow Rangers but their fans probably don't see that as being the case.

This question takes me back to the arguments in the high court case against the FAW. Legally Newport AFC was a different club from Newport County FC. If it hadn't been it would have been liable for Newport County's debts. Thankfully, the judge, who was an Arsenal fan and understood football, was persuaded a football club wasn't just an act of incorporation as a company but had an existence because of the history and traditions and continuity of supporters groups that transcended mere acts of company formation. Indeed, if that was not so, many clubs who have re-incorporated for one reason or another would not be able to claim the long histories that they think they have.
The Newport County of 2022 is certainly the same club that I first supported regularly in 1962.