Re: David Buttress

All a bit silly if you ask me. The opening statement says 'We are Gwent Rugby', wherever that means. That's precisely what the Dragons are not and never have been. The team was never embraced by the rugby fraternity of the county and eventually responded by removing Gwent from their name, and indeed Newport also. Looks like some advertising whizz kid has been tasked with making a silk purse out of a sow's ear after years and years of failure on the pitch.

Fu Ming wrote: June 27th, 2022, 7:41 pm It looks to me that The Dragons have a slicker marketing presentation than the football does, and whatever anyone thinks of their kit, at least they have had it designed and ready to go, where is our new kit for the forth coming season?
Hummel, or any other supplier,will say that we are important to them but,the big clubs come first as they sell loads of replicas.We have a small fan base and only a small percentage of that buy replica shirts.We will always be some way down their list of priorities.

There's a Fleur-de-lis near Blackwood in Caerphilly County. The Fleur-de-lis is the symbol of the Prince of Wales. That's probably something to do with Henry VIII who moved conquered French nobility to the border country between England and Wales. Most of Monmouthshire was considered no man's land at the time, and he married Jane Seymour whose family were based at Penhow Castle, hence the Parc Seymour area nearby, which was part of the estate.
Rogiet is another French place name, along with St Piere.

Percy plunkett wrote: June 27th, 2022, 7:54 pm
Fu Ming wrote: June 27th, 2022, 7:41 pm It looks to me that The Dragons have a slicker marketing presentation than the football does, and whatever anyone thinks of their kit, at least they have had it designed and ready to go, where is our new kit for the forth coming season?
Hummel, or any other supplier,will say that we are important to them but,the big clubs come first as they sell loads of replicas.We have a small fan base and only a small percentage of that buy replica shirts.We will always be some way down their list of priorities.
A damned good reason imho to negotiate a kit deal with a smaller, more exclusive and better quality manufacturer who values our patronage. Perhaps more local?

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:02 pm There's a Fleur-de-lis near Blackwood in Caerphilly County. The Fleur-de-lis is the symbol of the Prince of Wales. That's probably something to do with Henry VIII who moved conquered French nobility to the border country between England and Wales. Most of Monmouthshire was considered no man's land at the time, and he married Jane Seymour whose family were based at Penhow Castle, hence the Parc Seymour area nearby, which was part of the estate.
Thanks. Research certainly shows a strong relationship between the fleur de lis and various princes of wales including Henry of Monmouth who became Henry V. Looking up the village of Fleur de Lis shows that the origin of the French name maybe to do with Huguenots settling in the area. It is believed that the original name may have been Trelyn. (Which I suppose would translate as Lynstown in English. Trelyn is also very similar to the Welsh word for a harp which is Telyn.)

Well you live and learn.

G Guest wrote: June 27th, 2022, 8:33 pm To answer my own question, it seems that Monmouthshire County Council adopted the fleur de lis as an emblem in 1948. Perhaps the Free French had been based there.
Norman used to be a very popular name in the County. In fact at one time if you took your chicken to market, you would be saying "alright Norman", "Morning Norman", "Good to see you Norman" as you passed people. It was almost as if there had been an invasion of Norman's, there were so many.
Very few now, can only think of Cameron Norman, and Norman Parcell in the County today.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:02 pm There's a Fleur-de-lis near Blackwood in Caerphilly County. The Fleur-de-lis is the symbol of the Prince of Wales. That's probably something to do with Henry VIII who moved conquered French nobility to the border country between England and Wales. Most of Monmouthshire was considered no man's land at the time, and he married Jane Seymour whose family were based at Penhow Castle, hence the Parc Seymour area nearby, which was part of the estate.
It’s interesting how place names replace the originals when immigrants move in. Trelyn became Fluer de Lis after the French moved in. The locals there still call it the flower. However if you listen to the accents of people in the area it’s a strong regional Welsh valley accent, like that you see portrayed in tv and films. Parc Seymour, Rogiet and St Pierre are where some Anglicised Welsh live and have a completely different accent. I was at St Pierre on Saturday and I swear when I heard the locals talk they had a West Country twang to their voices. All within a 10/12 mile radius. Fascinating stuff.

Certainly speaking West Country commences not far to the east of Newport and within Wales. I have heard it said that an expert can not only identify a Newport accent but tell what district of Newport a person comes from. I am sure this is true over a wide area of South Wales.