Re: Women's Euro's

phil_in_npton wrote: July 31st, 2022, 8:38 pm Good Afternoon
I’m a football fan, a Newport County fan and English. I have enjoyed the England ladies success. I have never been moved enough to watch International football live. My daughter is a football fan, a Newport County fan, a Man Utd fan(???) and an England fan who goes to both mens and ladies matches.
We support any home nation against other teams, whoever it is. We bear no football grudges against other teams but celebrate victory against them. The sheer joy of seeing the team you support succeed is a memory for life.
There is no reason for people who are not English to be supportive of an English victory. They react how they wish and this message board has a unique mixture of Welsh/English folk. I like to think that adds to its interest and won’t divide us.

Phil in Northampton
Spot on Phil. I didn’t celebrate England success but to see the faces of the supporters enjoying the success is what it is all about. Hope your daughter enjoyed herself.

My thoughts are this. Womens football has a lot of improving to do. ‘Some’ of the goalkeeping and ‘some’ of the defending in the competition was diabolical. There was a massive gulf on show between the top teams and the ‘rest’. That should change with more girls playing the game. What I object to is people trying to compare the womens game to the mens game. It is completely different and that should be highlighted and celebrated. You don’t get comparisons in other sports such as Athletics or Swimming. Kelly Holmes doesn’t get compared to Seb Coe. Rebecca Adlington doesn’t get compared to Adam Peatty. Why should female footballers be any different?

Well done England. Hope the supporters have a great party. Can’t wait for the World Cup when we play them and bloody stuff ‘em.

KingOfGwent wrote: July 31st, 2022, 9:44 pm All this will do is accelerate women's football's progress into an identikit to men's, with the same old teams dominating as per. Remember when Yeovil and Notts County were in the WSL? And then Man United applied for a license and the FA put them straight in the second tier?
I think that is indeed a pity. The franchising system imposed on the WSL saw a lot of women’s teams with a long and proud history (Doncaster Belles, for example) basically left with no option but to take demotion because they couldn’t afford to compete with the franchised teams (yer Man Cities, yer Man Utds). On the flip side, the justification for it was that it would improve the national team - which I suppose is what tonight has proved.

I agree with you that the domestic women’s game in England runs the risk of being uncompetitive in the same way that the top flight of the men’s game is. But you can’t argue that an international competition like the one we’ve just witnessed isn’t a proper, genuine test.

Let’s just hope that Cymru can make it to the World Cup. Their big game against Slovenia is in Cardiff on 6 September and promises to be a belter. Tickets still available, priced very reasonably.

I want womens football to flourish but in truth it’s only the larger clubs will be able to make it work : imagine if County women were a flourishing entity, we don’t have a training ground with facilities for spectators and RP would be out of the question. It’s great if you’ve got a second stadium better than most in L2 just for your U23 side! We will probably never have anything like that.

phil_in_npton wrote: July 31st, 2022, 8:38 pm Good Afternoon
I’m a football fan, a Newport County fan and English. I have enjoyed the England ladies success. I have never been moved enough to watch International football live. My daughter is a football fan, a Newport County fan, a Man Utd fan(???) and an England fan who goes to both mens and ladies matches.
We support any home nation against other teams, whoever it is. We bear no football grudges against other teams but celebrate victory against them. The sheer joy of seeing the team you support succeed is a memory for life.
There is no reason for people who are not English to be supportive of an English victory. They react how they wish and this message board has a unique mixture of Welsh/English folk. I like to think that adds to its interest and won’t divide us.

Phil in Northampton
Hi Phil - I [hope] I've been supportive of the women’s game and the England team whilst also expressing my cynicism & exhaustion around certain aspects - I will say now England were clearly the best team in the tournament and frankly rattled Germany and battered many teams they faced so yes good on them and well done (whisper it but I watched extra time of the final and half watched a few other games) – also rest assured for many of us the ‘anti English’ thing is very much tongue in cheek – skepticism of the women’s game aside I think there is a hint of jealously as Wales women’s narrowly missed out on qualification and even cynical me would have been on it had Wales been competing...

lowandhard wrote: July 31st, 2022, 10:09 pm I want womens football to flourish but in truth it’s only the larger clubs will be able to make it work : imagine if County women were a flourishing entity, we don’t have a training ground with facilities for spectators and RP would be out of the question. It’s great if you’ve got a second stadium better than most in L2 just for your U23 side! We will probably never have anything like that.
I think the women’s game can flourish medium to longer term if it is/does [in no particular order];

1. It drops the persecution complex which is getting old now (the 'ban' and everyone is a 'misogynist' etc)
2. honest around its limitations as a product and ‘owns’ that and markets itself on its own merits – no point in over promising
3. looks for new markets - fans the of the men’s game [male or female] will not, in great numbers, drop their men’s teams to support either the women’s arm of their men’s team or another women’s team – the game needs new fans not just recycled ones
4. contrition and thankfulness for the massive support it has had from the dreaded men’s game and men themselves and not griping - to borrow a milortay parlance - 'stop griping and crack on' (see no.1)
5. weans itself off over reliance on the men’s game
6. better and more consistent kick off times for league games
7. realistic pay structures
8. ultimately in my view a ‘central contract’ model where essentially only internationals are full time – if we take the home nations [say] 15-20 level 1 – super elite, £50K retainer and match fees, 10-15 level 2 – elite squad/elite development, £35k & match fees, and similar number of elite/age grade development at a semi pro type level - all with physio/nutrition/coaching & kit support – England could more than afford that and indeed pay a lot more of course for Wales/other home nations less so but there are ways and means
9. a commitment by home nations [on the women’s side only] to enter the Olympic tournament as GB – the Olympics in the women’s game remains the blue riband and is taken very seriously

Knew I should have done a degree in sports management!

Kairdiff Exile wrote: July 31st, 2022, 10:03 pm
KingOfGwent wrote: July 31st, 2022, 9:44 pm All this will do is accelerate women's football's progress into an identikit to men's, with the same old teams dominating as per. Remember when Yeovil and Notts County were in the WSL? And then Man United applied for a license and the FA put them straight in the second tier?
I think that is indeed a pity. The franchising system imposed on the WSL saw a lot of women’s teams with a long and proud history (Doncaster Belles, for example) basically left with no option but to take demotion because they couldn’t afford to compete with the franchised teams (yer Man Cities, yer Man Utds). On the flip side, the justification for it was that it would improve the national team - which I suppose is what tonight has proved.

I agree with you that the domestic women’s game in England runs the risk of being uncompetitive in the same way that the top flight of the men’s game is. But you can’t argue that an international competition like the one we’ve just witnessed isn’t a proper, genuine test.

Let’s just hope that Cymru can make it to the World Cup. Their big game against Slovenia is in Cardiff on 6 September and promises to be a belter. Tickets still available, priced very reasonably.
Agreed - see my plan for the women's game (I am skeptical but NOT 'anti' think it needs a new approach that is all)...

CathedralCounty wrote: July 31st, 2022, 8:34 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: July 31st, 2022, 6:06 pm Lots of empty seats for a sell out 🤔
Re education for you you misogynist - all propaganda must be believed and any criticism is punishable by re education and forever having to politely lie about how great women’s football is and fully accepting that you are jointly responsible for women’s football not being as huge as the men’s game due to a “ban” (that was never actually a “ban”) that ended 50 YEARS AGO…honesty isn’t welcome
Not on that where have I been misogynistic I pointed out that there where empty seats yet the media said it was a sell out

Also if you go over my posts I've said for years County need to start a woman's side and fund it

Also my daughter's and my wife would let me know I'm sure if I was sexist

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:05 am
Re education for you you misogynist - all propaganda must be believed and any criticism is punishable by re education and forever having to politely lie about how great women’s football is and fully accepting that you are jointly responsible for women’s football not being as huge as the men’s game due to a “ban” (that was never actually a “ban”) that ended 50 YEARS AGO…honesty isn’t welcome
Not on that where have I been misogynistic I pointed out that there where empty seats yet the media said it was a sell out

Also if you go over my posts I've said for years County need to start a woman's side and fund it

Jim, I think the post was a poor attempt at humour, not to be taken literally.

pembsexile wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:24 am

Morning Mike well I've just read it again doesn't look like humour to me

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:28 am
pembsexile wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:24 am

Morning Mike well I've just read it again doesn't look like humour to me

It was me being sarcastic and cynical about [certain aspects] of the women’s game and the way its handled and publicized by media/sponsors/'progressives' (in a way that would make 1950’s Maoists proud) – for avoidance of doubt of course you are not a 'misogynist'! that’s my point you’ve made a fair observation and rightly so to do otherwise would be sexist and patronizing indeed you’ve been quite the opposite of a ‘misogynist’ in that respect - genuine apologies for any confusion caused (wasn’t that poor an attempt at humour!)

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:43 am Apologies excepted

I'll call on the club again let's get behind a woman's/girls side perhaps the men's side could contribute as well I know that's how arsenal ladies started
You may be surprised to hear but I agree with you! we did have a very much amateur (and no disrespect to the players who I'm sure gave it their all) women's set up a while ago but that seems to have faded out - we do need a 'County' WFC team and its borderline embarrassing we don't (not because of all the gender politics ballacks just because we should have one and odd we don't) - lets not get delusions so granduer but at same time why not look to germinate something this season and launch for next?

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 1st, 2022, 1:46 pm I'm confused they where saying before last night that the game was a sell out and even the men's team couldn't get tickets yet there was lots of empty seats isn't the capacity 90,000
There did seem to be a cordoned off section draped in black on the side opposite the dugouts/tunnel (looked like something was rigged up anyway) and of course there are the dreaded 'sponsors' tickets where said sponsors are no shows - with various rail strikes and travel chaos maybe some people just could not make it? Or poor resale platforms and convoluted re sale options? (there may have been [say] 1000 Sweden fans who bought tickets who sacked the game off and couldn’t/didn’t/wouldn’t sell their tickets on?). Or, perhaps less likely, you had sports fans who had hedged their bets and maybe decided to go to a commonwealth games event instead? Or perhaps it was a pre agreed limit (slightly lower than actual capacity) with the police/authorities as there is the huge security operation around the commonwealth games, cycling oddly in London, the rest of events in west midlands which means police/volunteers/paramedics spread thin.

Also, its the value factor attached to the cost of a ticket (I presume for marketing reasons the tickets were significantly cheaper than they were for the men’s final?) – that is the issue facing the marketing of minority/women’s sports – people value a product and the ticket to that product far less if they are cheaper. Now there is a break point where tickets become simply too expensive (and arguably we are reaching that point with men’s football & rugby union) but up to a point people will sack off something for which a ticket costs [say] £5-20 or is even free than if it costs £50+ it’s an issue that has faced event marketers of [perceived] less popular events for years – ‘we want a full crowd but if we give tickets away/sell too cheaply we devalue the product’.

CathedralCounty wrote: August 1st, 2022, 3:09 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: August 1st, 2022, 1:46 pm I'm confused they where saying before last night that the game was a sell out and even the men's team couldn't get tickets yet there was lots of empty seats isn't the capacity 90,000
There did seem to be a cordoned off section draped in black on the side opposite the dugouts/tunnel (looked like something was rigged up anyway) and of course there are the dreaded 'sponsors' tickets where said sponsors are no shows - with various rail strikes and travel chaos maybe some people just could not make it? Or poor resale platforms and convoluted re sale options? (there may have been [say] 1000 Sweden fans who bought tickets who sacked the game off and couldn’t/didn’t/wouldn’t sell their tickets on?). Or, perhaps less likely, you had sports fans who had hedged their bets and maybe decided to go to a commonwealth games event instead? Or perhaps it was a pre agreed limit (slightly lower than actual capacity) with the police/authorities as there is the huge security operation around the commonwealth games, cycling oddly in London, the rest of events in west midlands which means police/volunteers/paramedics spread thin.

Also, its the value factor attached to the cost of a ticket (I presume for marketing reasons the tickets were significantly cheaper than they were for the men’s final?) – that is the issue facing the marketing of minority/women’s sports – people value a product and the ticket to that product far less if they are cheaper. Now there is a break point where tickets become simply too expensive (and arguably we are reaching that point with men’s football & rugby union) but up to a point people will sack off something for which a ticket costs [say] £5-20 or is even free than if it costs £50+ it’s an issue that has faced event marketers of [perceived] less popular events for years – ‘we want a full crowd but if we give tickets away/sell too cheaply we devalue the product’.
It would appear all tickets were sold or as near as damn it, now whether sponsors who buy up bucket loads and didn't give them away could as easily be why there were empty seats.
It's akin at club level to season ticket holders not turning up, they will still appear on the figures but not actually there.
Either way that was an amazing number of people there for a women's game albeit the final, compared to how many bother with turning up for club games, although 7pm on a Sunday clearly isn't the best time when there is work or school the next day.