Re: Bury AFC v Bury FC

Percy plunkett wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm I see that The Drifters are currently on a World Tour.It says that they were formed in 1953,that means that the four guys on stage are all about 95 years old but,the photo shows them to be half that age.One singer says to the audience “ This is a song that you put in the charts for us in 1965 “,how can that be correct as none of the guys on the stage were even born in 1965.The answer,the daughter of the original manager now owns the trade name of The Drifters,she knows that calling these singers The Drifters means that they get prestigious venues where she can charge top ticket prices.They are in fact a tribute act but,if she called them The Plunketts,a sensational tribute to The Drifters,the venues and ticket prices would be much lower,even though it would be the exact same singers on the stage.Now,if someone in the audience wants to believe that they have just seen The Drifters then so be it but,they haven’t.If fans of ours want to think that this football club is the old County then,as long as they keep supporting us then so be it but,we are not the old County.
I have seen "The Bootleg Beatles" twice in my life. I know they weren't the original Beatles but the fact that they portray the Beatles from their Hamburg days to the Let it Be sessions (through the many style changes) make it the best Beatles concert anyone could see.

Amberexile wrote: June 17th, 2022, 10:34 pm There's a lot to be said for a decent tribute band, especially when the original band are no longer together in any meaningful way. Let the music live on.
I quite agree and enjoy them as much as anyone but this thread isn’t about that. In the example given above about the Beatles, absolutely nobody believes that Lennon, McCartney et al are playing live though their music is happily being performed by others. Is the point of these later assertions that Newport County AFC is a tribute team to Newport County - of course not! It is the club we now support that was formed to replace the club that went bankrupt even as we were supporting it. We were monetarily unable to prolong the old incarnation because of debts so some wonderful fans fought to make a new club to represent their life long love of a team representing Newport, they knew Sherman had the County name or they couldn’t take on the debt. If we had been later unable to buy the “ Newport County “ name, we would still be Newport AFC so Hando’s explanation must be right and is a happy marriage of the new club now with a proud old name and a history longer than it’s new incarnation.

I hope nobody minds if I try to sum up where we've got to in this debate. As far as I can see:
Percy and his supporters say that 1+1=2.
Some of Percy's opponents say that 1+1=1, and one of Percy's opponents says that 1+1=2 AND 1+1=1 (so you can select either according to preference, without contradicting anyone else). And that anyone who finds the latter position a little odd has a personal problem. Is that fair?

Percy plunkett wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm I see that The Drifters are currently on a World Tour.It says that they were formed in 1953,that means that the four guys on stage are all about 95 years old but,the photo shows them to be half that age.One singer says to the audience “ This is a song that you put in the charts for us in 1965 “,how can that be correct as none of the guys on the stage were even born in 1965.The answer,the daughter of the original manager now owns the trade name of The Drifters,she knows that calling these singers The Drifters means that they get prestigious venues where she can charge top ticket prices.They are in fact a tribute act but,if she called them The Plunketts,a sensational tribute to The Drifters,the venues and ticket prices would be much lower,even though it would be the exact same singers on the stage.Now,if someone in the audience wants to believe that they have just seen The Drifters then so be it but,they haven’t.If fans of ours want to think that this football club is the old County then,as long as they keep supporting us then so be it but,we are not the old County.

The performers in a football side constantly change, no one playing for us next season will have played for us in 2012, does that mean they’re a tribute act to the 2012 County team?
Last edited by Exile 1976 on June 18th, 2022, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.