Re: Telford

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 24th, 2022, 9:54 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 24th, 2022, 9:35 pm Absolutely f-cked off about it. Sheer greed. Very disappointed. Can't wait to boo him next season.
We can't have it both ways. You say sheer greed. If you were offered the same job you had now at a much higher salary and/or greater job security would you say no?

Neither would I and neither would anyone else.
👍

Well we didn't see this one coming.

I have only just woken up to the fact that Creepy are owned by Americans who had earlier tried to take over Bradford City but were chased off by the chairman who threatened legal action if they didn't stop telling lies about his club.
So how will the yanks make money out of this lower division English football club who rent their ground from the local council so there's nothing to sell? By selling the fans club branded non-fungible tokens of course. But I expect you already knew that. As someone else said, let's hope Dom takes his wages in cash.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 24th, 2022, 9:53 pm I think you guys are being a bit short-sighted over his move.

He signed for us and was then frozen out, when he got his chance of regular games he became our highest scorer in a season since???

He’s now got a chance to make some real money with the security of a 3 year deal and, whatever we think of Crawley, they’ve a 50/50 chance of buying promotion next season.

Plus most importantly in my view, he gets to work with respected coaches who have actually played the game and know what they’re talking about. At a club which has its own ground and presumably training facilities.

It can’t have been just down to £ as Sussex is an expensive place to live compared to where he has been before.

If this sort of scenario cropped up in my job - chance to join a company with £ behind it and leave my present employer where I’ve not always been treated with respect and who (most likely) only offered me a 2 year contract on wages not much above what other key staff are on, then I would be clearing my desk pronto.

And I won’t even mention it’s a short career…..
Absolutely spot on. I believe a lot went on behind the scenes to try and force Telford to breech his contract under Flynn & those above in an attempt to get rid of him. I guess people don't forget those sorts of things when it comes to signing a new contract.

Good luck to the lad, always played with a smile on his face and scored some great goals. Genuinely hope it works out for him.

Worryingly it perhaps speaks volumes that a number of players are choosing not to accept new deals, many of who have been around. Either the offers are derisory or they are not to impressed with the gaffer.

Telford is a bit overrated by some on here.
Yes he had a good season with us last year but dried up towards the end.
If you remember no one came knocking in the January window when he was in his purple patch.
And it looks like no higher league club has got him either.
Obviously gone for a nice 3 year deal and more money.

Fu Ming wrote: June 24th, 2022, 10:26 pm Telford is a bit overrated by some on here.
I respect your views and opinions Fu Ming, I really do.
But this comment lets you down I feel.
Top scorer in the division last season, winner of 2 player of the month awards, plus named in the divisional team of the season.

We’ve not had a reason to hype up a County player for several years. Yet, some supporters with sour grapes in their jealous mouths may now suggest he’s a one-season wonder, but I believe the facts speak for themselves.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 24th, 2022, 9:53 pm

Plus most importantly in my view, he gets to work with respected coaches who have actually played the game and know what they’re talking about. At a club which has its own ground and presumably training facilities.

It can’t have been just down to £ as Sussex is an expensive place to live compared to where he has been before.
If it was solely money then Wrexham would have been a good shout and nearer to his home town. Personally I think your comment on coaches could have some truth as ours are unproven and very inexperienced.

[/quote]

If it was solely money then Wrexham would have been a good shout and nearer to his home town. Personally I think your comment on coaches could have some truth as ours are unproven and very inexperienced.
[/quote]

Good point, although Wrexham have already got 2 high-earning strikers and that didn’t get them far last season.

I really do think a lot of it is down to how the players feel they are being treated and respected, plus the facilities a club has/owns. These are, after all, young lads in their 20s who will be persuaded by big plans for success, plus being surrounded by coaches who have ‘been there and done it’.

If you were the parent of a young player who had to choose between Newport County (coached by James Rowberry & Carl Serrant (who??) or Crawley coached by Kevin Betsy, Dannie Bullman and others, who would you trust your lad with?

Well surprised with this decision, do I think he has made a mistake, `NO` a 3year contract will give him and his family stability and a healthy bank balance, as for leaving County no one can be surprised by this decision.
Good luck to the lad I say, look forward to seeing him back at Rodney Parade.

What the heck Crawley !!
At the least i expected him to be snapped up by a potential promotion candidate.
Crawley have one, if the the lowest, season ticket prices for L2 next season.
Yet a local rival of theirs, Sutton, are one of the expensive for L2.

Well thanks for services Tom but Crawley ain't among my favoured clubs so enjoy your stay there anyhow but nightmares against County, Newport that is, not Stockport.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 24th, 2022, 10:46 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:14 pm Interesting that Clubs in higher leagues have been conspicuous in their absence to secure his signature.
Not quite. I heard tonight that he held talks with Sunderland.
That doesn’t necessarily mean there was actually serious interest, as it could have just been his agent touting his services. Livermore and the alleged QPR interest is possibly another example.

I’m genuinely shocked at his move to Crawley, but if he could hit another 15 or 20 goals next season then he will suddenly become very hot property, and that Club will reap a sizeable short term return in transfer fees.

Whatever the true reason for his leaving was, the loss of Dom could come back to haunt us.

The criticism of Telford is ridiculous people talk about loyalty we gave him a 18 m contract and told him to get lost after 6m. Everybody on here would move jobs for more money and more security it is what people do - three year contracts in L2 are almost unheard of good luck to him.
He strikes me as a very grounded and sensible guy - dug in to prove Flynn wrong, had his reward with a season in a lifetime and now has probably chosen security over a one year pay bonanza - I suspect any L1 clubs looking at him would have split their bets more money but 1 year to prove no one season wonder.
Crawley are also better placed than us to go up - more money around in terms of backers and have been L1 in the recent past, coupled with a proximity to the London / South East player pool. We are and have always been a small club and always will be with pretty poor training facilities etc.
I wish him well and thank for the memories.