Re: New Loan Signing

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:17 am I just wonder whether they wind up recouping their investment over maybe 10 years even if players with this sort of profile do eventually join an EFL club for a modest fee. Wages, all the ancillary costs that apply in any line of work, kit alone must be a big bill. Presumably they must and the proof is that these players do stay on the books into their 20s.

I mean, what now happens to a slightly younger player like Jake Cain? Jury must still be out on him making it in the ERL.
The investment is made in the hoovering up of young players. Clubs like Liverpool can invest say £200,000 in 10 young players. If only one makes it they have a Premier League player for £2 million.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:05 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:17 am I just wonder whether they wind up recouping their investment over maybe 10 years even if players with this sort of profile do eventually join an EFL club for a modest fee. Wages, all the ancillary costs that apply in any line of work, kit alone must be a big bill. Presumably they must and the proof is that these players do stay on the books into their 20s.

I mean, what now happens to a slightly younger player like Jake Cain? Jury must still be out on him making it in the ERL.
The investment is made in the hoovering up of young players. Clubs like Liverpool can invest say £200,000 in 10 young players. If only one makes it they have a Premier League player for £2 million.
Agreed but the figure for the investment must be a heck of a lot more than that.

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:24 am

Agreed but the figure for the investment must be a heck of a lot more than that.
To clubs like Liverpool the cost is small fry, i mean christ!! they just spent £6m on a 16 year old full back from Aberdeen.

Of course. Clearly I don't know what the figures are but I rather think Liverpool et al will.

llanwern exile wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:35 am

To clubs like Liverpool the cost is small fry, i mean christ!! they just spent £6m on a 16 year old full back from Aberdeen.
They probably got 60-70 youngsters on the books if only 10% make it they've done a good job and for the youngests that don't it's good on their CVs they've played for Liverpool you can swap that with man city Chelsea etc

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:48 am

They probably got 60-70 youngsters on the books if only 10% make it they've done a good job and for the youngests that don't it's good on their CVs they've played for Liverpool you can swap that with man city Chelsea etc
Depends what you classify as making it. I think very few make it to the first team squad at Liverpool. Those that do are normally acquired from an academy elsewhere, rather than home grown.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:09 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:48 am

Depends what you classify as making it. I think very few make it to the first team squad at Liverpool. Those that do are normally acquired from an academy elsewhere, rather than home grown.
Not quite true. Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen, Trent Alexander Arnold, Curtis Jones, Steven Gerrard, Steve Mcmanaman, and Robbie Fowler were all products of the Liverpool, academy and all played for the club. All saved the club a vast amount of cash.

Interesting statistic.
As an NHL coach in the US told the parents at an academy players evening ——“ let’s put it all in perspective. There are about 3400 professional ice hockey players in North America , so your son has more chance of becoming a brain surgeon than a hockey player “.