Andrew Hughes

It's great to see how well one of our former players is doing. He started with the County in the Conference South, then the Conf Prem and League 2 before moving to Peterborough in L1 and then Preston in the Championship, who finished mid-table, above Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke City. It mystifies me that he has never had a call up to the Wales senior squad, even though players competing at a lower level get regular places in the squad,e.g. Johnny Williams. He's 30 now so he probably never will. Even some of our fans underrated him with calls of "get him off" during his time with us. Unless I am very much mistaken he is now playing at the highest level of any former County player (loanees excluded).

Re: Andrew Hughes

Blackandamber wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:43 am It's great to see how well one of our former players is doing. He started with the County in the Conference South, then the Conf Prem and League 2 before moving to Peterborough in L1 and then Preston in the Championship, who finished mid-table, above Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke City. It mystifies me that he has never had a call up to the Wales senior squad, even though players competing at a lower level get regular places in the squad,e.g. Johnny Williams. He's 30 now so he probably never will. Even some of our fans underrated him with calls of "get him off" during his time with us. Unless I am very much mistaken he is now playing at the highest level of any former County player (loanees excluded).

Think John Aldridge might argue with the last sentence

aberexile wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:41 pm
Blackandamber wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:43 am It's great to see how well one of our former players is doing. He started with the County in the Conference South, then the Conf Prem and League 2 before moving to Peterborough in L1 and then Preston in the Championship, who finished mid-table, above Cardiff, Swansea and Stoke City. It mystifies me that he has never had a call up to the Wales senior squad, even though players competing at a lower level get regular places in the squad,e.g. Johnny Williams. He's 30 now so he probably never will. Even some of our fans underrated him with calls of "get him off" during his time with us. Unless I am very much mistaken he is now playing at the highest level of any former County player (loanees excluded).

Think the clue was now playing

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Oh yes, apologies. Not sure how to do an emoji on here, but if I could it would have one of those pulsing blushing faces

aberexile wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:37 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Oh yes, apologies. Not sure how to do an emoji on here, but if I could it would have one of those pulsing blushing faces
:oops:

I always liked him on the left side in a back three as opposed as a left wing back.

I think we should be proud of his achievements. He's a regular for Preston and has been playing at Championship level for several years now. I suspect he has been watched many times by people in the Welsh set up but not rated highly enough to figure in a squad. You'd need to be in the top two for any position to figure, except when one (or both) of the top two are injured and in that instance I suspect a "promising prospect" would get the call.