Wales - disappointing & job not done yet?

I've watched the game v Holland [on TV] last night - have to say we made good fist of it but lacked that edge and quality - the late equaliser was typical spirited Wales then we go and let and admittedly quality side get one back! No shame in losing 2:1 to team that battered Belgium and football nation superior to ours but it felt oddly flat and while of course I understand 'the boys' went out and lets face it got 'hitfaced on Sunday night in hindsight perhaps the celebrations were a little too wild after all the somewhat maligned nations league has merit and can unlock prize money, ranking points and a back door to major championships.

Re: Wales - disappointing & job not done yet?

pembsexile wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:39 am My own opinion on the Nations cup - yes, it’s a back door route to some tournaments, but, at this time of year, the players should be on their holidays. Perhaps last night they were and I don’t criticise that after what they have done. As ever, money rules.
I prefer the NL to friendlies Mike non world cup and euro years they would have been played Mike this time of year obviously the WC being in winter they are playing now

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:53 am
pembsexile wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:39 am My own opinion on the Nations cup - yes, it’s a back door route to some tournaments, but, at this time of year, the players should be on their holidays. Perhaps last night they were and I don’t criticise that after what they have done. As ever, money rules.
I prefer the NL to friendlies Mike non world cup and euro years they would have been played Mike this time of year obviously the WC being in winter they are playing now
Generally agree - one slight downside is its limits playing non European teams in preparation for world cups or just to test different playing styles - all that said as I've posted before 4 games in 11 days is excessive and unfair on the players & fans - however well paid the players may be

Yes I get the positive bits Jim, at the end of the day Wales and the County are our teams and we support them. I just can’t get worked up at the NL or to some extent, County friendlies. It is just that it seems non stop. Players (ours included) need a break. I think that the authorities play on our insatiable desire to see more of the game. Money grabbing ba*****s.

pembsexile wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:17 am
Yes I get the positive bits Jim, at the end of the day Wales and the County are our teams and we support them. I just can’t get worked up at the NL or to some extent, County friendlies. It is just that it seems non stop. Players (ours included) need a break. I think that the authorities play on our insatiable desire to see more of the game. Money grabbing ba*****s.
Does the nations league mean Wales/other teams play more games than before? genuinely not sure either way - in the recent past they'd fly off to the US and play Mexico and the USA in 2 games or some such - not sure which prepares the players better that or playing other UEFA nations?

Only my view.

The Nations League strikes me as a simple attempt to squeeze yet more money out of the game. Saturation football coverage with a season ending at the end of June, and beginning again with friendlies at the start of July is ridiculous. When I was a child I loved watching the Cup final. And come August the thrill of a new season meant I often couldn't sleep on the Friday before the season began. An excitement that lasted only until someone like the late Frank Large went and ruined it but a real excitement nonetheless.

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched all 90 minutes of a TV game.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:54 am Only my view.

The Nations League strikes me as a simple attempt to squeeze yet more money out of the game. Saturation football coverage with a season ending at the end of June, and beginning again with friendlies at the start of July is ridiculous. When I was a child I loved watching the Cup final. And come August the thrill of a new season meant I often couldn't sleep on the Friday before the season began. An excitement that lasted only until someone like the late Frank Large went and ruined it but a real excitement nonetheless.

I think it's better than meaningless friendlies

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:36 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:54 am Only my view.

I think it's better than meaningless friendlies
Absolutely Jim. But only in as much I think that it's better to have chickenpox than smallpox. :grin:

Where the Nations League has the edge over friendlies is that it is played under proper substitution limits. If I am ever watching a friendly international on TV (rarely) I always switch off when a fourth substitute is used - usually halftime. Of course that has now been changed to five but you don't get the ridiculous numbers that happened in friendlies.

CathedralCounty wrote: June 10th, 2022, 12:16 pm
pembsexile wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:35 pm Ex keeper Tom King just been called into the Welsh squad as goalkeeper cover due to keeper injury.
On a side note 'Kingy' speaks well on the BBC podcast '72+' about the football league, Josh Sheehan seems to have disappeared was he injured or just not 'fancied'?
I didn't see Sheehan in the Bolton side for months last season. Apparently he had an operation on an ACL injury start of the year and had just started training on grass at the start of April. So possibly be back for Bolton at the start of the season. He also got married at the start of June.

excessbee wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:47 pm Where the Nations League has the edge over friendlies is that it is played under proper substitution limits. If I am ever watching a friendly international on TV (rarely) I always switch off when a fourth substitute is used - usually halftime. Of course that has now been changed to five but you don't get the ridiculous numbers that happened in friendlies.
From the point of view of somebody who attends the Nations League matches, I find them far more enjoyable and worthwhile than the friendly matches we had previously. It is just unfortunate that Wales have been hamstrung in all four of our June matches with the probable knock-on effect to Euro 2024 qualification and so on. Although Belgium yet again is getting a bit tedious.