Re: Telford

County-at-the-races wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:29 pm Just waiting for the 'It's a short career' stuff now!
Perhaps it's a sign of my age that I hate the bollox that new signings give with the "This is a great place" "I couldn't wait to sign" "A team I have always respected" blah blah, but at the first opportunity of a bit more money it's "bye then" "be seeing you" "all the best."
Oh dear I’m a proponent of such “bollox”! It IS a short career and most footballers come from modest backgrounds so want to squeeze every last drop of earnings they can - good luck to the guy

Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 24th, 2022, 9:35 pm Absolutely f-cked off about it. Sheer greed. Very disappointed. Can't wait to boo him next season.
Nope people buying up tens of properties and renting them out in a dilapidated state at a stupidly high rent or selling medicines at far more than their real cost or dealing in arms to Africa is “sheer greed” and immoral to boot - a middling striker who had a purple patch at a league 2 club signing for another club for, one hopes, a lot more money than we could offer him is sensible and good on him

I was surprised when I first saw this then remembered the American investors so its obviously a good financial deal and 3 years provides rare security however I have got one eye on financial implosion further down the line.

I've also got an eye on Stevenage as well because of Steve Evans'record and think they're due a good season.

Good luck to Telford he showed a lot a character to force his way into the team and took his chance when the opportunity presented itself.

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 25th, 2022, 8:38 am Glad he's got his move up north
😂 innit? 😂 North Creepy near the M25 I expect. Hope they go bankrupt. I’m not bitter losing Telford though, he has to do what’s best for him and tbh I don’t think he’ll be that effective now teams realise they have to mark him!

Having slept on it I think I was a bit hasty to say it's greed. But I still don't get it and still fcked off!

Couple of things re pay and job security. How much more is he getting at Crawley? A few hundred a week? Won't be a few thousand. They're not Salford (or what the Gogs would have had to pay Mullen/Palmer) so I'm not having that.

Job security? Not having that either. He's the L2 top goalscorer and a proven pro. If players back themselves then they don't really care about length of contract at our level. Plus he's had at leat half a dozen clubs in his career to date so longevity clearly doesn't factor in to his thinking about career moves.

So he's clearly decided he wasn't going to stay with us - why?? Tell me one thing of significance that Crawley are better at than we are. Tell me how a move to Crawley is better than staying with us?

Guy owes us nothing … like I said months ago, we told him last Summer to find a new club, that he wasn’t wanted at RP …. so now all of a sudden we all expect loyalty from him ??? 😂

Three years on good ££, no brainier for him … like previous posters have said ….. most of us would jump at a similar scenario!
Last edited by Justanordinaryfan on June 25th, 2022, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 24th, 2022, 10:33 pm
Fu Ming wrote: June 24th, 2022, 10:26 pm Telford is a bit overrated by some on here.
I respect your views and opinions Fu Ming, I really do.
But this comment lets you down I feel.
Top scorer in the division last season, winner of 2 player of the month awards, plus named in the divisional team of the season.

We’ve not had a reason to hype up a County player for several years. Yet, some supporters with sour grapes in their jealous mouths may now suggest he’s a one-season wonder, but I believe the facts speak for themselves.
Hello DP,
Thanks for your comment.
I was not trying to put Mr Telford down, just stating what I thought that some members were rating him somewhat higher.
I don't blame him for securing a longer 3 year contract and presumably more money than he was offered with us.
And I do agree with the facts you stated regarding his player of the months awards, and all those goals etc.
But it does ask the question which I posed "how come he didn't get picked up in the January window or go to a higher league club" I suppose we will never know.

Well I’m glad we didn’t break the bank for him. I could understand it if his scoring record was over 2 or 3 seasons but there’s always that nagging doubt as to whether we would have gotten the pre or post Christmas version. Nobody knows yet and it seems Crawley have the pockets to take a bigger risk than us.

To be offered a 3 year contract at this level is unusual probably on 5 grand a week .So cant blame him leaving its weather crawley can sustain this investment or end up like bury we will have to wait and see .just like to add dont remember him ever saying he wanted to return north as some posters have said.
Good luck Dom

Not sure he actually said it, but his other half was clearly from the North, when several of us met her in the away stand at Bristol Rovers. He scored in that game, and she said it made the long journey worth while, as she didn't go to a lot of games.
Obviously don't know if they are still based up north or not, but assuming they are, flying home for a few days would now be a lot easier, with Crawley being next to Gatwick.

What does it matter whether he said it or not? Even if he did and even if he meant it, if he was offered enough to change his mind he would probably have gone to Timbuktu.

Reality is that he played for Newport, he gave of his best, his contract ended, he left. That's all there is to it.