Re: Message board playing up again

NearlyDead wrote: July 10th, 2022, 2:45 pm The error I've been getting when trying to access the MB has generally been SQL ERROR [ mysqli ] ... already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

Is this a case of hordes of bots, too many people viewing the site but w/o logging in, or a GoDaddy issue?

Of course, it may well be that GoDaddy are just rubbish, but is it only partly their problem at all? I get it that the only way to up the 'max_user_connections' is to ask GoDaddy administrators to do this for you, and they may not be at all responsive. And I ask this (from the point of knowing next to zilch about SQL) because from a Google search of this error message it seems a pretty common issue and not limited to GoDaddy.

Too many open/looping scripts? Database connections not being closed when a viewer leaves the site?

What web hosts do other clubs with a lot more traffic than us use? What plans are they on compared with us?
This is what the woeful response from GoDaddy was

*Naresh S*
There is a high load on parent server due to which yu are facing this issue

We're switching hosts soon, should fix it.

Jack wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:17 pm
NearlyDead wrote: July 10th, 2022, 2:45 pm The error I've been getting when trying to access the MB has generally been SQL ERROR [ mysqli ] ... already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

Is this a case of hordes of bots, too many people viewing the site but w/o logging in, or a GoDaddy issue?

Of course, it may well be that GoDaddy are just rubbish, but is it only partly their problem at all? I get it that the only way to up the 'max_user_connections' is to ask GoDaddy administrators to do this for you, and they may not be at all responsive. And I ask this (from the point of knowing next to zilch about SQL) because from a Google search of this error message it seems a pretty common issue and not limited to GoDaddy.

Too many open/looping scripts? Database connections not being closed when a viewer leaves the site?

What web hosts do other clubs with a lot more traffic than us use? What plans are they on compared with us?

*Naresh S*

Ah! That pretty much says it all then. GoDaddy, as you said, are "shite". Tx for the update.

NearlyDead wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:42 pm
Jack wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:17 pm

*Naresh S*

Ah! That pretty much says it all then. GoDaddy, as you said, are "shite". Tx for the update.
Basically it's a shared server (very common practice)

Their best suggestion is to move to a dedicated server; just the £100 a month.

Absolutely dire.

When I can commit some time (and more money...), I'll move us to HostGator. But as I've said, 8 straight days onto customer service now.. need some me time.

If you fancied taking a look NearlyDead and have knowledge, knock yourself out. I can give you the detail in PMs...

excessbee wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:46 pm
excessbee wrote: July 9th, 2022, 9:29 am Looks better this morning. On my phone, the house, envelope and bell icons have reappeared. Fingers crossed.
Well, that was short lived. PM and quotes logo have gone again. The 'home' logo has changed into the Newport badge, not the club one. Keep on having to login despite always ticking 'remember me'.
This is shouldn't be the case.

What device / browser are you using?

George Street-Bridge wrote: July 10th, 2022, 10:06 am
pembsexile wrote: July 10th, 2022, 7:54 am ... One registered user, one email address. You may have to allow for people who have family members who may use the same address though...
So one registered user per email address, but also more than one user per email address.
I thought I made it quite clear in my second sentence. I used the words ‘allow’ and ‘though’. Let me elaborate:

In normal circumstances, a registered user has one email address. However, as happens on here with certain family members, allowances will have to be made for people who may or may not have different email addresses who live in the same house and could possibly have the same IP address. When registering, they could inform admin that there are different users with the same address.

Given the allowance for this scenario, in normal circumstances this would cut out the absurdity of people registering and using two or more user names. We have had people banned for that.

Jack wrote: July 10th, 2022, 9:56 pm How do you propose governing this and disproving shenanigans...
No real idea as I am not an IT expert. I am on your side and understand that people with multiple usernames are a pain in the butt. My only non tech suggestion was for people to advise you on registration that there may be a few family members that share the same address. How you technically police this I have no idea.

I have never really understood why people would want to use different user names when posting anyway. One person, one username. Bloody ridiculous if people choose to disregard this and somehow flout the rules.