League Two Managers

Whilst wasting fifteen minutes of my life this morning, I discovered that since we appointed JR in October, FIFTEEN other League Two clubs have appointed a new manager. Rowberry currently sits in 48th place of the 92 clubs in terms of length of service.

Re: League Two Managers

excessbee wrote: June 8th, 2022, 12:03 pm Whilst wasting fifteen minutes of my life this morning, I discovered that since we appointed JR in October, FIFTEEN other League Two clubs have appointed a new manager. Rowberry currently sits in 48th place of the 92 clubs in terms of length of service.
The brilliant BBC podcast 'sacked in the morning' offers an insight into matters managerial - in some ways its shocking that the turnover is so high in others not surprising at all - football is an extremely fickle & faddy business

excessbee wrote: June 8th, 2022, 12:03 pm Whilst wasting fifteen minutes of my life this morning, I discovered that since we appointed JR in October, FIFTEEN other League Two clubs have appointed a new manager. Rowberry currently sits in 48th place of the 92 clubs in terms of length of service.
The ridiculous thing is that next season 4 teams will be promoted from League 2, 2 teams will be relegated and 18 will remain in League 2. And no amount of changing managers will change that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 8th, 2022, 12:09 pm
The ridiculous thing is that next season 4 teams will be promoted from League 2, 2 teams will be relegated and 18 will remain in League 2. And no amount of changing managers will change that.
It's a fair point. But if, for instance, County had a poor start to next season how many games would any of us give Rowberry before demanding his sacking? Is there some sort of sliding scale for number of points in the first 10 games? Is this changed after 15 or 20 games? Terry Butcher in 2015-16 was given 10 games having accumulated 5 points from 30 and with County lying bottom. Warren Feeney in 2016-17 was given 13 games, accumulated 8 points and sacked again with County lying bottom. Graham Westley later that season had accrued 19 points from 23 games before being sacked, County were again (still) bottom. Do you judge the need to sack purely on League position, or style of play, or should signings be considered (a point often made when Flynn was in charge)?

I'd interested in peoples views.

An interesting question might be did the teams changing manager significantly improve their league position as a result. None of the promoted teams came on a second half charge up the league. At the other end, Scunthorpe possibly got worse, but Oldham, for a while, perked up a bit before falling apart again.

excessbee wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:34 pm An interesting question might be did the teams changing manager significantly improve their league position as a result. None of the promoted teams came on a second half charge up the league. At the other end, Scunthorpe possibly got worse, but Oldham, for a while, perked up a bit before falling apart again.
Port Vale did. They came like a train to finish 5th. I remember saying on the mb to watch them about 2/3 months before the season finished.

It was a great atmosphere in the away end as the manager joined us in there, but as soon as the game kicked off and it appeared that Westley was playing Parkin in behind Jackson and Myrie-Williams at Yeovil away, I felt he wasn't up to the job. (yes, that was his first game in charge of us :lol: )

pembsexile wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:48 pm
excessbee wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:34 pm An interesting question might be did the teams changing manager significantly improve their league position as a result. None of the promoted teams came on a second half charge up the league. At the other end, Scunthorpe possibly got worse, but Oldham, for a while, perked up a bit before falling apart again.
Port Vale did. They came like a train to finish 5th. I remember saying on the mb to watch them about 2/3 months before the season finished.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant did any team move into the promotion places after a change of manager. Darrell Clark was appointed in Feb 21. Certainly a good decision for them and indicates that change most likely takes 18 months to bear fruit. Maybe Bradford next season? Salford meanwhile, never seem to get to the 18 month mark :lol:

excessbee wrote: June 8th, 2022, 4:01 pm
pembsexile wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:48 pm
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant did any team move into the promotion places after a change of manager. Darrell Clark was appointed in Feb 21. Certainly a good decision for them and indicates that change most likely takes 18 months to bear fruit. Maybe Bradford next season? Salford meanwhile, never seem to get to the 18 month mark :lol:
Good point. I like your mention of the 18 month mark to ‘bear fruit’. The way some clubs change their managers they obviously don’t take 18 months into consideration. 18 games maybe. It’s bloody crazy.

You mentioned Bradford. They are promotion favourites. Hmm.

I think it rather depends on a combination of poor performances / league position / expectations of success / intra club relationships.
E g one manager may be sacked because he was given a great budget but club failed to progress or any manager will be in danger if relegation looms and he is failing to halt the slide.
In our particular case, after such a catastrophic run of results at the end of last season when Rowberry failed to shore up the bad run I really think he should only get ten games to keep us well clear of the bottom places. We made a remarkable recovery in the Great Escape, lightning seldom strikes in the same place twice.