Re: Meet the Manager Evening - Thursday

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:06 am I am not a board member or anything to do with the club. I too don't live near Newport, and it costs me far more to travel to home games than the ticket price.
I would have attended the meet the manager meeting myself, but for testing positive for covid.

Many years ago I joined the over the bridge exiles, in order to receive information such as Argus clippings, that although out of date did provide information that kept me in the loop so to speak.

The Iplayer service was a godsend during covid, but shouldn't be in competition with actually attending. Likewise a meet the manager meeting SHOULD be better for those actually in attendance, otherwise why bother at all?

It pisses me off that these things are put out for free, to assist those like myself who were unable to attend, but what happens is whinging based on entitlement. What next, meet the manger who will come and sit on your own settee FFS?
What's a manger?

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:06 am

It pisses me off that these things are put out for free, to assist those like myself who were unable to attend, but what happens is whinging based on entitlement. What next, meet the manger who will come and sit on your own settee FFS?
An intriguing answer, why should there be a charge for communication, and perhaps you can provide examples where other Clubs at our level or below charge for similar services?
Surely the 'Meet the Manager' event was just a promotional activity which I, and seemingly many other supporters enjoyed and welcomed. Mind you it would have been enhanced had Part 2 been streamed.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:55 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:06 am

An intriguing answer, why should there be a charge for communication, and perhaps you can provide examples where other Clubs at our level or below charge for similar services?
Surely the 'Meet the Manager' event was just a promotional activity which I, and seemingly many other supporters enjoyed and welcomed. Mind you it would have been enhanced had Part 2 been streamed.
We and all other clubs charge for Ifollow. As part of that service, there is a press conference with the manager. If when attending a game, you choose to upgrade to hospitality, there is a talk given pre game by the manager, giving the team sheet, and how he expects the opposition to set up, and their players to watch out for. These things are all known as premium content for which, understandably, you will pay a premium for.
The managers meeting was streamed on YouTube for free.

The previous meeting I attended, the manager had to leave straight after the event, and drive overnight to meet the the team, who were playing away on the Friday. I noticed that at this meeting, he mentioned that he had driven separately from the players transport, in order to return in good time for the meeting, from the training sessions up north.

Now I don't know how many attended the meeting, as I wasn't there. However it didn't look bursting at the seams, from what I saw on YouTube. So the manager puts himself out, for those attending for what exactly? Why not do it from the team hotel, if no-one wants to attend, and no one has a burning question to ask?

Now I believe that someone indicated that there were two questions asked, at the meeting that followed. Can I ask anyone that attended, if those questions were asked to the manager, or the board? Where questions curtailed, or were there just no further questions from the floor?
Last edited by Bangitintrnet on July 5th, 2022, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:42 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:06 am I am not a board member or anything to do with the club. I too don't live near Newport, and it costs me far more to travel to home games than the ticket price.
I would have attended the meet the manager meeting myself, but for testing positive for covid.

Many years ago I joined the over the bridge exiles, in order to receive information such as Argus clippings, that although out of date did provide information that kept me in the loop so to speak.

The Iplayer service was a godsend during covid, but shouldn't be in competition with actually attending. Likewise a meet the manager meeting SHOULD be better for those actually in attendance, otherwise why bother at all?

What's a manger?
It's about the same as the difference between a Barrister and a Barista.

One just lies down, and the other has to stand up all day and work for a living. 😁

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 11:50 am

What's a manger?
It's about the same as the difference between a Barrister and a Barista.

One just lies down, and the other has to stand up all day and work for a living. 😁
Well yes I suppose post-pandemic coffee shops aren’t as busy as they once were.

There was a news item the other day about the Barrister's Strike, and a young Barrister brimming with entitlement stated that a Barista could earn more than a Barrister.

Well become a Barista then, and stand for 10 hours alongside a machine trying to produce 3 different coffees every minute of your working life, instead of sponging off the state, doing bugger all, because your job has effectively moved to Rwanda.

Rant at the telly over, but you get my drift.

What's a manger?

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:21 pm There was a news item the other day about the Barrister's Strike, and a young Barrister brimming with entitlement stated that a Barista could earn more than a Barrister.

Well become a Barista then, and stand for 10 hours alongside a machine trying to produce 3 different coffees every minute of your working life, instead of sponging off the state, doing bugger all, because your job has effectively moved to Rwanda.

No, I don’t really : I think you are grossly mistaken. A highly trained individual deserves proper reward. Baristas deserve a decent salary for their labour but Jeez we can all make a cup of fecking coffee. I want someone defending ( or prosecuting me for that matter ) to be adequately rewarded for the many years of training needed for them to achieve being called to the bar. There were very few degrees I respected as much or more as pharmacy or medicine for the intellectual rigour and expertise required to practice but law was certainly one of them.

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:21 pm There was a news item the other day about the Barrister's Strike, and a young Barrister brimming with entitlement stated that a Barista could earn more than a Barrister.

No, I don’t really : I think you are grossly mistaken. A highly trained individual deserves proper reward. Baristas deserve a decent salary for their labour but Jeez we can all make a cup of fecking coffee. I want someone defending ( or prosecuting me for that matter ) to be adequately rewarded for the many years of training needed for them to achieve being called to the bar. There were very few degrees I respected as much or more as pharmacy or medicine for the intellectual rigour and expertise required to practice but law was certainly one of them.

lowandhard wrote: July 5th, 2022, 11:48 pm

The bottom line in work is you have to be necessary or you don't have work. It has zero to do with training or education.

The reason why a junior Barrister does not earn what a Barista can, is due entirely because of need. There is zero point in the Country educating people to a high standard if it is not required, and then expect the tax payer to meet the cost of trying to employ them.

The career path for most graduates these days starts with agency work, which they will normally be over qualified for. Barista and hospitality work generally are jobs that tend to have vastly overqualified personnel, along with administration and delivery staff. The vast majority of whom will never achieve the job they are qualified to do.

Councils used to employ graduates at low pay rates in order that they could have actual work on their CV, but the Council would be burdened with the training cost, only to lose staff to the private sector who could pay more.

Barrister's striking for more public service pay, is akin to wanting a free lunch on the tax payer. If they want more pay get a better paying job, or be so good as a barrister, that your work is not paid out of the public purse.

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 6th, 2022, 12:41 am

The bottom line in work is you have to be necessary or you don't have work. It has zero to do with training or education.

The reason why a junior Barrister does not earn what a Barista can, is due entirely because of need. There is zero point in the Country educating people to a high standard if it is not required, and then expect the tax payer to meet the cost of trying to employ them.

The career path for most graduates these days starts with agency work, which they will normally be over qualified for. Barista and hospitality work generally are jobs that tend to have vastly overqualified personnel, along with administration and delivery staff. The vast majority of whom will never achieve the job they are qualified to do.

Councils used to employ graduates at low pay rates in order that they could have actual work on their CV, but the Council would be burdened with the training cost, only to lose staff to the private sector who could pay more.

Barrister's striking for more public service pay, is akin to wanting a free lunch on the tax payer. If they want more pay get a better paying job, or be so good as a barrister, that your work is not paid out of the public purse.
Cuts to legal aid mean many barristers, including myself, abandoned criminal law. The result is massive delays in criminal justice, cases often taking a couple of years to come before a court. Imagine you are a woman who has been the victim of rape having to wait that long. Imagine you are a man subjected to a false allegation having to wait that long.

And when and if the case finally gets to court imagine one or both the barristers in charge of the case are badly paid, inexperienced and often demotivated.

Imagination was never really your strong point was it?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: July 6th, 2022, 11:21 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: July 6th, 2022, 12:41 am

Cuts to legal aid mean many barristers, including myself, abandoned criminal law. The result is massive delays in criminal justice, cases often taking a couple of years to come before a court. Imagine you are a woman who has been the victim of rape having to wait that long. Imagine you are a man subjected to a false allegation having to wait that long.

And when and if the case finally gets to court imagine one or both the barristers in charge of the case are badly paid, inexperienced and often demotivated.

Imagination was never really your strong point was it?
Well said Stan. People who imagine that Barristas should be rewarded more than Barristers explains why this country is in the state it’s in. Years of training and experience vs working a coffee machine, I ask you! I’m off to make myself a cup now 😂
In this parlous state, you can get a coffee every five yards but you can’t get justice. Justice delayed is justice denied. I suppose we’re supposed to get a coffee while we’re waiting!

Sorry but the reason the Country is in the mess that it is, is simply due to entitlement. Barista's in London were mainly Eastern Europeans funding their University degrees and their accommodation. They work hard, unlike the local barristers who quote Wattaboutisms, a Dentist, a Barista. If you are unhappy with your pay, work elseware, don't expect me to pay for your learning if there is too many of you. If you are really that interested in your work move to Rwanda

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... n=sharebar

Perhaps you will be interested in reading the comments.