Re: Josh Pask

George Street-Bridge wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:25 am We've done this before but I think the idea an agent can dictate a club wanting Player A has to take Player B too is ridiculous. Only a club can.
I’m happy this scenario won’t happen at County now, but I was less convinced about some of our previous dealings. When our ex-manager is/was contracted to a particular agent and then said manager signs players also with the same agency, the whole thing stinks.

In fact, it’s the sort of arrangement which I’d expect HMRC to be interested in.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:57 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:25 am We've done this before but I think the idea an agent can dictate a club wanting Player A has to take Player B too is ridiculous. Only a club can.
You say that George. However for that to be the case it would have to mean that clubs are on at least an equal footing with agents in negotiations. To be in that position clubs would need to be in a position to walk away. They are not. We all know they are not.

Agents are drains on football. If agents were not in a position of power over clubs all clubs would have nothing to do with them. You are right we have done this before. I genuinely wish you were right. But sadly I believe that you were wrong before and that you are wrong now.

If you believe I am wrong tell me why. Then we can debate the issue. If you can bring forward good arguments as to why you are right you will convince me. As I said I would love to be wrong. However simply saying that we have discussed this before and my views are ridiculous make you seem a tad arrogant.
You can say that again! 😉

[quote="Stan A. Einstein" post_id=674520 time=1656613185

Why would any player use an agent? Every penny that an agent receives is a penny the player doesn't. Put simply players see their pay cheque. Agents have the whip hand. If
[/quote]

I know the point you’re making Stan, but don’t forget that it’s usually the new club who pay the agent’s fee when they sign a player, hence we see the release of the annual list which outlines what clubs pay to agents. If the agent tells the club “my client wants £50k pa”, the club don’t say ‘Ok we’ll pay the player £45k plus the agent £5k”, if doesn’t work like that. Clubs have an annual budget set aside to pay agents’ fees.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:33 pm [quote="Stan A. Einstein" post_id=674520 time=1656613185

Why would any player use an agent? Every penny that an agent receives is a penny the player doesn't. Put simply players see their pay cheque. Agents have the whip hand. If
I know the point you’re making Stan, but don’t forget that it’s usually the new club who pay the agent’s fee when they sign a player, hence we see the release of the annual list which outlines what clubs pay to agents. If the agent tells the club “my client wants £50k pa”, the club don’t say ‘Ok we’ll pay the player £45k plus the agent £5k”, if doesn’t work like that. Clubs have an annual budget set aside to pay agents’ fees.
[/quote]

Exactly.

I appreciate that the exact figures are unknown but I agree entirely with the principle. A club could advertize a player contract for £50,000 pa for two years with a view to making a further offer 12 months hence if things go well. It would work but only if all the clubs agreed to do that. They won't.

There is an awful lot of money swilling about in football and an awful lot of secrecy as to how that money is spent. And invariably that leads to temptation. And temptation leads to corruption.

Bangitintrnet wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:37 pm A Barrister is an agent representing his or her client(s) intrest, what specifically do you see as different with a football agent Stan.

A barrister is not an agent. He or she is counsel. We advise, we represent in litigation.

We also know how to use question marks and spell interest. :grin:

It's playing with words. An agent represents and advises a client, so again what specifically do you see as different Stan?

Universal agents hold broad authority to act on behalf of the principal, e.g. they may hold a power of attorney (also known as a mandate in civil law jurisdictions) or have a professional relationship, say, as lawyer and client.

The agent is also there to provide a valuation, although as in all things these tend to be subjective rather than scientific. He would also check that the contract wording is suitable, albeit that they are short deals. Football needs someone that can be trusted by both parties, and can make the process quick.

George Street-Bridge wrote: July 1st, 2022, 8:18 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:19 pm Every penny that an agent receives is a penny the player doesn't.
That's a false premise. The agent can - should, from the player's end of it, if he's doing his job properly - inflate more pennies into the deal so the player gets more than he would without being represented.
Well I see your point, nonetheless Newport County have funds to pay wages but for the agents taking funds that pot would be a bigger fund.
It would therefore make sense for all clubs to offer a wage and cut out agents don't you think?

Bangitintrnet wrote: July 1st, 2022, 8:41 am The agent is also there to provide a valuation, although as in all things these tend to be subjective rather than scientific. He would also check that the contract wording is suitable, albeit that they are short deals. Football needs someone that can be trusted by both parties, and can make the process quick.
This is a message board about Newport County not a message board about your obsession with me. If you want pm me but please stop boring the arse of genuine County supporters.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: July 1st, 2022, 10:17 am Well I see your point, nonetheless Newport County have funds to pay wages but for the agents taking funds that pot would be a bigger fund.
It would therefore make sense for all clubs to offer a wage and cut out agents don't you think?
It makes sense for all clubs to manage all their outgoings within the rules in a way which they they think will maximise their chances on the pitch, it's that simple. On the most recent figures I think we were the second most frugal in L2 - after Hartlepool - in spending on agents. Long may that continue.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: July 1st, 2022, 10:22 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: July 1st, 2022, 8:41 am The agent is also there to provide a valuation, although as in all things these tend to be subjective rather than scientific. He would also check that the contract wording is suitable, albeit that they are short deals. Football needs someone that can be trusted by both parties, and can make the process quick.
This is a message board about Newport County not a message board about your obsession with me. If you want pm me but please stop boring the arse of genuine County supporters.
You brought up the topic of agents, and it is you ignoring debate. I am asking you why you think representing someone else's interests is suitable in the case of a barrister, but not in the case of a football agent?