Play nice

We had a few weeks of nice open and honest debate on a range of issues with people respectfully disagreeing with one another and now it sadly seems some people have descended [back] into petty brickbats and insults I've said before I'm not coming down on anyone's 'side' as its all going over my head as appears some old grudges are resurfacing but for mucks sake c'mon people - 'be nice' its costs nothing!

I come on here to be amused, intrigued, entertained, educated, advised and to put my not so humble opinions across and as an outlet where I otherwise may have none, its sad and depressing that some people (no doubt good people at heart) just throw insults at each other.

Re: Play nice

Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:18 pm I just think we should avoid politics full stop. I know it's bled into footy recently with BLM/Qatar etc but footy should be what brings us together not what divides us.
Of course you are right. Being together doesn't though mean always agreeing. The one thing we should agree on is that we want Newport County to achieve at the highest possible level. And in my view a city the size of Newport can and should have a football team that is more successful than the side I have supported for 57 years has been.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:32 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:18 pm I just think we should avoid politics full stop. I know it's bled into footy recently with BLM/Qatar etc but footy should be what brings us together not what divides us.
Of course you are right. Being together doesn't though mean always agreeing. The one thing we should agree on is that we want Newport County to achieve at the highest possible level. And in my view a city the size of Newport can and should have a football team that is more successful than the side I have supported for 57 years has been.

Its easier said than done...remember we lost a generation of fans to armchair footy fans when we were in non league for years. How many Barcelona , Real Madrid and Premier League clubs do you see kids wearing shirts walking around the streets that have never seen the side play a game . only on TV ?
Ever since we have gained League status our support has grown year on year...As ever ( no disrespect to Newportonians ) when the team does well the crowds increase....Average to mediocre seasons and its down to the 'hard core support'
If we go up to League one we would probably see a 15-20% increase in crowds and loads more if we did well
In my opinion its always been the same ( except the armchair shirt wearers) . If the club are doing well , they turn up.
Of the 9000 that were at Wembley to watch us play Tottenham , how many haven't seen a game since ?

Stan Einstein [/quote wrote:
Of course you are right. Being together doesn't though mean always agreeing. The one thing we should agree on is that we want Newport County to achieve at the highest possible level.
I’d actually suggest that I’d rather County was a sustainable club, owning its own assets including a stadium and training ground.

I’d much rather this, plus occasional good cup runs and a balanced squad which entertains and is competing at the right end of the table, than a club which struggles on and off the pitch just because we’ve been promoted or can’t afford to run the club in the division we’re in.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 9th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Of course you are right. Being together doesn't though mean always agreeing. The one thing we should agree on is that we want Newport County to achieve at the highest possible level.
I’d actually suggest that I’d rather County was a sustainable club, owning its own assets including a stadium and training ground.

I’d much rather this, plus occasional good cup runs and a balanced squad which entertains and is competing at the right end of the table, than a club which struggles on and off the pitch just because we’ve been promoted or can’t afford to run the club in the division we’re in.
I'd agree with that.

You often find the arguments become more tetchy in the close season. I tend to think it's because we're not feeding our addiction and become short with people as a result. We do have some WUM's on here as well...

wattsville_boy wrote: June 10th, 2022, 3:02 pm

I'd agree with that.

You often find the arguments become more tetchy in the close season. I tend to think it's because we're not feeding our addiction and become short with people as a result. We do have some WUM's on here as well...
What’s a WUM? Asking in event I either am one or might become one?!

Agree on sustainably run club but don’t think ownership of assets is the panacea but we DO need good landlords and partners who have the clubs best interests at heart - we certainly need to stay we’ll away from schysters bearing gifts as for our level really believe we could sustain league one football in Newport

CathedralCounty wrote: June 11th, 2022, 9:31 am

I'd agree with that.

Wind up merchant

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 11th, 2022, 9:58 am

I'd agree with that.

Wind up merchant
Ah! I’m not down with the kids obviously

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 11th, 2022, 9:58 am

I'd agree with that.

Wind up merchant
Ah! I’m not down with the kids obviously

CathedralCounty wrote: June 11th, 2022, 9:35 am

Agree on sustainably run club but don’t think ownership of assets is the panacea but we DO need good landlords and partners who have the clubs best interests at heart - we certainly need to stay we’ll away from schysters bearing gifts as for our level really believe we could sustain league one football in Newport
I can’t get past the fact that Burnley and Norwich ( you could add others I’m sure ) made the Premiership. If we built the attendances those towns get ( and given the population here, it should be possible ) there’s absolutely no reason we couldn’t - apart from a vision, good stewardship and of course, ambition.