Re: Play nice

lowandhard wrote: June 11th, 2022, 7:26 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: June 11th, 2022, 9:35 am
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 9th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Stan Einstein [/quote wrote:
Of course you are right. Being together doesn't though mean always agreeing. The one thing we should agree on is that we want Newport County to achieve at the highest possible level.
I’d actually suggest that I’d rather County was a sustainable club, owning its own assets including a stadium and training ground.

I’d much rather this, plus occasional good cup runs and a balanced squad which entertains and is competing at the right end of the table, than a club which struggles on and off the pitch just because we’ve been promoted or can’t afford to run the club in the division we’re in.
Agree on sustainably run club but don’t think ownership of assets is the panacea but we DO need good landlords and partners who have the clubs best interests at heart - we certainly need to stay we’ll away from schysters bearing gifts as for our level really believe we could sustain league one football in Newport
I can’t get past the fact that Burnley and Norwich ( you could add others I’m sure ) made the Premiership. If we built the attendances those towns get ( and given the population here, it should be possible ) there’s absolutely no reason we couldn’t - apart from a vision, good stewardship and of course, ambition.
I would add to that the need for wealthy owners rather than being fan owned. Currently true comparisons can only be made with other fan owned clubs.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: June 11th, 2022, 8:44 pm
Of course you are right. Being together doesn't though mean always agreeing. The one thing we should agree on is that we want Newport County to achieve at the highest possible level.
I’d actually suggest that I’d rather County was a sustainable club, owning its own assets including a stadium and training ground.

I’d much rather this, plus occasional good cup runs and a balanced squad which entertains and is competing at the right end of the table, than a club which struggles on and off the pitch just because we’ve been promoted or can’t afford to run the club in the division we’re in.
Agree on sustainably run club but don’t think ownership of assets is the panacea but we DO need good landlords and partners who have the clubs best interests at heart - we certainly need to stay we’ll away from schysters bearing gifts as for our level really believe we could sustain league one football in Newport
I can’t get past the fact that Burnley and Norwich ( you could add others I’m sure ) made the Premiership. If we built the attendances those towns get ( and given the population here, it should be possible ) there’s absolutely no reason we couldn’t - apart from a vision, good stewardship and of course, ambition.
I would add to that the need for wealthy owners rather than being fan owned. Currently true comparisons can only be made with other fan owned clubs.
Yes , accepted - and that’s what the fans want and voted for.

lowandhard wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:17 pm

On which point, do you think that if our Chairman had had a call from Hollywood about a possible takeover, that it would have seen the light of day, because I don’t?.
Years ago when members voted for a hybrid model, I remember it said at a meeting, by either Gavin or Shaun, that they valued the Club at £5m ! A ridiculous price at the time, probably still ridiculous, but nevertheless an effective barrier to any interest.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 12th, 2022, 7:40 am

On which point, do you think that if our Chairman had had a call from Hollywood about a possible takeover, that it would have seen the light of day, because I don’t?.
Years ago when members voted for a hybrid model, I remember it said at a meeting, by either Gavin or Shaun, that they valued the Club at £5m ! A ridiculous price at the time, probably still ridiculous, but nevertheless an effective barrier to any interest.
I don't pretend to have the insight to know if our Chairman would attempt to keep a possible takeover or investment in a hybrid model from the public. But what could prevent any possible investor from expressing that interest publically themselves?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: June 12th, 2022, 8:20 am

I don't pretend to have the insight to know if our Chairman would attempt to keep a possible takeover or investment in a hybrid model from the public. But what could prevent any possible investor from expressing that interest publically themselves?
You’re possibly correct, but if the Wrexham Trust had rebuffed the Hollywood approach, I don’t think that having been rejected Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney would have necessarily gone public, they would have just switched their attention elsewhere.
Mind you, their purchase price was £2m for arguably a potentially bigger club than Newport, yet a figure that is 40% of the £5m muted as being the required amount for County. With that price tag I would hazard a guess that we will never find any serious outside interest, and for all we know there may have already been price enquiries.

Wrexham being non league, don't benefit from the Premier League TV monies of £1 million per annum. The Hollywood investers have already spent half their investment, and are still non league. How deep will their pockets go?

What happens then? At one time, the County trumpeted Rushden and Diamonds as a role model, then Wimbledon AFC.

Wimbledon have a large debt from building their own ground, and were relegated. Milton Keynes Don's without a similar millstone, were almost promoted.

I admit, I don't know if there is a better model for us, but I personally, would be concerned if we threw away the sustainability baby with the bathwater, simply because we are offered some cash.

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 12th, 2022, 10:26 am And of course after moving into the new ground Wimbledon have gone into a share with London Broncos RL, which means the pitch doesn't get a summer break. Was that part of the plan, or forced on them by shortage of funds?
A rather telling point is made in their accounts, and I quote:-

There are financial risks involved in being a fans owned club as, despite some very generous fans, the majority of our income has to be earned from our own resources. This leaves us more exposed than many other clubs to the adverse financial consequences if we were to be relegated from the English football league.

A warning that equally applies to County, mind you this statement comes after their post Covid £1m loss.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 12th, 2022, 9:33 am

You’re possibly correct, but if the Wrexham Trust had rebuffed the Hollywood approach, I don’t think that having been rejected Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney would have necessarily gone public, they would have just switched their attention elsewhere.
Mind you, their purchase price was £2m for arguably a potentially bigger club than Newport, yet a figure that is 40% of the £5m muted as being the required amount for County. With that price tag I would hazard a guess that we will never find any serious outside interest, and for all we know there may have already been price enquiries.
For what it's worth, and admittedly that's very little, I don't believe we have had any serious enquiries and if we do it will be made known.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on June 12th, 2022, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 12th, 2022, 7:57 am So presumably it's also valid to criticise Burnley for failing to become a force in Europe when a town the size of Viillareal can?
No George that is not what it is about. Rather it is saying if they can do that so can we. Now of course there is no guarantee that you will succeed if you try. However there is a guarantee that if you don't try you will fail. And failure is comfortable. Stay out of the race and you will never know the disappointment of losing.
Burnley first played in European competition, the European Cup no less in 1961/62. Last European competition 2018/19.

Your joints have got arthritis,
Your bones have got colitis,
You've been a man of action,
Now you're lying there traction,
But take some satisfaction,
F@ck it at least you tried.

Scottish trad.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: June 12th, 2022, 12:57 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 12th, 2022, 9:33 am

For what it's worth, and admittedly that's very little, I don't believe we have had any serious enquiries and if we do it will be made known.
I suspect that your assumption is correct that there have been no serious enquiries, as who in their right mind would want to acquire a minority interest costing millions?

I'm sure I've said it before on here but I still think County would be a good acquisition as long as you weren't looking to make a quick buck.

I think primarily an investor would need to look at new training facilities, preferably with a couple of outdoor pitches and an indoor pitch as well as the necessary gym and small pool. It wouldn't need to be in Newport, you could do what the Dragons have done and site it somewhere like Ystrad Mynach, Pontypool, Cwmbran, wherever. So much would such a complex cost for a club of County's size? £1million? £2million?

I don't think the playing budget would necessarily need much extra money. There are definite bargains to be had - U23 players released by Premier/Championship sides, non-league players that could make the step up, players with injury records that need their training/playing workload managed better. If County could fashion a side that could be promoted to League 1 and stay there then that small investment on training facilities could be recouped quite easily.

The next step is then to find someone willing to build a stadium fit for the Championship.